eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The 'Whatever happened to...?' thread.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default The 'Whatever happened to...?' thread.

Things you lament the passing of that you enjoyed in days of yore.

Oat Crunchies: A breakfast cereal shaped like little pillows, that filled with milk and popped in your mouth.

Mackintosh's Weekend: The best box of chocolates ever - a selection of chocolates and candies. The Lime Slice was my favourite.

Spangles: Old English were the best.

Co-op Milk Tokens: Little plastic disks that you used to pay the milkman. Stopped the local kids from nicking the money off your doorstep.

The Pig Man: Collected all the food 'slops' to feed the pigs. Always gave us kids a Bulls-Eye or Gob-stopper, and our parents pork at Xmas.

Cap Guns: I think Health & Safety killed them off.

Any more for the list?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

I remember home milk delivery, from the local dairy to the milk box on the front porch, does that count?

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Lurker
    Eastern Wisconsin, Wisconsin, United States
    View manna77's Feedback (+678)
    All-About manna77
    View manna77's Listings
    Forum Posts

now I am from US and will let you all now I am old. I remember the milkman coming in a horse drawn wagon. Coal delivered through the basement window, The ragman picking up rags in a horse wagon. The cement ash container by the allys for the furnice ashes. I could go on. I am 69 years old. The 1947 snow storm here in Milwaukee where we got the most snow ever. Thanks for letting me roll on.

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

Oh! I remember Mackintosh's Weekend - absolutely scrummy! Spangles too and I agree "Old English" were the best flavour.

What about ODDFELLOWS sweeties - like giant aromatics although all different colours. CHOCOLATE CRISPIES - think you can still get them but they just don't taste the same. Same with MB Bars, Rhubarb Rock, Whoppas and Duncan's Hazlenut chocolate. They still sell them but they just don't TASTE the same as they did when I was younger!

I've just looked back at all my yesterdays. You wouldn't know I was on a diet, would you? LOL!!!!

BTW: I can remember the Ragman coming round the scheme every couple of weeks in his horse and cart, blowing his bugle to let us know he was there. It was a fight to get rags to see if we could get a paltry balloon or some wee scrawny toy which broke about two minutes after it was in your hands!

I also remember playing Kick the Can, Rounders, Tennis (our version!) and Football in the middle of the street. There was a great big School playing field directly opposite our houses but we preferred the street!
    Last edited by KAYS6912; 9th February 2011 at 01:59 AM.
    Nancy
    Ceud měle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

Quote Originally Posted by manna77 View Post
    now I am from US and will let you all now I am old. I remember the milkman coming in a horse drawn wagon. Coal delivered through the basement window, The ragman picking up rags in a horse wagon. The cement ash container by the allys for the furnice ashes. I could go on. I am 69 years old. The 1947 snow storm here in Milwaukee where we got the most snow ever. Thanks for letting me roll on.
    Fabulous - you can roll on as much as you like xx
    I was thinking about the Rag and Bone man who used to come round in a horse and cart buying old clothes rags and furniture when I was a child living in London xx

. . . .and I'm sure that wagonwheels were at least 5 times larger than they are now!!

One thing I dont miss is being given homemade cough syrrup - onions soaked in suger overnight which formed the ghastly stuff - honestly mum's would be locked up if they did that now - it was torture to the tastebuds . . .yuk!!!

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

We had to collect the milk in a pail (hope that is the correct word ) either going to the shop or where my grandmother lived he came round in an old truck. But milk was sold 'loose' . No fancy packaging and that was in the 50s and 60s

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

A man in a van came through the neighborhood. He'd stop at our house if we put up a cardboard sign showing him we had items to be dry cleaned, and of course he'd deliver them, cleaned, next week or however long the interval was.

Women actually wore dresses 7 days a week. I'm glad those days have passed.

My grandparents heated their living room with a kerosene burner approximately 2 feet tall.

People who had heart attacks were almost always goners. I'm glad those days have passed!

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View gyronny's Feedback (+1772)
    All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

I used to love 5 boys chocolate bars.
    Remember playing on bombsites or in the forest for the whole day.
    The open air Lido let us in free at 7.00am and was that water cold!
    We'd spend the day there.
    I was out so often I think my mum used to wonder whose child I was :-)

Forum Saint
    Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View crafters_corner_2's Feedback (+327)
    All-About crafters_corner_2
    View crafters_corner_2's Listings
    Forum Posts

"What about ODDFELLOWS sweeties - like giant aromatics although all different colours. CHOCOLATE CRISPIES - think you can still get them but they just don't taste the same. Same with MB Bars, Rhubarb Rock, Whoppas and Duncan's Hazlenut chocolate. They still sell them but they just don't TASTE the same as they did when I was younger! "

We have an 'Original Sweetshop' in our town. I have bought Sweet Peanuts, Sweet Coconut and Little Gems - all to give the grandchildren a taste of what Nan used to love as a child.

It was all sweet and sugary and mostly lacked taste.

The difference is, when we were kids the sweets were full of additives, artificial flavour and colours. Do you remember painting your lips with the red smarties? Bad was good in them days

Thread Information