Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Yardage Subcategory

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jsgypsy View Post
    I suppose that if we are going to do it, we should do it right the first time.

Would it be more logical to have Fabric/Type of Fabric/ Cut of Fabric?? What do you think?
    ========================

If you agree, then how about(suggestions welcomed):
    Fabric/Cotton/Fat Quarters
    Fabric/Cotton/Remnants
    Fabric/Cotton/Yardage/1-3 yards
    Fabric/Cotton/Yardage/4-7 yards
    Fabric/Cotton/Yardage/8 or more yards
    Fabric/Cotton/Patchwork Pieces

Fabric/Silk/(I'll let you add in here Madelaine)

Fabric/Synthetics & Blends

Fabric/Lace
    ==================

I sell alot of fabrics by the yard, sometimes I have less than 3 though. So I would hate for someone to think I have remnants. To me a remnant is an oddball sort of length... leftovers, but bigger than scraps.

===========================

So if we don't agree on my first suggestion of the breakdown, then how about:

Fabric/Fat Quarters/Cotton
    Fabric/Fat Quarters/Silk
    Fabric/Fat Quarters/Other

Fabric/Yardage/Cotton
    Fabric/Yardage/Silk
    Fabric/Yardage/Other

Fabric/Remnants/Cotton
    Fabric/Remnants/Silk
    Fabric/Remnants/Other

Fabric/Patchwork Pieces/Cotton
    Fabric/Patchwork Pieces/Silk
    Fabric/Patchwork Pieces/Other
    ============================

Cast your vote now! =) I am happy with either way. Hopefully we can get it sorted and if we need to make any additions later it won't be so drastic.

Rachel
    As a buyer..........I actually preferred the first option. I run two online quilting groups and always on the lookout for fabric...and I tend to go for the yardage categories first....

I dont think you need different yardages specified I would expect to go to a listing and see so much a yard and buy what I need, so why do you need 1 to 3, 4 to 7 and 8+ yards / meters .
    I think we should stick to Rachels last "we are going with this then" and add other things later as if you mess about too much we will end up with none

Sorry if my last post sounded rude, it wasn't meant to be, what i mean is if we keep changing our minds, the lads wont know which end's up

Latest version =)

Fabric/Fat Quarters/Cotton
    Fabric/Fat Quarters/Silk
    Fabric/Fat Quarters/Other

Fabric/Yardage/Cotton
    Fabric/Yardage/Silk
    Fabric/Yardage/Other

Fabric/Patchwork Pieces/Cotton
    Fabric/Patchwork Pieces/Silk
    Fabric/Patchwork Pieces/Other

Fabric/Panels

Fabric/Remnants

Fabric/Upholstery
    =============

Do you like upholstery where it is, or should it go under yardage?

-Rachel

Hi rachel, i dont do anything with upholstry fabric but just a thought would it look better as soft furnishings, as would upholstry cover curtain fabric, I wouldn't like to say as i dont sell it, what about curtain and upholstry fabric as then it would cover nets as well. Does anyone actually sell it on here?, I havent looked.

Could you put fabric panels and cardmaking fabric together somehow, or fabric panels with 2 sub categorys for.
    cushions panels.
    cardmaking squares,

or cardmaking fabric,,,,,,, sorry i don't know what they call it.

All-About stitchysyl
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    Sorry if my last post sounded rude, it wasn't meant to be, what i mean is if we keep changing our minds, the lads wont know which end's up
    Don't worry, I wasn't offended. I know what you mean about changing our minds...but its better to do that now, and not later. I am happy to go with yardage...its just that I am used
    to looking for fabric over 3mts...lol I can do that under yardage...

But I do think we need a category for 'curtains and soft furnishings'..that would cover upholstery etc.

Sorry if I'm being a bit disjointed ....I am trying to set up my second store, and just jumping in here when I can.

I AM trying to be helpful...honest!!!

Hi Syl, well i was hoping to do yardage as something like, this is 99p a meter ( or whatever) and I have 10 meters and then the person could buy what they want.. am i not looking at it right.. The only problem i can see for me is how can you give a postage quote...
    All i want to do is lighten the load on the top floor of my house before it ends up in bed with us.

All-About stitchysyl
    Forum Posts

I know its a tricky one.. yardage hmmm???

If you have a piece of fabric that is say 3mtrs long...its not a remnant. It would be in the yardage 3-5mt cat.it wouldn't be sold by the yard....I've bought pieces that have been sold as 10mt pieces before...not been listed by the yard.
    Do you see where I'm coming from.

I'm not being very clear I don't think...

Remnants to me are little bits and pieces, less than a yard, and sometimes odd shaped...a bit like the bundle stuff you sometimes see.

But saying that...I am OK with the categories as they stand...with just the 'Fabric/Curtain and soft furnishing' and the 'Fabric/panels and cardmaking' added.

At the end of the day, everyone will have their own way of searching and categorising, to meet their own needs. You can't please everyone, and the list we have is one everyone should be able to work within.

Postage...well. All you can do is put the postage rates in the description ..e.g. £1 for first yard 75p every yard thereafter...or email seller...etc..

We have asked Gazza before if we can have more options in the postage to accomodate this sort of thing...I guess they will get around to that eventually. Perhaps when they do the overhaul of the site. ( Did you see the post about that?)

View madhatter1's Feedback (+30)
    All-About madhatter1
    View madhatter1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default me nosey

Quote Originally Posted by stitchysyl View Post
    I know its a tricky one.. yardage hmmm???

If you have a piece of fabric that is say 3mtrs long...its not a remnant. It would be in the yardage 3-5mt cat.it wouldn't be sold by the yard....I've bought pieces that have been sold as 10mt pieces before...not been listed by the yard.
    Do you see where I'm coming from.

I'm not being very clear I don't think...

Remnants to me are little bits and pieces, less than a yard, and sometimes odd shaped...a bit like the bundle stuff you sometimes see.

But saying that...I am OK with the categories as they stand...with just the 'Fabric/Curtain and soft furnishing' and the 'Fabric/panels and cardmaking' added.

At the end of the day, everyone will have their own way of searching and categorising, to meet their own needs. You can't please everyone, and the list we have is one everyone should be able to work within.

Postage...well. All you can do is put the postage rates in the description ..e.g. £1 for first yard 75p every yard thereafter...or email seller...etc..

We have asked Gazza before if we can have more options in the postage to accomodate this sort of thing...I guess they will get around to that eventually. Perhaps when they do the overhaul of the site. ( Did you see the post about that?)
    What about end of roll or run

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Madhatters-Kitchen

If it looks great wear it!
    If it don't "Laugh Out Loud"

Thread Information