eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booksellers need your tips !

Question Booksellers need your tips !

Hi all -
    my question is -- how do the booksellers on here store all the books they have listed .

My books for sale are in boxes and on book shelves at the moment but its a nightmare to locate and retrieve a book when it sells

How do others do it - esp. those that are selling thousands ?

PLease leave your tips / advice it would be greatly appreiciated as i have thousands to list and store.

Lisa
    Lisa

Feedback left when payment received
    FREE POST ON ALL ORDERS

Free Pack of UK Wildflower seeds sent with every order throughout 2023

-------------------------------------------------------
    A smile is a curve that can set things straight!

View rupert691's Feedback (+2286)
    All-About rupert691
    View rupert691's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Lisa,

All but the most valuable books I have are stored in heavy duty cardboard boxes, with extra protection at the edges and corners. (The expensive ones are separate, each in a polythene bag)

I generally just mark the outside of the box with the genre (Crime, History etc.)

I don't tend to stack boxes too high (because of the weight), but do put extra cardboard inbetween the boxes when I do stack them. Obvious I know, but the most important thing to remember is protect the books at all costs!

I'm sure others will be along soon with other tips!

Best wishes, Simon
    Promote your eBid Sales with us on 'Second-Life'. If you'd like to join the SL eBid Group, please PM me for an Invite to help Promote your eBid Store/Listings!

'Rupert's Books' for Unusual used books!

anymore tips ????????
    Lisa

FREE POST ON ALL ORDERS

Bump.................
    Lisa

FREE POST ON ALL ORDERS

Quote Originally Posted by bizarrebargains View Post
    Hi all -
    my question is -- how do the booksellers on here store all the books they have listed .

My books for sale are in boxes and on book shelves at the moment but its a nightmare to locate and retrieve a book when it sells

How do others do it - esp. those that are selling thousands ?

PLease leave your tips / advice it would be greatly appreiciated as i have thousands to list and store.

Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

I have a spare room set up as a book room and bookshelves all around the walls. Most of them I store in flat stacks on the shelves (not too deep), with anything that's more delicate at the top of the stack. I basically have the fiction shelved alphabetically by author's last name, and the non-fiction shelved by title. I don't take into account "the" or "a" of a title, just the main part of the title. For eg. The Trees of Canada, I shelve in non-fiction under the "T's". More expensive books, I keep in a bag or appropriate padding with a label, but they get shelved as well.

If you don't have room to have your books on shelves and need to use boxes, make sure you have your boxes clearly labeled in an organized fashion, i.e. Non-Fiction A to C or whatever. That way, it should make it fairly easy to find the book you need when you sell it.

Hope that helps!
    Shelley

thanks everyone for kindly sharing your tips

anymore always welcome
    Lisa

FREE POST ON ALL ORDERS

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwood View Post
    Hi Lisa,

I have a spare room set up as a book room and bookshelves all around the walls. Most of them I store in flat stacks on the shelves (not too deep), with anything that's more delicate at the top of the stack. I basically have the fiction shelved alphabetically by author's last name, and the non-fiction shelved by title. I don't take into account "the" or "a" of a title, just the main part of the title. For eg. The Trees of Canada, I shelve in non-fiction under the "T's". More expensive books, I keep in a bag or appropriate padding with a label, but they get shelved as well.

If you don't have room to have your books on shelves and need to use boxes, make sure you have your boxes clearly labeled in an organized fashion, i.e. Non-Fiction A to C or whatever. That way, it should make it fairly easy to find the book you need when you sell it.

Hope that helps!
    Shelley
    Oh you organised people.
    Most of the ones listed are boxed, tho not in any particular order, I've just got a pretty good idea what is in which box. Those boxes are in my office.

The ones I definitely intend to list at some point, are mostly boxed, in the lounge at the moment because I don't have any more room in the office.

The ones that I can't decide whether to sell, or read again before I sell, or maybe keep, are on the bookshelves in front of the ones I'm definitely keeping. The overflow from those is on the sideboard.

As you can clearly tell from this, organised is my middle name

NOT!!

Then of course there are the ones my family have borrowed, they are definitely not listed, but I've been known to buy a book only to find out later, that I already own it, it's just living elsewhere.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 19th July 2007 at 04:11 AM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

I missed this thread!
    I have a deep cupboard in my livingroom where the books are in author surname order. I have a large bookcase in my hall where I keep biographies. In my bedroom is a box full of childrens titles. On a bookcase in my bedroom is all my agatha Christies. On a small bookcase behind the front door are the true crime books.
    Under the fish tank are some 'pet' books and some large hardbacks i wish i didn't have!. On another bookcase in the livingroom are lots of Sci fI books and non fiction titles.

It doesn't matter where the books are - the ones that sell are always at the back/bottom of the shelf/box- or are in the wrong place!

View rupert691's Feedback (+2286)
    All-About rupert691
    View rupert691's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    The ones that I can't decide whether to sell, or read again before I sell, or maybe keep, are on the bookshelves in front of the ones I'm definitely keeping. The overflow from those is on the sideboard.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who 'keeps' stock books !

I seem to be 'putting aside' more and more for reading later, than I manage to list these days! LOL! .... and once I put them aside, I keep them for good! (I'm a born hoarder)

Simon
    Promote your eBid Sales with us on 'Second-Life'. If you'd like to join the SL eBid Group, please PM me for an Invite to help Promote your eBid Store/Listings!

'Rupert's Books' for Unusual used books!

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View maroy41's Feedback (+1089)
    All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by rupert691 View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who 'keeps' stock books !

I seem to be 'putting aside' more and more for reading later, than I manage to list these days! LOL! .... and once I put them aside, I keep them for good! (I'm a born hoarder)

Simon
    Me too, I hate parting with my books, I have mine in the living room on shelves from ceiling to floor, I take out a book to list - end up reading it - and then put it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great books reasonable prices please click on the logo below and browse around I have quite a selection for you to choose from.

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

Thread Information