eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you drive to work?

Default Do you drive to work?

And park at work?
    Well you may want to read this....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/motoring/...55765B5388BDE2
    Caroline

Just click on the following link to see my auctions.
    http://uk.three.ebid.net/perl/main.c...er&go=%A0Go%A0

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View gyronny's Feedback (+1772)
    All-About gyronny
    View gyronny's Listings
    Forum Posts

Is Nottingham Council run by sacked greedbay employees?

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Gyronny-Books
    Last edited by gyronny; 1st August 2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I cycle, so not a problem for me

That's a lot of money to park a car.

I can't drive so I have to use public transport. Because I work for the council I get a 20% discount on my yearly bus pass, but even then it still costs me £560. At the moment I walk the 4 miles to my second job as part of my training for the charity walk, mainly because there is one hell of a steep and long hill to climb and it's good training to push myself when climbing it.

I've no doubt that the charges for parking are fuelled by the councils need to boost their funds and not by a more sensible sense of duty to cut the amount of traffic on our roads.

It is way past time that our public transport was sorted out and made more reliable and the prices brought down to encourage folk to leave their cars at home. There is far too much traffic on the roads these days and it could be reduced by a high percentage if public transport was better.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Mention eBid if you add me on FaceBook or Twitter so I know where you are from.

It's a catch 22. Councils need money to improve public transport, but if people are forced to use the current very poor (in some places) public transport they are unable to get to work. I have a 45 min drive to work each day. If I were to take public transport it would take approx 2 hours - a mix of buses and walking - I'd be forced to look for another job closer to home

If the cost is passed on to employee's it will just widen the gap between the higher paid and lower paid. The poorer people not being able to afford a parking space, while the richer ones can.

We already pay a lot of taxes that should go to our roads or public transport and obviously this money is diverted somewhere else. I do not believe for one minute that this new tax would go to improve public transports. Instead it will fill up the debt we now have because of the Billions given to the banks or something like that!
    Caroline

Just click on the following link to see my auctions.
    http://uk.three.ebid.net/perl/main.c...er&go=%A0Go%A0

Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
    View Fossy's Feedback (+826)
    All-About Fossy
    View Fossy's Listings
    Forum Posts

I walk.

From the lounge, across the hallway to the Office.
    Chris
    (The sex & drugs have gone, but the rock 'n roll lives on)

Listen to Fossy on the Mojo Fingers Blues Show - Every weekday from 7 till 8pm

If Harmonica players don't blow - they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by fossy7 View Post
    I walk.

From the lounge, across the hallway to the Office.
    That far, my lounge is my office.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think its a terrible thing to inflict on a company WHO lease most of the Offices etc and the spaces come with the offices surely? I agree its the poor old employee who will face the cost and therefore you will find that the edge of the parking zone (if you know what I mean) will expand even futher Causing more people living on the edge of the zone to lose there places and therefore let the council put futher CPZ's in place. Soon the cities will be empty.
    On my recent visit to France (normandy) I parked nearly everywhere for Free. Its down to greedy councils. Just REMEMBER YOU VOTE THESE PEOPLE INTO POWER!

SO in summary if you think I'm Not bothered as I don't drive to work THINK AGAIN as those CPZ zones WILL expand. (Around here there is no need for one but now they have built a new Doctors surgery at the end of my road and guess what? They haven't put any car park spaces in place so where are they going park? My blooming road so the answer seems to be to put a CPZ in place grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Any excuse to make money.
    Last edited by Rednosty; 2nd August 2009 at 08:18 AM.

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Quote Originally Posted by Rednosty View Post
    I think its a terrible thing to inflict on a company WHO lease most of the Offices etc and the spaces come with the offices surely? I agree its the poor old employee who will face the cost and therefore you will find that the edge of the parking zone (if you know what I mean) will expand even futher Causing more people living on the edge of the zone to lose there places and therefore let the council put futher CPZ's in place. Soon the cities will be empty.
    On my recent visit to France (normandy) I parked nearly everywhere for Free. Its down to greedy councils. Just REMEMBER YOU VOTE THESE PEOPLE INTO POWER!

SO in summary if you think I'm Not bothered as I don't drive to work THINK AGAIN as those CPZ zones WILL expand. (Around here there is no need for one but now they have built a new Doctors surgery at the end of my road and guess what? They haven't put any car park spaces in place so where are they going park? My blooming road so the answer seems to be to put a CPZ in place grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Up here a lot of the parking is still free. I don't drive anyway and O/H works in the village so unless we are going shopping it's not an issue we will face.

It's always employees who suffer that's not new. I remember when the college I worked at decided to expand. There was only parking for the bigwigs and a few disabled spaces which were further away from the entrance. All other staff had to use the park and ride.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Thread Information