My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Fabric Printing

Question Fabric Printing

Has anyone ever scanned and prited any fabric ? I need a certain fabric and only have a small amount so I will need to scan the bit I have, patch in to make a bigger bit and print. Any tips please.

View Hip Chick's Feedback (+407)
    All-About Hip Chick
    View Hip Chick's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'd love to have the answer about the scanner, but me and mine do not get on.

Could you take a photo of the fabric and then crop off the bits that you do not need. Then using a a photo / image programme duplicate and enlarge the image, then print off.

Just a thought...

How can you print fabric?

I can see how you can print an image of a piece of fabric.
    I can see how you could print a design ready to be applied to fabric.

But surely fabric needs weaving?

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    How can you print fabric?

I can see how you can print an image of a piece of fabric.
    I can see how you could print a design ready to be applied to fabric.

But surely fabric needs weaving?
    You can print direct onto fabric using an ink let printer but you have to use a special paper to back the fabric, they call it freezer paper in the US by the look of it, just wondered if anyone here had tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hip Chick View Post
    I'd love to have the answer about the scanner, but me and mine do not get on.

Could you take a photo of the fabric and then crop off the bits that you do not need. Then using a a photo / image programme duplicate and enlarge the image, then print off.

Just a thought...
    Hi Hipchick, I wanted to use the scanner to get the exact size of the flowers but i dont know how to keep merging the bits together to make a big bit. The adobe photo suite we just got is totaly above my head, anything i have tried to do with it goes wrong. I am the opposite from you BTW, okay with a scanner but give me a camera and you would be hard pressed to see what the pic was of

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    You can print direct onto fabric using an ink let printer ....
    AHA! Printing ONTO fabric. Now that's a whole different kettle of kittens.

First of all, scanning fabric can be tricky. The scanner tends to pick up thread colors that are not visible to the naked eye. So you could end up with colored lines that you don't want in the picture. I use Adobe Photoshop to enhance anything that I scan. Secondly, you can purchase special fabric that can be printed on. One that I know of is made by Cannon for the Cannon Bubble Jet printer. It comes in 9 1/2" X 14" and is expensive. It is a white cotton fabric sheet. (You could check around for other sources) It's best to use photo quality ink because it doesn't bleed as much and I would take an extra step to "Set" the ink after it is printed. You can purchase special chemicals to do this. One thing to bear in mind is printing on fabric can clog up your printer head with fibers from the material. so be sure to follow the directions clearly and weigh the cost of doing it "cheaper" with regular material as opposed to specialized material, against the cost of replacing your printer more often.

Smile Re: Freezer Paper

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    You can print direct onto fabric using an ink let printer but you have to use a special paper to back the fabric, they call it freezer paper in the US by the look of it, just wondered if anyone here had tried it.
    I would be very surprised if you could print using freezer paper - maybe wrong - the freezer paper I have (purchased in the USA) is plain paper on one side - the other side is coated in a resin - this resin when placed on fabric and pressed with a hot iron will stick the paper to the fabric - great for applique and reverse applique projects.............but not sure how you would print with it!

I could list freezer paper on Ebid if anyone asks......

Thread Information