eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made in England ?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I can't imagine using it as a primary category unless it was a souvenir type thing, but it could be a useful second category perhaps?

Forum Saint
    View RonOne's Feedback (+4296)
    All-About RonOne
    View RonOne's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CarnoustieCats View Post
    Many British firms have moved abroad to save money - sometimes the whole item, sometimes just parts or components - not sure what 'Made in the UK' means any more

There was an internet business this year that moved its new servers to the USA

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

if eBid were so attached to uk ( britain , GB ) why is it wfen you click on BUY or SELL...then Europe....we are at the bottom of the list....???...and please do not say it has to with being in alphabetical order.....Papa

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Whoops, you've taken major offence, sorry about that. The difference between Britain and England often means quite a lot to people in Scotland and Wales, hence my comment.

The UK site flies the Union Flag, the US site flies the Stars and Stripes and so on across the board.

It's a shame you've chosen to focus on my suggestions for fine-tuning rather than the basic approval behind them.

Why do people post subjects for discussion if all they want is unconditional approval? If I'd thought it was a stupid idea, I'd just have ignored it. I thought it an interesting and provocative idea worthy of discussion. Hey ho.
    Sorry for the confusion,I didn't take offence and certainly intended none with my reply.
    I don't really agree with the idea of artificially splitting what is after all only a small island into smaller bits.England,Britain seem much of a muchmess to me but there are people proud to be Scots or Welsh and I have to respect their right to be so.Maybe UK is better title or even British Isles.
    The more I think of it the more I have to accept it wont be easy,if for no other reason that the limited manufacturing base this country has now would mean a marked lack of variety and volume of stuff on offer.

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

We don't always know where the components of an item are made. The made in USA tag may mean the tag was made here but parts were assembled elsewhere and made somewhere completely different.

It would save on shipping if we could buy everything in our own countries but as jewels said insert USA or UK in the title.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baconsdozen View Post
    Sorry for the confusion,I didn't take offence and certainly intended none with my reply.
    Splendid.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeweleffects View Post
    You can always add: Made in UK or USA (or whichever country) in your listing's title/header too.

x
    That is exactly what I will be doing next year on auction sites.

I will only promote 'made in Britain' products on my own websites (when I am the seller) but it is getting so much more difficult to find items that I can sell in this way.

I will be opening a 'Made in Britain' store here as well as stores for items that are currently my clutter or are donated pre-loved goods.

Interesting idea that is doable now. Just list country of origin in listings. No need to make changes.

We love UK goods here, Spode, Wedgwood, Scottish/Welsh wool, Irish Linen are expensive but seen as excellent quality. So origin is a good selling point to US buyers. We share a common ancestry.

We also share job losses, but as pointed out, it is difficult to determine just where an item is made. (one part in China, one is Mexico etc).

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think it is a fine idea. I also like to see products marked "made in the USA". Particularly if the business or seller emphasizes that the product had it's beginning and completion in the USA and is proudly carrying that label.

Thread Information