Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Is the love of reading/books hereditary, or is it a learned behaviour?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it's in the blood.

6 16.22%
  • It's a learned behaviour.

21 56.76%
  • A mixture of both.

7 18.92%
  • Nothing to do with either.

3 8.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is love of reading/books hereditary or is it a learned behaviour?

Default Is love of reading/books hereditary or is it a learned behaviour?

I'm an avid reader & always have been, I know I could read before I went to school, my mum taught me. She used to read a lot when she was young, as did my dad but, I cannot remember her doing much in her later years. We always had lots of books & dad bought us a set of Encyclopaedia Brittannica when we were growing up, they were really expensive back then.

Mum's dad also loved to read, he used to buy me books for birthday & christmas, I still have the Peter Pan, & the Wind in the Willows, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Beau Geste, & Just So Stories, The Children of the New Forest fell apart because I read it so many times.

My middle sister never reads other than cookbooks, or occasionally reference ones about dogs or horses. She is dyslexic, which wasn't recognised back when we went to school. Her son loves to read.

My youngest sister is another avid reader (as is her husband), her eldest three children, always have been, her youngest is severely dyslexic but over the last few years has discovered Robin Hobb, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, & is as hooked on reading as the rest of us.

So did we inherit our love of reading, or did we learn to love reading through education &/or our environment?
    Kewtonia

"Dogs look up to you. Cats look down on you. Give me a pig. He just looks you in the eye and treats you like an equal." - Winston Churchill

My Stores

Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

My Alter egos
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web

Family
    LeadhillsOnline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Download free eBid Flyers | Free eBid & YDC Banners |

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View maroy41's Feedback (+1089)
    All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kewtonia View Post
    I'm an avid reader & always have been, I know I could read before I went to school, my mum taught me. She used to read a lot when she was young, as did my dad but, I cannot remember her doing much in her later years. We always had lots of books & dad bought us a set of Encyclopaedia Brittannica when we were growing up, they were really expensive back then.

Mum's dad also loved to read, he used to buy me books for birthday & christmas, I still have the Peter Pan, & the Wind in the Willows, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Beau Geste, & Just So Stories, The Children of the New Forest fell apart because I read it so many times.

My middle sister never reads other than cookbooks, or occasionally reference ones about dogs or horses. She is dyslexic, which wasn't recognised back when we went to school. Her son loves to read.

My youngest sister is another avid reader (as is her husband), her eldest three children, always have been, her youngest is severely dyslexic but over the last few years has discovered Robin Hobb, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, & is as hooked on reading as the rest of us.

So did we inherit our love of reading, or did we learn to love reading through education &/or our environment?
    I would say both, I was brought up with no TV only radio, and once I learned to read and found a public library I was lost to the written word, even today, now when we have TV, I still prefer reading because you can always put a book down and pick up the story where you left off. I also learnt more from books because although some are fiction, they are all based on fact through research, history you learn in a most interesting way, whereas in school - forget it - boring, and nothing sunk in to my noggin there.
    Great books reasonable prices please click on the logo below and browse around I have quite a selection for you to choose from.

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

Cool

I think it's a learned thing. My sis. & I used to always have our noses in our Enid Blyton books, brill!

These days I like to settle with a good Star Trek book or an auto/biography and I love the odd thriller too.

Not too long ago I read an Agatha Christie for the first time, quite intriguing too! Ah yes, when people were courteous, well spoken & polite to one another

For the love of animals, ya can't beat a good James Herriot for hilarity too!

I'm currently reading about Sharon Osbourne, absolutely absorbing reading
    Last edited by jarremachine; 22nd November 2006 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Spooling mistacks!

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View DaisyChain's Feedback (+76)
    All-About DaisyChain
    View DaisyChain's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think its a learned thing. When iw as younger, i was known for being quite, timd and having my head in a book

I dont really read much these days, more out of idlness i think than having the time.

I read allsorts of books when i do read. A book i read whilst at un was the classic "Slaughterhouse 5" by kurt vonnegut. Its a anti war novel, but not the usual dreary moral tale and i would reccomend it to anyone.

Picture this

Spaceships, Time-travel and a a guy shot for stealing a teapot amongst the background of the dresden carpet bombings

brilliant
    Click here to see my items for Sale!
    Amiga, Mega Drive, Playstation Games and More!

I've got to say its a learned thing. My mother taught me to read before I started school, and I have enjoyed it ever since. Both of my parents were NOT readers at all, and neither were any of my brothers! So I was an odd one out. As a child it gave me my own fantasy world, as I was too timid to make friends. Now I'm older I still love to get stuck into a good meaty novel! Sometimes too much, as I have been known to read all night!
    I have also written novels of my own, so I think if you have the literary bug, it stays with you!

View minkyrra's Feedback (+1752)
    All-About minkyrra
    View minkyrra's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chiquita View Post
    I've got to say its a learned thing. My mother taught me to read before I started school, and I have enjoyed it ever since. Both of my parents were NOT readers at all, and neither were any of my brothers! So I was an odd one out. As a child it gave me my own fantasy world, as I was too timid to make friends. Now I'm older I still love to get stuck into a good meaty novel! Sometimes too much, as I have been known to read all night!
    I have also written novels of my own, so I think if you have the literary bug, it stays with you!

here too, but substitute brothers with three sisters....

i was always being told off for being indoors on a summers day with my head in a book, instead of out playing in the sunshine

i used to shut down awareness of everything else around me and lose myself to the story.

oh i also used to get caught sitting reading, while pretending to do my chores - i would turn the hoover on and just leave it running

Quote Originally Posted by minkyrra View Post
    here too, but substitute brothers with three sisters....

i was always being told off for being indoors on a summers day with my head in a book, instead of out playing in the sunshine

i used to shut down awareness of everything else around me and lose myself to the story.

oh i also used to get caught sitting reading, while pretending to do my chores - i would turn the hoover on and just leave it running

lies
    you dont know how to use a hoover

View minkyrra's Feedback (+1752)
    All-About minkyrra
    View minkyrra's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silkcityuk2 View Post
    lies
    you dont know how to use a hoover
    pokes...

like i said, i pretended to use it

.....i do know how to turn one on you know

I think its something you learn, my parents and grand parents brought both me and my sister books as gifts when we were growing up, eynid blyton, roald dahl etc and i loved them and wouldn't put them don but my sister had and still has no interest in them where as i still bury my head in books and am encouraging my daughter to do so too!
    you can NEVER have too many pairs of shoes...

₪ ø lll ·o.

Happiness Is Like Strawberry Jam, You Can't Spread Even A Little Bit Of It, Without Getting Some On Yourself!

Forum Newbie
    View janscavern's Feedback (+13)
    All-About janscavern
    View janscavern's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree it is something you learn, my Mother bought both my Sister and I books as small children and we are both still avid readers. I love history, but also like a good scare and am currently working through James Herbert's books, Robert Goddard is also a favourite of mine, as is A Town Like Alice by Neville Shute.
    My favourite book of all time is The Little White Horse, by Elizabeth Goudge. I have a well worn copy belonging originally to my Mother, who has sadly passed away now. Although it is a childrens book I can still lose myself in it.
    I am trying to clear my spare room of books and have listed a few on here
    Last edited by janscavern; 26th November 2006 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Mis spelt

Thread Information