My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost 1 million listings?

That would explain the discrepancy! Although I see no need to go including such, erm, speculation in any releases..

Bad Ice

And James3, I just had a look at your listings.

The titles need a little work. A lot of them are only going to be found if someone happens to be browsing that category. "1989 toys" for instance..

That is not a term anyone is going to be typing in. If anyone did want "toys" they aren't wanting stamps. If they are wanting "stamps" they will say so in their search terms.

I like to use this tool to see how people describe the things they are looking for..

http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

Ice

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by IceHouse View Post
    Sales depend on targeted traffic levels. High traffic doesn't happen all by itself. On Greedbay you can list stuff and traffic just happens. Its the entire reason sellers are willing to pay those prices. Here, where its cheaper, you have to get your finger out and get your own traffic to your listings.

Ice
    I read somewhere, on another thread I think, that eBay has been "buying up" most/all the search engines. If that's the case then, the traffic doesn't just happen, eBay MAKE it so!

If it stands still, eBay will buy it. They buy up everything, powersellers, warehouse people, search engines, etc.,

I think eBid will get there, eventually If we just keep plodding along doing our bit, we will get there

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View DaisyChain's Feedback (+76)
    All-About DaisyChain
    View DaisyChain's Listings
    Forum Posts

I believe the listings are now at a total of just over 1 million
    Click here to see my items for Sale!
    Amiga, Mega Drive, Playstation Games and More!

That's brilliant! More listings means more choice for buyers. More choice for buyers means more visitors to the site and more visitors means more sales.

... can't stop grinning LOL!
    Check out my shop at http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-IKEA-Plus-Shop
    • IKEA - great items on offer (Special request service offered!)
    • PLUS - lots of other goodies too!

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View bjt1964's Feedback (+274)
    All-About bjt1964
    View bjt1964's Listings
    Forum Posts

At 9pm 2nite it was 998012.

Maybe they could give away a car to the 1000000 listing
    do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by IceHouse View Post
    Sales depend on targeted traffic levels. High traffic doesn't happen all by itself. On Greedbay you can list stuff and traffic just happens. Its the entire reason sellers are willing to pay those prices. Here, where its cheaper, you have to get your finger out and get your own traffic to your listings.

Anyway it doesn't matter how many sales yet. At this stage I'd say any actual sale was a bonus. When merchandise is listed here but doesn't sell, it tends to stay here. This is good. It can stay at no cost. Hence the 4% listings growth theres been some days and the lower prices. Ebid has the exact right strategy for phenomenal listings growth and in the longer term thats what will matter.
    I totally agree, Icehouse. Slowly but surely, that's the way with Ebid. It's a matter of reaching a critical mass of listings (i.e. having most things that most people want) but at cheaper prices than Greedbay, plus there are loads of unhappy sellers on Greedbay who know that even when they buy, they are indirectly paying Greedbay's fees (as the seller has to pay them with the money they get for the item sold). Customer satisfaction over is a hundred times better than on Greedbay, we know there are only two people working their butts off on this site, and they can't immediately fix every problem we come up with, but what we DO know is that they actually listen and act on our complaints and requests. Nothing like that exists on Greedbay - we all know they just aren't interested in what their customers want - money is all that matters to them. That's why the Greedbay 'experience' is getting worse every day - it's awash with pyramid schemes, Chinese listings, illegal software, you name it - just trying to find a normal listing from the U.K. for a legitimate product is getting to be a real pain. On Ebid, it's far, far better.

When buyers do eventually come all by themselves, (and they will. Low prices act like a commercial vacuum) there is a greater chance of the stuff they wanted still being here even if it was listed months ago.

Ebid hasn't even got started yet. Thats fine. Many companies, like many bands, have been destroyed because it all came too soon.
    Yes, I agree. Ebid shouldn't be expected to magically take off when the public have been using Greedbay for a decade (is that right?). It takes time for people to come here, and as you say, it costs nothing for sellers to list, so even if sales aren't high (or even if they are currently non-existent) they can put up some items (as many as they want, for nothing) and see what happens. At the worst they've lost some time in doing so, but I'm sure things will continue to increase, both the number of listings, and the number of sales.

One press release isn't going to bring a flood of people. It will bring about the sort of increases easily absorbed by all the new sellers though.

The last thing you want in the public mind is the idea that Ebid, the Next Big Thing, wasn't all it was cracked up to be. However, a steady stream of human interest press releases over the course of the next two years should increase the public profile at about the right pace.

Suggestions for releases include any record growth figures, listings milestones, or toast that looks like the Pope.

Anyone meet their fiance here? Thats kind of thing needed.

Ice
    Here here!

Forum Newbie
    Nr Bristol, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    View UKcables's Feedback (+2)
    All-About UKcables
    View UKcables's Listings
    Forum Posts

The one thing to be worried about as J/Machine says

" read somewhere, on another thread I think, that eBay has been "buying up" most/all the search engines. If that's the case then, the traffic doesn't just happen, eBay MAKE it so!"

is if Greedbay buy up ebid, which they may do, if it even looks threatning...Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by leads..ltd View Post
    The one thing to be worried about as J/Machine says

" read somewhere, on another thread I think, that eBay has been "buying up" most/all the search engines. If that's the case then, the traffic doesn't just happen, eBay MAKE it so!"

is if Greedbay buy up ebid, which they may do, if it even looks threatning...Dave.
    I'm pretty sure I saw on another thread they tried, & were told ( politely of course cos G & M are Brits ) where to go!!
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Thread Information