Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures??

Default Pictures??

New boy here. Probably asking old and obvious question, but I'm an electronics engineer, not a computer nerd! When I search for something to buy, none of the pictures come up, just the little red "f.o.a.d. cross" to tell me I'm not going to get them; and to get this far takes ages. What should I take a spanner/hammer/size-12-boot to? My computer? Windoze Blister? I can't believe eBid is really this hopeless. Had same problem for months and months, not used eBid yet because of it. Anyone else had the same problem and fixed it?!

What Firewall are you using? (Windows Firewall, Comodo, Zone Alarm etc)
    What Browser - IE 7 or 8, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Google Chrome, Seamonkey ?
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View gyronny's Feedback (+1772)
    All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

"What Firewall are you using? (Windows Firewall, Comodo, Zone Alarm etc)
    What Browser - IE 7 or 8, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Google Chrome, Seamonkey ?"

As Gothicina said, plus it sounds more like your computer/set up than an ebid problem
    Have you run any clean up or defrag programmes on your machiner? It could be as simple as that.

http://uk.ebid.net/perl/main.cgi?mo=...=gyronny-books

Forum Lurker
    View Pendipity's Feedback (+191)
    All-About Pendipity
    View Pendipity's Listings
    Forum Posts

Awww, please dont say ebid is hopeless, its a great site I have never had a problem with photos on here and I use lots of pics.

View banrigh's Feedback (+2955)
    All-About banrigh
    View banrigh's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sounds like a browser setting. Check to see if your browser is allowing pictures to load.

Exactly. And MSN is constantly tweeking and patching IE. Changes settings switch to HIGH ALERT and blocks all kinds of stuff.

On IE, even if you fool around with acceleration settings, you get website blocks and you can no longer transfer photos! Crazy ol' MSN.

To give you some more info, it's Windoze Blister with IE8 (I know, I know) and the machine is well and truly de-fragged (paranoid about that since a bad experience with a 386 machine in 1995!). I have never knowingly fiddled with any of the settings of IE8, so it'll be set up exactly as Bill Gates' Heavies have engineered it to be. The security settings are not a thing I worry about; my kids don't get at this flaptop, so I have never fiddled with them. The firewall is not a thing I've ever interfered with either, so I guess it's whatever Windoze Blister defaults to. The Belkin wireless hub says it has a firewall too, but I've never interfered with that either. I cleared out the (huge pile of) temporary internet files and disused cookies last week sometime. All other sites load pictures just fine, and quickly. eBid goes OK (ish) for me if I go for a "list" result to a search; the wheels fall off when I go for a "gallery" (eBayesque) result to a search. It loads the writing at "greased thunderbolt" speed, then dawdles around with the pictures, eventually loading most up as a box with the little red cross inside, just to prove I was waiting in vain. I have never done any of that heavy duty techie stuff like cleaning out my registry; I just don't install programmes unless I have used them on somebody else's computer and decided I can't live without them. Full electronics and mechanical engineering workshops to hand, plus a mouse and a finger, also size 12 boot. Where do you think I should start interfering?!

Hold the front page. Friendly computer nerd has volunteered to come up here and spend a happy half hour interfering with all the settings. I'll be back in a couple of hours to congratulate/berate the computer guru/nerd, as appropriate...

OK, here's the upshot. Computer guru tweaked everything and all he could find was that my modem speed was all over the place. A hardware problem? I can do electronics. Tried new DSL filter. No joy. Tried new telephone master socket (you're not allowed to change these yourself...) (oh well) and the modem speed settled down nicely. All web sites except eBid working very nicely, but, and here's the killer, when I select "gallery" listing and do a search, the pictures take ages to load, and almost none of them ever actually arrive. Clicking on a listing and then right-clicking in the empty picture box and selecting "show picture" doesn't cut the bread either. As eBid is the only site I can find which doesn't work for me, I have to lean towards the conclusion that the problem is with eBid. I shall next ask some friends to try out the same things on their computers, and see what happens to them.

The pictures won't load on IE7 on a friend's computer any more often than they do on mine. They will load most times on IE6 or Safari on another friend's computer, but they won't load on Safari on my machine. If all buyers are having the same sort of trouble I am, eBid's never going to catch up with its main competition. All other machines loading all other sites just fine. Time to contact eBid themselves, I think...

Thread Information