Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Getting new users in - what is spamming?

Question Getting new users in - what is spamming?

I was just browsing the 'dark side' and I found a user with a cheeky 'about me' page which pointed out that their website was much cheaper than Ebay and they should click on the link to go to their website to look at their items. They sound like our sort of person! - some of the forums on here, tell about the messages they have put on there telling people to come over to eBid as the fees are so much cheaper.

Anyway, I looked at the website and it has a lot of great items including a lot of 'Secret Santa' type items, which I am hoping to plug shortly.

What I wanted to know was, if I Emailed them to tell them about eBid, is that spamming? Have any of you done anything similar?

Strictly speaking, yes it is spamming. You would be sending unsolicited mail to an unknown person. If they advertise their email address rather than a contact me form, then they will possibly get loads of spam anyway.

It is unlikely to get you into any trouble. I guess it is no worse than those pyramid emails that Paypal users keep sending out!! You might get reported to your ISP but for 1 email, it is very unlikely to get you into any trouble. BUT their is a risk
    Checkout my Sterling Silver Jewellery soon! Waiting stock to arrive!!!!

View cmjewels925's Feedback (+7924)
    All-About cmjewels925
    View cmjewels925's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCrazyUK View Post
    I was just browsing the 'dark side' and I found a user with a cheeky 'about me' page which pointed out that their website was much cheaper than Ebay and they should click on the link to go to their website to look at their items. They sound like our sort of person! - some of the forums on here, tell about the messages they have put on there telling people to come over to eBid as the fees are so much cheaper.
    I wouldn't bother emailing them.

If they joined they'd only use eBid to advertise their own website the same as they already do on eBay.

If anyone reading this thread thinks, "What a great way to advertise my own site," DON'T, you'll be suspended; eBid don't allow linking to e-commerce enabled sites.

CMEJewellery For all your jewellery needs.

Beads 'n' Bobs For beads.

Charms 'n' Findings For charms and jewellery making supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by cmjewels925 View Post
    I wouldn't bother emailing them.

If they joined they'd only use eBid to advertise their own website the same as they already do on eBay.

If anyone reading this thread thinks, "What a great way to advertise my own site," DON'T, you'll be suspended; eBid don't allow linking to e-commerce enabled sites.

They would be stupid not to do so really! Why have a website, pay £xx to host it, then list lots of free auctions to link to their site. No final valuation fees if redirected to their website and shopping carts are open source so very cheap advertising
    Checkout my Sterling Silver Jewellery soon! Waiting stock to arrive!!!!

Thread Information