Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sellers how do you list?

Lightbulb Sellers how do you list?

I don't mean which editor do you use I mean how do you choose what to list?
    In common with a large number of you I'm sure I've a stack of items I intend to list. Take for instance books, I usually grab a pile of approx the same weight & then list them, I don't usually give it more thought than that.
    Some of the current threads have got me thinking, I'll stick with books for now, as a category it's a fairly well populated one.
    Most of the booksellers on eBid list their books at what I believe is a fair price, with fair postage costs, most of them also offer multiple purchase discounts, & most of them do their best to make the buyer experience good.
    If I list 20 books & 18 or 19 of them are already listed on eBid by other sellers does this enhance the buyer experience of the site?
    Not really.
    OK I may list a book in a better/worse condition, with a corresponding price, than another seller, but it doesn't increase the choice of titles available to the buyer.

What if for a week or two at least we all tried to make sure that the majority of our new listings were of titles not already available?
    That would greatly increase buyer choice which can only be good for all of us.

What do the rest of you think, is it worth a try?
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

I normally check to see how many other copies are already for sale and check whether they are hardback or paperback before I list.
    With the jigsaws it is as and when I get them or complete them.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

I'm quite happy to see multiple sellers with the same item/s. It gives me the chance to compare item price, item quality, item description, seller reputation, postage costs and so on. If only one seller has the item my choices are reduced to "buy it, or don't" and all the other stuff goes out of the window.

So I'm 'pro choice'.

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    I'm quite happy to see multiple sellers with the same item/s. It gives me the chance to compare item price, item quality, item description, seller reputation, postage costs and so on. If only one seller has the item my choices are reduced to "buy it, or don't" and all the other stuff goes out of the window.

So I'm 'pro choice'.
    I understand what you're saying Damian,
    that's why my suggestion was just a relatively quick way to increase the range of titles available over a short space of time, & hopefull help combat the "I can never find what I want to buy" complaints.

It would be counterproductive to do it in the longterm.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 12th October 2007 at 06:06 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View Snoo's Feedback (+4753)
    All-About Snoo
    View Snoo's Listings
    Forum Posts

How do I list? I'm still in the process of putting stock back online which was listed you-know-where. I have three piles of 'types' of item that I intend to list (postcards, bookmarks, other) and I take one from each pile in turn. Simple as that.

View rupert691's Feedback (+2286)
    All-About rupert691
    View rupert691's Listings
    Forum Posts

Afternoon all!

When I'm choosing which books to list first, I generally (though not exclusively) try and pick fairly obscure titles that may have a niche following, but that I don't think many others are listing. The thought behind this being that if someone wants the book (and likes the price/condition etc.I'm offering it at), they would probably buy it from me.

I used to sell loads of books on FeePay (and have sold a few on another site), but for some reason haven't sold one here, - maybe the books I'm offering are too obscure.

Best wishes, Simon.
    Promote your eBid Sales with us on 'Second-Life'. If you'd like to join the SL eBid Group, please PM me for an Invite to help Promote your eBid Store/Listings!

'Rupert's Books' for Unusual used books!

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't see a problem with more than one copy of a book being available. Many of my book buyers by 3 or more books from me at the same time so I want them to have the biggest possible choice from my bookstore.
    I list as many title here as possible (usually adding new books every day) I do not check what prices others sellers have their books at here as there is not a time effective way to do this.
    Because I keep all my stock lists on excel files I usually use the bulk uploader to list books, the down side to this is there is not an effective way to add different descriptions to each title, so most of my auctions start off with the title, the photo and a generic auction description. I edit batches of books at later dates to include item descriptions. ( I usually spend at least 2-3 hours a day 'working' on my listings in one way or another!)

Quote Originally Posted by rupert691 View Post
    Afternoon all!

When I'm choosing which books to list first, I generally (though not exclusively) try and pick fairly obscure titles that may have a niche following, but that I don't think many others are listing. The thought behind this being that if someone wants the book (and likes the price/condition etc.I'm offering it at), they would probably buy it from me.

I used to sell loads of books on FeePay (and have sold a few on another site), but for some reason haven't sold one here, - maybe the books I'm offering are too obscure.

Best wishes, Simon.
    Hi Simon,
    I see what you mean, your book selection is definitely different.

Just a thought, now that you have your Shiny New Seller+ membership, why not split your store, & have one just for books? That way you can add it to the bookstores category in browse stores, it will also double your store exposures on the frontpage ect?
    Gothicina.

My Stores

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

View rupert691's Feedback (+2286)
    All-About rupert691
    View rupert691's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    Hi Simon,
    I see what you mean, your book selection is definitely different.

Just a thought, now that you have your Shiny New Seller+ membership, why not split your store, & have one just for books? That way you can add it to the bookstores category in browse stores, it will also double your store exposures on the frontpage ect?
    Hi Chris,

That's a very good suggestion.

Now I'm going to be really thick , - (new to more-than-one-store etc. as you know LOL!)

Can I transfer my existing book listings, to another (new) store easily? If so, how do I go about it? Also how does someone who is looking at one store, know you have others, because I used to sell a lot of posters on 'the other one', and I wouldn't want to lose potential sales through non-promotion. Is this just a case of adding links to your other stores at the bottom of all your auction listings?

Will definitely have to give this all some serious thought .

All the best, Simon.
    Promote your eBid Sales with us on 'Second-Life'. If you'd like to join the SL eBid Group, please PM me for an Invite to help Promote your eBid Store/Listings!

'Rupert's Books' for Unusual used books!

Quote Originally Posted by rupert691 View Post
    Hi Chris,

That's a very good suggestion.

Now I'm going to be really thick , - (new to more-than-one-store etc. as you know LOL!)

Can I transfer my existing book listings, to another (new) store easily? If so, how do I go about it? Also how does someone who is looking at one store, know you have others, because I used to sell a lot of posters on 'the other one', and I wouldn't want to lose potential sales through non-promotion. Is this just a case of adding links to your other stores at the bottom of all your auction listings?

Will definitely have to give this all some serious thought .

All the best, Simon.
    Once you've opened another store & put it online, then you need to go into each listing you want to move & change the store & category from the dropdown list at the top of the edit listing page.

I've got links to my stores in all listings, but because of the way eBid stores are setup they are not separate entities so that somebody looking at a book is still likely to see a poster or other of your items in the more from this seller section.

As you've got lots more books to list anyway I'd probably just add new listings to the new store first of all, then just move the existing book listings as and when you get time.
    Gothicina.

My Stores

My Alter egos

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff

Thread Information