Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Question: "All About Me" Linking Policies

Forum Newbie
    All-About sjsports
    View sjsports's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Question: "All About Me" Linking Policies

I have not been able to find anything explicit regarding the rules for putting urls to my webstore and my brick & mortar website in my "All About Me" page. Is this permitted?

The brick and mortar site has a link to a small catalogue, and contains contact information for our retail stores around Chicago, and our office. The webstore clearly is geared towards selling on the internet.

This is what answer #17 in the 'my ebid' faq says about "all about me":
    "This is where you can upload your photo and information about yourself or your business or anything you want. These details will be shown on your "All About Me" page, buyers frequently view these pages to learn and to gain trust about the sellers they are buying from."

However, the faqs also detail harsh penalties for circumventing e-bid by presenting information in the auctions themselves or in communication with buyers that allow e-bid to be shut out of the transaction. In saying this, they mention the auction page specifically, while saying nothing about 'all about me'. This information also directly contradicts the "anything you want" statement in the portion.

So basically I'm seeking some clarification here--can I provide links in my "all about me" under the the "anything you want" provision, or will I be penalized for linking my webstore and brick & mortar site in "all about me"?

If it is forbidden to do what I'd like to, I'd suggest the phrase "anything you want" in the faq be changed to something more qualified and to explicity state what is and is not allowed on "all about me."

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Question: "All About Me" Linking Policies

Slight variations on interpretation exist, but the rule is "no ecommerce sites". Some get extra fussy about that and say even links to links to links where you can buy are evil, but I take it literally and say if you can buy from the first site it's not allowed, but further links out aren't an issue. But like I say, variations will no doubt be aired!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

You'll likely get opposing answers from us on the forums. It is not clear and each has formed their own interpretation. Your best bet is to ask support direct for what they deem the rules to mean.

I've always taken the view that no links to e-commerce sites should appear anywhere on eBid. I would be interested to hear if you get a different answer from support.

Forum Newbie
    All-About sjsports
    View sjsports's Listings
    Forum Posts

If the rule is open to interpretation, I'm curious if anyone has personally been penalized for content on their "all about me page" and, if so, what the content was.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sjsports View Post
    If the rule is open to interpretation, I'm curious if anyone has personally been penalized for content on their "all about me page" and, if so, what the content was.
    I don't think people are punished, merely asked to remove the offending links. Of course, if you refused or kept putting them back, I daresay they'd get more agitated.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

The idea of listing on an auction site (such as ebid) is to sell on the auction site.

Auction sites are not supposed to be advertising arenas for your own website.

If I owned ebid, I would give a couple of warnings and then remove all the listings.

View ropegg's Feedback (+424)
    All-About ropegg
    View ropegg's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sjsports View Post
    I have not been able to find anything explicit regarding the rules for putting urls to my webstore and my brick & mortar website in my "All About Me" page. Is this permitted?

The brick and mortar site has a link to a small catalogue, and contains contact information for our retail stores around Chicago, and our office. The webstore clearly is geared towards selling on the internet.

This is what answer #17 in the 'my ebid' faq says about "all about me":
    "This is where you can upload your photo and information about yourself or your business or anything you want. These details will be shown on your "All About Me" page, buyers frequently view these pages to learn and to gain trust about the sellers they are buying from."

However, the faqs also detail harsh penalties for circumventing e-bid by presenting information in the auctions themselves or in communication with buyers that allow e-bid to be shut out of the transaction. In saying this, they mention the auction page specifically, while saying nothing about 'all about me'. This information also directly contradicts the "anything you want" statement in the portion.

So basically I'm seeking some clarification here--can I provide links in my "all about me" under the the "anything you want" provision, or will I be penalized for linking my webstore and brick & mortar site in "all about me"?

If it is forbidden to do what I'd like to, I'd suggest the phrase "anything you want" in the faq be changed to something more qualified and to explicity state what is and is not allowed on "all about me."

I don't know if this will help but here is what I got from Mark ----

Hi Peggy,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

We are happy with the two way promotional theme you have incorporated. Can you please keep it to the 'all about me' pages and not on the listings.

Best regards
    Mark

---Quote (Originally by ropegg)---
    Hi Mark,

I would like your approval for what I have done concerning my website and eBid. If you do not approve please do not remove my listing or strike through my name as I will make the changes you require.

I am trying to use eBid and my website to work together and promote them both. In doing this *I have added a link to my website in the "My All About Me"* page --- a *link in this listing (1175887309-13905-0) to my "My All About Me"* page and a *link in my website to one of my eBid stores*. If you approve of this I would like to add the link to "My All About Me" page in all of my eBid listings.

I know you all are very busy but please take the time to check these so I will know that it will be alright to proceed.

I upload my website to Google base monthly so this has the potential to help too.

I thank you in advance for your time and all the wonderful things you are doing for the eBid site. It is looking so much more professional and a lot easier to navigate.

God Bless,
    Peggy
    ropegg
    Last edited by ropegg; 11th June 2011 at 04:29 PM.
    My stores:
    Ropegg
    Cups-Cups-Cups
    And Other Stuff
    Peggy A's Jewels

God Bless and have a great day!!!!

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    You'll likely get opposing answers from us on the forums. It is not clear and each has formed their own interpretation. Your best bet is to ask support direct for what they deem the rules to mean.

I've always taken the view that no links to e-commerce sites should appear anywhere on eBid. I would be interested to hear if you get a different answer from support.
    Agree with astral, your best bet would be to ask support, though (as usual) I tend to agree with astral's interpretation.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Thread Information