Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We will get there... I hope

Default We will get there... I hope

I sold a Freak Brothers Comic to a guy on Amazon a few weeks ago. In my 'I have dispatched your item' email to him I told him that everything I had for sale on amazon, inc several other Freak Brothers comics where available on ebid but at a lower price. I woke up this morning to find he had bought another 2 from me on Amazon. Thus costing him about £4 more than if he had bought them here. I mean what can we do! I try, I really try to get buyers to come here and I'd much rather sell here than on amazon but whats with these people. Its like a guy who bought a magazine from me on ebay a few months ago. I sent him a Google invoice that was discounted to reflect the fact that Google Checkout is free at the moment, and I explained this to him in the invoice. he still insisted on using paypal even though it cost him more and me more. Then I had a really rare magazine listed on ebay on a 10day BIN and this chap kept messaging me with offers. I kept responding that he should make me an offer on here where the selling fees where so much lower than ebay and I could therefore afford to lower my price more. No sign of him on here. The item is still up for sale on here even thou he could have had it. I dont understand why people are such suckers for ebay. Well I do really. Its just there advertising. But it is very frustrating! I suppose that with some people you will never get them to change and adapt. That makes it an uphill struggle.

Moan is now over!

View Brunwulf's Feedback (+89)
    All-About Brunwulf
    View Brunwulf's Listings
    Forum Posts

Send them a kind email asking what put them off buying cheaper on ebid ..

I did an experiment last month and listed an item on feebay with "Also listed cheaper on eBid" in the feebay listing and it worked 100% for me.
    More wine please ...

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Take a look through my feedback, almost all my buyers are new to eBid. One of the key factors, I've found, in getting a sale is persuading your potential buyer to sign up with eBid first. It's likely eBid is unfamiliar to them they will be unsure about it. I've found that a small effort in selling eBid in order to sell my item pays off. Check out the small panel in the middle of my auction page "eBid is just like other auction sites bla bla". It works, it earns me sales and buddy points.

Newton Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View nykmedia's Feedback (+922)
    All-About nykmedia
    View nykmedia's Listings
    Forum Posts

Inversions, I am glad you took the chance to have your little rant here, as it more than adequately reflects the frustrations of so many people. I have run countless 'tests' and comparisons and I still feel that the problem is down to the way buyers/sellers think. eBid is NOT eBay, nor is it Amazon or any other inadvertently likened site, it is, by its own definition, eBid and until people can see that it can provide something different from what's already available or something new that they haven't previously experienced, then there will forever be the same problem. What is needed is an influx of newcomers who are new to online buying and new to online auctions. Crazy as this may seem, you can go out on the street and ask any number of random passers-by if they have heard of any of these aforementioned sites (get a license from your council first) and chances are that more will respond in the negative than in the positive. Despite all of Mr Blair's suppositions, proposals and suggestions back in 2000, my guess is that not a lot of that actually happened for the ordinary 'man on the street' and there are still millions who have yet to see what the Internet even looks like. If their first glimpse of online trading is e**y then you will be lucky to ever change their minds. eBid is a new beginning, it should be kept simple and it should provide exactly 'what it says on the box'. This way, it might just open up a whole new world to hundreds of thousands of people who have yet to venture into virtual reality.
    That's my rant over for the time being
    Be my eBuddy - Join eBid HERE

Raising funds to help feed rescue ponies via my eBid Frugaldom store

Still winning with Racing Book Shop

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't agree Nyk. I think that feebay has produced a whole lot of 'sellers' who don't have a clue how to sell. The buyers are fine. If you clear away all their sales objections and offer them something they want at a reasonable price they will buy.

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inversions View Post
    I sold a Freak Brothers Comic to a guy on Amazon a few weeks ago. In my 'I have dispatched your item' email to him I told him that everything I had for sale on amazon, inc several other Freak Brothers comics where available on ebid but at a lower price. I woke up this morning to find he had bought another 2 from me on Amazon. Thus costing him about £4 more than if he had bought them here. I mean what can we do! I try, I really try to get buyers to come here and I'd much rather sell here than on amazon but whats with these people. Its like a guy who bought a magazine from me on ebay a few months ago. I sent him a Google invoice that was discounted to reflect the fact that Google Checkout is free at the moment, and I explained this to him in the invoice. he still insisted on using paypal even though it cost him more and me more. Then I had a really rare magazine listed on ebay on a 10day BIN and this chap kept messaging me with offers. I kept responding that he should make me an offer on here where the selling fees where so much lower than ebay and I could therefore afford to lower my price more. No sign of him on here. The item is still up for sale on here even thou he could have had it. I dont understand why people are such suckers for ebay. Well I do really. Its just there advertising. But it is very frustrating! I suppose that with some people you will never get them to change and adapt. That makes it an uphill struggle.

Moan is now over!
    Simple answer is Perhaps they did not read the Email! I don't always read everything.

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    Take a look through my feedback, almost all my buyers are new to eBid. One of the key factors, I've found, in getting a sale is persuading your potential buyer to sign up with eBid first. It's likely eBid is unfamiliar to them they will be unsure about it. I've found that a small effort in selling eBid in order to sell my item pays off. Check out the small panel in the middle of my auction page "eBid is just like other auction sites bla bla". It works, it earns me sales and buddy points.
    Hi kedo,
    Is the "Ebid is just like any other auction site" kedo copyrighted and would it be ok with you if we borrowed that excellent turn of phrase for our auctions?

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi *artsbanquet*. Yes, go ahead use it. I thought about it long and hard and I couldn't come up with anything better. It is very carefully calculated from the psychological point of view so it's best to use the whole thing. The aim was to latch onto the buyers desire for the item (which is a basic prerequisite) and remove possible objections that arise from unfamiliarity with eBid (is it safe, will it cost, will it be a big effort). I can tell that it's effective in getting buddy points because I've earned many more since I added it to my listings. It's more difficult to tell with actual sales (because I can never know if I would have got a particular sale anyway) but my guess is that it has helped.
    Last edited by kedo; 21st November 2007 at 07:10 PM.

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    Hi *artsbanquet*. Yes, go ahead use it. I thought about it long and hard and I couldn't come up with anything better. It is very carefully calculated from the psychological point of view so it's best to use the whole thing. The aim was to latch onto the buyers desire for the item (which is a basic prerequisite) and remove possible objections that arise from unfamiliarity with eBid (is it safe, will it cost, will it be a big effort). I can tell that it's effective in getting buddy points because I've earned many more since I added it to my listings. It's more difficult to tell with actual sales (because I can never know if I would have got a particular sale anyway) but my guess is that it has helped.
    Here's some more support for your theory on wording.
    I have join ebid links in almost all my ebid auctions. I get a fair number of sales and regular 'new' users. But I can't remember the last time i got buddy points for someone signing up via one of my links Kedo I think my new buyers all pop oevr to your listings to sign up, then come back to me later

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HannaHolly View Post
    Here's some more support for your theory on wording.
    I have join ebid links in almost all my ebid auctions. I get a fair number of sales and regular 'new' users. But I can't remember the last time i got buddy points for someone signing up via one of my links Kedo I think my new buyers all pop oevr to your listings to sign up, then come back to me later
    Oh, that explains it. I wondered where all these people were comming from who sign up through me then don't buy anything!

Thread Information