Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Postal delays

Quote Originally Posted by cpeuf1 View Post
    As for the posties striking, well I talk to ours at work a fair bit and it seams that they are asked to do lots of extra hours for free and out of the blue. Not easy when you have a family to look after and you are expected to be home at a certain time to look after the kids because your wife has got to get to her job... And that type of excuse they do not want to know about. Not very nice, I must say.
    But like everybody else here, I, as an end user, just wish they would resolve their problems in a different manner.
    I agree with you about other services not being any better, and in some cases worse, than Royal Mail.

I think that I must be lucky because I have rarely had a problem with Royal Mail.

The postmen probably do too, they're losing wages, strike action is always the last resort because everyone stands to lose.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Mention eBid if you add me on FaceBook or Twitter so I know where you are from.

when does this strike start?
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Quote Originally Posted by craig7501 View Post
    when does this strike start?
    I has started a while back, but it is not national, it goes around. Saying that London has been badly touched for a few weeks I think. The problem is, it is getting worst and more and more depots are joining.
    Caroline

Just click on the following link to see my auctions.
    http://uk.three.ebid.net/perl/main.c...er&go=%A0Go%A0

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    We once had a good postal service where items could be delivered across the country at the same rate, the new guys are only interested in the bifg opportunitiies, not delivering a single letter to remote villages so the poor old Royal mail gets left with the dreg ends and struggle to make it worthwhile. Competition is only good if they all have to provide the same service that the Royal Mail does.

Absolutely spot on Ken but I have to admit to using the 'new guys' every now and again (less than £8 for a large parcel to be picked up at my door, insured and tracked all the way vs. >£8 to walk to the PO, stand in a queue and have no tracking/proof of delivery - it's a no brainer!).

So, what's the answer for the Royal Mail?

Do we boycott the companies who just cherry-pick the best locations to collect from and deliver to at an unbeatable price, do we/they encourage the government to force these companies to offer a same cost service covering all of the UK (including the 'one man and his dog' islands even though that could affect the cost for everyone) or should there be a premium charged for delivering mail to an address 'x miles' away from a depot?

I have a certain sympathy with any work force that takes strike action as it is a fairly drastic, and sometimes fatal, step but these are tough times for us all and I don't think RM are doing themselves any favours.

I sold a book elsewhere 10 days ago, sent it the next day and it just arrived today (I only found this out after the buyer sent me a question/complaint).

I'm not impressed - how many other items have been seriously delayed through no fault of my own but that will leave a negative impression with the buyer?
    Last edited by hypn0t0ad; 16th September 2009 at 09:09 PM.

Rock, Pop, Indie, Dance and more CDs

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rednosty View Post
    I don't think this helped in my Ban from thiefbay SEVERAL customers Complaining They haven't received an Item and so start a Poopal dispute and neg you right away . This caused me to become a BAD SELLER (in thiefbay's eyes) and therefore banned.
    Hey Red, Of course it is your fault there is a postal strike. We saw you over at the postoffice causing trouble and convincing them to go out on strike.

I guess it is your fault the sun comes up too. My my, I don't miss those silly feebay buyers. We definitely brought only the good ones over here thank goodness! I remember being snowed in one winter day, the city was closed with no bus service, no cars moving,20 inches of blowing snow, and someone complained when I did not get to the PO to mail her package (hey lady, no one was there)!

View smiffy49er's Feedback (+570)
    All-About smiffy49er
    View smiffy49er's Listings
    Forum Posts

Unfortunately most of you are only seeing it from a sellers point of view.

I have to say DO NOT believe all the hype the tabloids are printing.

If you were having your working conditions changed, your pay basically cut and your hours increased with no comeback whatsoever I hope to goodness you would also use the last resort of striking.

Please believe me when I tell you it is a last resort the vast majority do not want to strike but are left with little choice.

I think I kept that quite polite and dignified but could have said so much more.

Go on click you know you want to

http://www.justgiving.com/Charyn-Smith

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy49er View Post
    Unfortunately most of you are only seeing it from a sellers point of view.

I have to say DO NOT believe all the hype the tabloids are printing.
    Smiffy, I don't think I've read a tabloid in 10 years so I'm not getting much hype from them

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy49er View Post
    If you were having your working conditions changed, your pay basically cut and your hours increased with no comeback whatsoever I hope to goodness you would also use the last resort of striking.
    I don't have that 'last resort' option open to me as I don't have a union but otherwise the situation you describe is the one I find myself in at the moment (as do many of the other people who are lucky enough to be employed right now).

Rock, Pop, Indie, Dance and more CDs

View smiffy49er's Feedback (+570)
    All-About smiffy49er
    View smiffy49er's Listings
    Forum Posts

We used to know when we had a labour government the working man would be looked after...not any more.

The current economic climate makes it worse as well because employers know there will always be someone to replace you if you are not happy.

Now I'm getting off my soap box pmsl

Go on click you know you want to

http://www.justgiving.com/Charyn-Smith

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

Yeah things are not easy for no one at the moment and on top of it all neither the posties or you Matt have a great chance to find a job somewhere else. And if you do, you will probably earn less than what you are earning now! My husband has been looking for work for quite a while and month after month he can see salaries taking a tumble! And then they expect us to spend money!!
    Caroline

Just click on the following link to see my auctions.
    http://uk.three.ebid.net/perl/main.c...er&go=%A0Go%A0

Thread Information