Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I find out about glass?

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Oxalic acid is very good for removing stains,used in the french polishing trade for removing stains ect, is also used by mineral collectors to remove iron stains on quartz crystals, comes as a white powder, mix with warm water and soak,repeat as nessacary the solvent to use is meths ie to neutrolize the reaction, can be bought from a good french polish suppliers shop.
    Last edited by sidthelamp; 5th January 2009 at 09:31 PM.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Thanks Postcards Etcetera! That is a very good book! hard to find. We have this book in our inventory. We are always looking for good books on antique pottery & glass. Please feel free to contact us with any books on this subject matter. We are looking at expanding our collection. Any books on Lalique, Tiffany, or Loetz glass we will definitely be interested in purchasing. Thanks again!

Could do with a bit of help with info on Riedel (Austrian) glassware.

I have a 'Life' 26cms square(ish) platter depicting a grape vine in the 4 seasons. One corner of the platter is slightly elongated to form a handle in the shape of the vine's roots. The sides are not quite straight as they are part of the vine, very organic feel to the whole piece.

It is a lovely piece of glass, beautifully detailed and incredibly heavy - I can't hold it in one hand. Have the original box and believe it is 1970s but haven't been able to get any more information. There don't seem to be back-lists on the web and my internet security is blocking elements of the company's website. All I can find is current product lists and a general history on wikki.

Does anyone know where I can get more information? Would love to be able to date the platter and find out if there are any matching pieces.

Thanks

That platter sounds very nice. Is there a way for you to post pictures? It's much easier to identify by having a look at it. Are there any thing written on the original box? How did you come to the conclusion that it was from the 1970's? If you can post any pictures on line I would love to see what info I could come up with for you.

Lenda
    fancy4glass.ca

Hi Lenda, thanks very much for responding. I'd love some help but wouldn't know where to begin with posting pics on here. Will need some decent light to take photos so will have a go at the weekend.

The period is a guess, going by the styling on the box and the piece itself - there was a vogue for heavy glass tableware during the 1970's (I used to have a lot of it) and from what I can see on the various sites the piece isn't in production now. The piece weighs over 2 kilos (over 4.4lbs) and I can't find a signature on it. There is a code on the box 4005/27 but I've drawn a blank on that search. It is 24% lead crystal.

Similar to the big Waltham art glassware, the design is all underneath the piece but there are intentional indents/dimples in the plate - grape-sized. Working clockwise from the bottom left the vine's branches are shown in blossom (spring), then in full leaf (summer), then smothered in grapes (autumn) and finally on the bottom right they are bare (winter). I've never seen anything like it before.

I could contact the maker but it would be helpful if I could locate a back catalogue somewhere as I wouldn't mind looking out for more pieces.

Bluey

Hi Bluey,

I found an old Ebay auction that had a Riedel glass round platter for auction. The platter is signed or etched RIEDEL on the bottom. I have had no luck trying to find anything else even remotely close what you describe. You may find the platter here:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

The seller really does not provide any information, but hopefully this sort of helps. Let me know if you manage to get those pictures posted.

Lenda
    fancy4glass.ca

View victorfrank's Feedback (+160)
    All-About victorfrank
    View victorfrank's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidthelamp View Post
    Oxalic acid is very good for removing stains.....
    Have just caught up with this thread. I have heard that Oxalic acid is very good for treating stained glass. Certainly one I will try next time it is needed.

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

This seems to be the knowlegable thread about glass

I've just unearthed these from the back of a cupboard

Any ideas anyone?

These are really heavy and measure 3.5" across the widest part.

This pitcher / decanter / jug is extremely "fine" (i'm trying not to breathe on it lol) and nearly 9" tall.

Cheers

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Yvonne,
    Looks like the pink glass that you have there is a set of depression glass candle holders. It's hard to tell just observing.
    The applied handled pitcher / jug seems to be perhaps a Moser piece of glass or a mid century pitcher made in Romania. Again it is difficult to tell without holding and feeling it. Does it have a pontil marking on the base?
    Look up on google: pink Depression glass candle holders, and moser jug, pitcher, decanter. see what you get.
    P.S those are great pictures.
    Lenda
    fancy4glass.ca

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

can i just say the links/info Fancy4glass has are superb ! and the glass items are beautiful..ohh i wish i had money..thanks Lenda..great stuff..

Thread Information