eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improve Ebid - Be Realistic With Your Collectables

Smile Improve Ebid - Be Realistic With Your Collectables

Hi Everyone
    Im new to Ebid and have yet to post my first item. I have spent the day since joining viewing the site and getting a general feel for things. It looks great and I have only one area of concern, the lack of active bidding.
    I can appreciate as an ex-Ebayer that with free listing fees there is always a temptation to start the item at a higher price than you would have under the Ebay system where your fees are determined by the starting price, however I feel that this trend stagnates the site, items are being started at prices which bidders dont want to open with and the result is no movement, even when viewing figures are high.
    In order to generate more interest in Ebid we need to generate more bidders and the way to do that is to create that sense or urgency and excitement that comes from active bidding.
    Once word spreads that you have a fighting chance of getting a bargain on Ebid the bidders will move in and prices will rise as bids are generated.
    I for one will be listing my collectables at my normal low start price, yes i may get caught out now and again and an item may sell for lower than i wanted, but I honestly feel that in the future it will encourage bidders to look at my lots and start to bid more enthusiasticly......== Happy to be here anyway.
    Last edited by RLGLASS; 26th June 2007 at 08:28 AM.

hi RL,
    I have just started listing on this site after being fed up of Ebay, but because I have also noticed the lack of bidding, I daren't start my auctions too low. Instead I have started at a minimum price i'd accept as I can't afford to "lose".
    I have done a new experiment with one of my items & started at 0.99 but put a reserve on it, don't know if this will make any difference, perhaps the more experienced sellers on here could advise best.
    Dawn

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've been selling here 11 months now. My advice is use BIN. I treat ebid as a replacement for my feebay shop and this seems to work reasonably well. Because there are no listing fees I make a steady profit with no risk of a loss (as there would be with a feebay shop). Other strategies like starting traditional auctions low are risky, you may well loose out. Avoid reserves like the plague, I don't think any buyer likes them.

I usually price a bit lower than the going rate on feebay but not too low (very low prices seem to signal to buyers that there's something wrong with what you're selling).

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View DaisyChain's Feedback (+76)
    All-About DaisyChain
    View DaisyChain's Listings
    Forum Posts

RLGLASS

I completely agree, i think many collectables on here are priced a tad too high at starting bid, but saying that its a catch 22 situation. There arnt enough collectable bidders to take a gamble on listing decent ollectables at low prices.........they either sell for that low starting price or dont sell at all...........

Ive sold quite a few jewellery at starting bid of 99p NR on here for decent prices, but thats gold, nearly everyone will bid on gold cheap.

Collectables? apart from postcards and stamps, seem "dead" on this site. But perhaps that is because, prices are high?, perhaps the quality of collectables at low prices is at fault, or perhaps too many collectable buyers are still buying on ebay........i dont know.

I have been to auction today, it was bargain galore, wish i had more space and time at the moment to buy stuff and list here at 99p starting, as i alwyas do on ebay.............maybe in couple of weeks time after my wedding

By the way, anyone want a bakelite radio? i have one and it will be listed at cheap in the forthcomming weeks
    Click here to see my items for Sale!
    Amiga, Mega Drive, Playstation Games and More!

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manstomar View Post
    RLGLASS

Collectables? apart from postcards and stamps, seem "dead" on this site. But perhaps that is because, prices are high?, perhaps the quality of collectables at low prices is at fault, or perhaps too many collectable buyers are still buying on ebay........i dont know.
    Oh, I'm suprised you think that. I've sold glassware, advertising odds, a lot of Hornby Dublo, vintage Airfix Kits, vintage Matchbox toys, vintage subbuteo, lamps, old brassware and so on. I'd call those collectables (or maybe I have a different definition). I got the distinct immpression that collectors are checking over here much more often now. I thought collectables were one of the better things to sell.

Yes, I want a bakelite radio, I always want bakelite radio's. Can't resist them so you're guaranteed at least one bid.
    Last edited by kedo; 6th July 2007 at 12:13 AM.

All-About DaisyChain
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    Oh, I'm suprised you think that. I've sold glassware, advertising odds, a lot of Hornby Dublo, vintage Airfix Kits, vintage Matchbox toys, vintage subbuteo, lamps, old brassware and so on. I'd call those collectables (or maybe I have a different definition). I got the distinct immpression that collectors are checking over here much more often now. I thought collectables were one of the better things to sell.

Yes, I want a bakelite radio, I always want bakelite radio's. Can't resist them so you're guaranteed at least one bid.
    Since buying the item i have from you, i have seen the amount of collectables you have sold and have to sell, and taking into account the amount of response to the "what do you collect" topic, then i have to take back what i said earlier as obviously there is a market for collectables on here. Its users such as yourself Kedo, which will help the collectable market on here grow, and the site in general, and i think everyone selling collectables on here should take a leaf out your book before listing

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello manstomar, thanks for the feedback on that item. Actually feedback is one of my biggest frustrations. Lots of buyers don't seem to bother and as a result you can't see half of what I have sold (it's over 200 items now).

Glad you like my stuff. Keep watching because I shall carry on listing indefinitely.
    Last edited by kedo; 18th July 2007 at 11:29 PM.

All-About DaisyChain
    Forum Posts

Come back on here to bump this, and reiterate as im seeing some doulton items at nearly triple price on here compared to ebay!

All-About DaisyChain
    Forum Posts

RLGlass

Just wondering when you will be adding items? As i always look forward to new users listing collectables on ebid

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Unhappy Am I Seeing things????????

Hi all you folks who know more than me........lol

I've just found a listing for a "Penny Black" stamp, with a BIN of £1,1000!! Yet, when I have a look around the web at UK dealers, most say average is £20, & £250 tops for an absolutely pristine stamp. Am I missing something??

The bewildered one......lol

Thread Information