My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Combining postage question

Default Combining postage question

I'm new here, and come from FeeBay as most people are doing - though have nothing listed yet.
    I have been reading the forums and just wanted to check out combining postage between multiple listings.
    I would ideally like 1 postage charge (69p) no matter how many items are bought.
    Someone buys 2 different items, so the system charges 2x69p.
    I have to change the invoice and deduct 69p from the total?

If they just go ahead and pay, I assume it's still ok to just partly refund that 69p through Paypal, keeping the rest? That wont cancel anything will it?

This is pretty much the only thing putting me off selling here at the moment, for I fear it would be a lot of work having to keep deducting postage from every purchase and refunding those that didn't see my notice.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by funkimunkibadges View Post
    I'm new here, and come from FeeBay as most people are doing - though have nothing listed yet.
    I have been reading the forums and just wanted to check out combining postage between multiple listings.
    I would ideally like 1 postage charge (69p) no matter how many items are bought.
    Someone buys 2 different items, so the system charges 2x69p.
    I have to change the invoice and deduct 69p from the total?

If they just go ahead and pay, I assume it's still ok to just partly refund that 69p through Paypal, keeping the rest? That wont cancel anything will it?

This is pretty much the only thing putting me off selling here at the moment, for I fear it would be a lot of work having to keep deducting postage from every purchase and refunding those that didn't see my notice.

Nothing to fear. Recently we have been talking a lot about features on invoices, and changing them to make it easier to adjust shipping methods.

You are on right track, I do same as you are thinking of doing, I offer a flat fee for domestic shipping. i.e. if I list a bunch of hankies, I make it 99 cents each. Invoice pulls this up and for an item or two it is correct postage on invoice.

But if someone buys 12 hankies, the combined invoice will add up 12 x 99 or about $12 to ship a bunch of hankies that will cost maybe $3 to ship. Obviously wrong (because the 99 cents figures in weight of wrapping, you only have one wrapping for all 12 so weight is off). All you go is go to the drop down by the shipping total (choice of % discount or $ discount) and give a $9 discount. Easy as pie, takes a second.

If you have a sale (via your banner) and offer, lets say a 25% discount on your items, the invoice handles this just as easily. By the total of items is a dropdown which allows you to discount by a % or an amount too. Takes a second too and invoice is revised and ready to send.

It is a bad idea NOT to combine everything on one invoice (i.e. let buyers pay as items close). Ask buyers not to pay until all items are combined into one invoice. You don't want to have to go into 12 separate Paypal purchases and refund shipping costs!! And when packing up to mail, you want to go into one place (the invoice) to check to make sure you packed everything.

At this point note that the invoice will not have the correct shipping method for the combined items. This is what all the talk is about. i.e. it still says envelope by airmail and you have to send the items in a box by another means because they weigh more). Right now we can't change shipping, so we write a little note to buyer (box on invoice) and tell them stuff is heavier and we are shipping by other method.

My suggestion for fixing this problem is to have system leave out shipping methods on combined invoices and allow buyer/seller to fill that portion out themselves. All of our suggestions are still being discussed by management.

Ebid buyers are wonderful and often they buy multiple items, which is wonderful for sellers. The invoice might need a tweek or two by management, but it works fine at present so do not be scared off from selling because of our discussions about making changes to it.

good luck
    Last edited by deltadelta48; 6th October 2009 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks for your replies and clearing that up, hopefuly I will get around to setting up on here soon then

Thread Information