My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: "The Price Of Wisdom"

Question "The Price Of Wisdom"

Question to all you book readers out there, Would you pay £84.24 for a secondhand paperback Fantasy book?

I have been doing my normal 'where can I nick info about my books thing' and I discover that one of the books I am ready to put on eBid for the same starting price as all the rest of my fantasy books is for sale on Amazon uk by two market place sellers for £84.24 or £84.25.
    The book is The Price of wisdom by Shannah Jay. bk 4 of the Chronicles of Tenebrak.

It is in A1 condition only been read once.

So what do you think? what should I sell it for?

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View DaisyChain's Feedback (+76)
    All-About DaisyChain
    View DaisyChain's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would only pay that sort of money if i knew i could make a profit on it

First of all you need to find out if there is anything particular special about those paticular books on amazon. perhaps a different publisher or a misprint in the book somewhere.

i say this because there is harry potter & the goblet of fire 1st edition, and then there is harry potter and the goblet of fire FIRST edition.

Do a scan on google, see what you can find

You might want to know there is a guy on fleaby australia looking for that paticular book in the wanteds, email him see what he says, he may be able to give you the advice you need on that book
    Click here to see my items for Sale!
    Amiga, Mega Drive, Playstation Games and More!

Smile

Wow thanks manstomar.

On reading info on Amazon it seems like it is the same book it was printed in by Pan Macmillan Australia the ISBN 0-330-35789-1. And mine is in very good conditon.It only has about 3 faint crease lilnes down spine

Will send the info over to Aus then. you never know, might get a new buyer to ebid

View BLOXBOOKS's Feedback (+5010)
    All-About BLOXBOOKS
    View BLOXBOOKS's Listings
    Forum Posts

The book is now out of print, some people may pay a high price to complete the set, I have found that many hard to find titles may need time to achieve the higher buy now price. Sometimes they get picked up on a keyword search.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BLOXBOOKS

View (am)'s Feedback (+196)
    All-About (am)
    View (am)'s Listings
    Forum Posts

I've noticed many Amazon Marketplace sellers asking 'high' (understatement of the year) prices, top sellers that sell hundreds of books every month (not necessarily the expensive ones though), some have millions of titles listed.

Amazon fees are quite high and the allowance given for p&p is not always enough to cover mailing etc so I can understand higher prices but am puzzled by this 'through the roof' pricing.

wireweaver there's nothing to stop you advertising your book there too, doesn't cost a penny unless it sells, you could undercut the others. I signed up and have listed stuff but no luck yet

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View DaisyChain's Feedback (+76)
    All-About DaisyChain
    View DaisyChain's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by (am) View Post
    I've noticed many Amazon Marketplace sellers asking 'high' (understatement of the year) prices, top sellers that sell hundreds of books every month (not necessarily the expensive ones though), some have millions of titles listed.

Amazon fees are quite high and the allowance given for p&p is not always enough to cover mailing etc so I can understand higher prices but am puzzled by this 'through the roof' pricing.

wireweaver there's nothing to stop you advertising your book there too, doesn't cost a penny unless it sells, you could undercut the others. I signed up and have listed stuff but no luck yet

Over on Abebooks as well, many sellers are overpriced and some have prices on everday books which make your eyes water, The "harry potter, goblet of fire" first edition with errors, was listed at something like £300 and listed as "extremely rare". Ive sold one in the past year and have another sat upstairs, and you can pick them up on flebay for abou 20 pound up

s
    Click here to see my items for Sale!
    Amiga, Mega Drive, Playstation Games and More!

Forum Diehard
    View QCPOTS's Feedback (+52)
    All-About QCPOTS
    View QCPOTS's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manstomar View Post
    Over on Abebooks as well, many sellers are overpriced and some have prices on everday books which make your eyes water, The "harry potter, goblet of fire" first edition with errors, was listed at something like £300 and listed as "extremely rare". Ive sold one in the past year and have another sat upstairs, and you can pick them up on flebay for abou 20 pound up

s
    Hi manstomor, have you been into my store yet,
    something there for you,
    have a peek ,,tell me what you think,,,

Is this book title blessed with powers that make sellers put high prices on it?

Out of curiosity I keyed the title into Amazon (but not the author)

This different book came back at me

The Price of Wisdom: Heroic Struggle to Become a Person (Paperback)
    by James M. McMahon (Author)

it is only priced at: £1,120.48 - mind you that is the HIGHEST priced one there, the lowest is £29.75!

When started selling books, I used Amazon as a price guide. It eventually sunk in that perhaps this wasn't the most accurate way of doing things.
    http://im1.ebidst.com/upload_banner/booksforsale_61768.jpg

Booksforsale For Vintage Homewares and New & Secondhand Books

Main Store - Click Here

Join ebid here

Thread Information