eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone remember...

Froncysyllte Llangollen, Wrexham, United Kingdom
    View tjsprinting's Feedback (+433)
    All-About tjsprinting
    View tjsprinting's Listings
    Forum Posts

kali, you can still get it online from - a quarter of dot co etc etc!!!

Made to measure internal and external softwood doors and gates.
    Visit our ebid store to see a wide range of ledge and brace, cottage, stable and garage doors along with a selection of single and paired gates. Just click on the banner above

It was KALI, Mel - 'Rainbow kali' was in layers down the big jar . My corner shop in Sheffield used to sell it along with 'penny fishes' which were boiled sweets in the shape of a fish - about 4 inches long, which you could use to lick and dip into the kali!
    (This was in the 1950's just after rationing of sweets finished. We also had 'Eiffel Tower lemonade crystals' acid yellow kali which you theoretically used to make lemonade. it didnt work, so we ate it the same way as the other kali and it stained evrything, esp. the 'dipping' finger!! LOL
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

We used to use a small bar of chocolate (there used to be 1d bars) for dipping - it was called Kali where I grew up.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

I used to like looking at kali in the big jars in our sweetie shop all those years ago. The bright colours made It tempting enough for me to buy it, but I never really liked it that much. Much preferred the black jacks, fruit salads & traffic light lollies.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

For an unadulterated sugar hit you couldn't really beat Sugar Mice. Though I remain baffled to this day when anyone thought making a sweet in the shape of a mouse was a good idea.

A did lead eBidder 'Sweets And Memories' into finding a source and selling them but, sadly, they were not as I remembered them. Either they were not made the same as back when I was still in short trousers or my memory of them was different to the fact.

Were sweets and chocolate bars bigger when we were kids or is it just that we were smaller and so they looked bigger?

Sure did not have that in US, very interesting. We had sweet sour powder in a straw, called something like Flavor straws or something in different colors/flavors. Remember lime, cherry, orange. Torn off a bit of the end and "drank" them. Turned your mouth all blue, red, or whatever. Also came in packages, looked somewhat like Kool-aide that you could tip right into your waiting mouth. Geez, talk about sugar high!

Froncysyllte Llangollen, Wrexham, United Kingdom
    View tjsprinting's Feedback (+433)
    All-About tjsprinting
    View tjsprinting's Listings
    Forum Posts

all these posh sweetie extras to dip into the kali, we were the common lot we just licked our finger and dunked it in the bag!!!

Made to measure internal and external softwood doors and gates.
    Visit our ebid store to see a wide range of ledge and brace, cottage, stable and garage doors along with a selection of single and paired gates. Just click on the banner above

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    For an unadulterated sugar hit you couldn't really beat Sugar Mice. Though I remain baffled to this day when anyone thought making a sweet in the shape of a mouse was a good idea.

A did lead eBidder 'Sweets And Memories' into finding a source and selling them but, sadly, they were not as I remembered them. Either they were not made the same as back when I was still in short trousers or my memory of them was different to the fact.

Were sweets and chocolate bars bigger when we were kids or is it just that we were smaller and so they looked bigger?

Yes, and cookbooks from that time have cups and cups of sugar, whole cream, all cuts of meat, lots of gravy, etc, in the recipes. Nothing wrong with that back then, it was good wholesome food, and having cupcakes for a snack or a candy bar was ok too.

Thread Information