eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: EBID IN 5th PLACE!Where have all the listings gone?

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    To be argumentative...It's not.

eBid must define the 'front page' as the home page of the individual country as that is where 'Front Page' listings go.

Discuss....
    Lol ... you picking at straws again ?!
    So what would you call the page on the link - if it's not the front page leading to the countries home pages ?! lmao - I will have to call it the ebid Turkish slipper page !

So what are the mechanics? Does the site just accept the figures that auction sites tell them or do they interrogate the site to find out the figures?

If the former - then the figures are meaningless anyway.

If the latter - where are they going to get an updated figure from?

Seems to me the problem is with how the site compiles the data it presents rather than with eBid.
    I think they are submitted by the sites. In past this has caused problems when feeby changed way it handled auctions, counting store items, not counting store items, etc, and the figures were jumping around quite a bit.

Don't think there is a means that lets other site come in and take counts directly? But ah, the wonders of the computer age, ya never know.

As the PSU site displays the figures...have you asked them why they differ from what you think they should be? If they present the data they are responsible for its validity.
    Would have thought that the PSU site can only work with figures supplied by the site concerned. If Ebid present psu with a figure - then surely ebid are responsible for that figure.

The AtomicMall case last year shows this. Went from 500,000 listings to over 40 million overnight.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post
    Would have thought that the PSU site can only work with figures supplied by the site concerned. If Ebid present psu with a figure - then surely ebid are responsible for that figure.
    I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on that. To my mind the collator and presenter of the data is responsible for ensuring its validity.

I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on that. To my mind the collator and presenter of the data is responsible for ensuring its validity.
    Psu shows the last update from ebid as 8th January.
    To their mind - that is/was the correct figure at that time.

It obviously has not received any further listing counts from Ebid since that date.
    All other sites are showing the update as of 2nd February (apart from one), so as far as I can make out, PSU are doing their bit.

They are unable to change the figure if they are not supplied with an update.

It could be that the new site wasnt configured in some way to supply the automatic listing update to psu.
    Last edited by MagnetsAndHangers; 2nd February 2010 at 01:10 PM.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post
    They are unable to change the figure if they are not supplied with an update.
    Again I can only say the responsibility for the validity of the data they present is theirs. They shouldn't show a figure at all if it is not being updated on a regular basis.

Removing eBid from the table may, if they are expected to provide the site with data, give the nudge needed to sort things out (or not - if they are not interested)

We are going around in circles though. You maintain that it is eBid's fault that the PSU site is displaying incorrect data and I say it isn't - eBid is not responsible for other people's sites.

End of for me.

Again I can only say the responsibility for the validity of the data they present is theirs. They shouldn't show a figure at all if it is not being updated on a regular basis.

Removing eBid from the table may, if they are expected to provide the site with data, give the nudge needed to sort things out.

We are going around in circles though. You maintain that it is eBid's fault that the PSU site is displaying incorrect data and I say it isn't - eBid is not responsible for other people's sites.

End of for me.
    I recall threads from bonanzle saying they had applied to be included on that table. From that, I deduce that all sites have to apply.
    Ebid is not responsible for other peoples sites - as you say.
    However, ebid has to take responsibility for not supplying the figures if they want to continue to be shown on that table.
    PSU can only show a figure they are given from each site - they have to trust that figure.

As you said, we are only going round in circles here, but I simply cannot see how PSU can update a figure they are not being supplied with.

Could be correct - perhaps removal from the table may just remind them, but would be a step backwards - it is another advertising platform.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have always been under the impression that PSU obtained the figures by taking the figures from the auction sites figures stated in the list of categories on the front page.

I remember one site was accused of cheating by PSU members for including auctions that were listed in two categories in both the categories.

eBid no longer displays their categories in a list but in a slide show which I assume cannot be picked up by PSU
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    I have always been under the impression that PSU obtained the figures by taking the figures from the auction sites figures stated in the list of categories on the front page.

I remember one site was accused of cheating by PSU members for including auctions that were listed in two categories in both the categories.

eBid no longer displays their categories in a list but in a slide show which I assume cannot be picked up by PSU
    Possibly something different in the new site configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post

eBid used to have the site figures on the front page / flag page/ turkish slipper page/ call it what you will, and when that was updated that was when the figures on PSU used to change.

Now that number is no longer shown, only a statement saying over 3.2 million listings, I don't know how our figures will be fed over there?

I hope the figures will be reinstated once the ninja lister gets here. Like Magz I think it would be a step backwards not to be shown on the chart over there.

Thread Information