My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: diy building a garage

Thumbs up diy building a garage

hello all,does anyone have any free plans concerning building a garage? i was thinking of first putting down a concrete base,getting a garage door complete with frame,then building the walls with blocks,i could manage all of this,but the bit that gets me is the roofing,it would have to be a sloping roof,i,ve tried searching on google but most people want extorcinate (scuse the spelling!)prices for a plan,which really defeats the object of building it cheaply
    any ideas would be welcomed,cheers!

Seems to me that you need to talk to the very nice people in your local council planning office. Chances are you'll need planning permission anyway, so it makes sense to ask their advice in the first place. Also, talking to them at the start may save you money in the long run.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
    hello all,does anyone have any free plans concerning building a garage? i was thinking of first putting down a concrete base,getting a garage door complete with frame,then building the walls with blocks,i could manage all of this,but the bit that gets me is the roofing,it would have to be a sloping roof,i,ve tried searching on google but most people want extorcinate (scuse the spelling!)prices for a plan,which really defeats the object of building it cheaply
    You could try posting the same question here:
    http://www.diynot.com/forums/
    BTW I think the spelling you're looking for is "extortionate".

Quote Originally Posted by sam007 View Post
    hi
    you could put 4 by 2 wood going across.just put a thin peace of wood on one slde so the 4 by 2 sits on it and that will give you the slop for the water to run of the roof
    1 the sides go up
    2 put a thin peace of wood on one side around 5mm.so the print level bubble should be touching one side of the level line
    3 put your 4 by 2 going across i would say about a foot apart.then you just put on the sheets of wood on top.good luck

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

go to b&q they got ready made steel angles that you fix to your wall slot your wood rafters into it`s simple

Forum Saint
    View Cocksparrer's Feedback (+424)
    All-About Cocksparrer
    View Cocksparrer's Listings
    Forum Posts

Focus have free plan leaflets on all sorts of diy topics. Maybe they do one in garages as well check out the focusdiy net.

Thread Information