Thread: vintage/antique & costume jewellery

View minkyrra's Feedback (+1752)
    All-About minkyrra
    View minkyrra's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up vintage/antique & costume jewellery

pleased to see that jewellery has been given its own section

i dont actually wear much (if any) but i love it

i love victorian mourning jewellery, vic brooches, 50s,60s & 70s costume and a whole load of other 'stuff'

i also have a passion for the unusual, sparkly or downright odd...

not into odd bits of dead animal/birds made into jewellery though

anyone else out there with similar interests?

know any good info sites on the subject?

any costume, or vintage/antique jewellery collectors out there?

anyone looking for info on something they own or have seen?

or if anyone has gorgeous pics they want to share..... post them up!

jewellery pics only please!

Smile

I agree - lovely to have Jewellery forum and threads. I also love jewellery but don't wear it a lot - mainly because I have animals and things get damaged if you wear fancy stuff or dangly earrings.

Saying that I make it!

Been doing so for 16+ years - I have difficulty categorizing it but I think on eBid it should come under Costume Jewellery which covers most things.

I'm wondering what buyers think when they see 'Handmade' or 'Handcrafted' in the title - does this make people want to look or put them off?

Basically love to know what peoples tastes are and what makes you look twice at a piece.

Think I'll stop waffling now and let someone else get a word in.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by alisonofcoalway View Post
    I agree - lovely to have Jewellery forum and threads. I also love jewellery but don't wear it a lot - mainly because I have animals and things get damaged if you wear fancy stuff or dangly earrings.

Saying that I make it!

Been doing so for 16+ years - I have difficulty categorizing it but I think on eBid it should come under Costume Jewellery which covers most things.

I'm wondering what buyers think when they see 'Handmade' or 'Handcrafted' in the title - does this make people want to look or put them off?

Basically love to know what peoples tastes are and what makes you look twice at a piece.

Think I'll stop waffling now and let someone else get a word in.

Cheers
    Hi

Interesting thoughts. Waffle all you like - I do!

I have just started to sell jewellery in my on-line shop and a lot of it is sold to me by my suppliers as hand made in India - it isn't expensive and is meant to be fashionable jewellery for the here and now, and which by its very nature will go out of style very quickly. It is well made and suits the purpose it is bought for which is to be in fashion at a reasonable cost. I had a wonderful time choosing which designs to stock as I love looking at jewellery, especially with the current trend for bigger statement pieces.

After attending craft fairs and getting friendly with jewellery makers who spend a long time and put a lot of love into their jewellery I'm not sure exactly how the description hand made can mean the same thing for them - their jewellery will be worn for a long time as many pieces are classic designs using beautiful semi precious stones. Perhaps handcrafted says more about it as they are certainly crafting their wares so to speak. I think that most people are very aware of the difference between what I sell and what others personally make and sell. Horses for courses really.

Personally handcrafted jewellery - would get my attention and I would expect to be buying from the creator.

I think that maybe there should be a jewellery section added something like:

Handcrafted originals direct from the maker

Bit long maybe but it says it all.

Marina
    eBid store

http://uk.three.ebid.net/stores/Trea...es-From-Marina

On-line shop

www.shopwithmarina.co.uk

Fashion jewellery and an assortment of gifts that won’t break the bank!

Lovely Christmas antlers and snowmen deeley boppers in stock now – so cute!

Quote Originally Posted by alisonofcoalway View Post

Saying that I make it!

Basically love to know what peoples tastes are and what
    I make jewellery as well, I've been making it about the same length of time as you, since 1990. I make it because I love jewellery and beads so much.

I sell at craft fairs, I used to do a lot more than I do now, and it's amazing that even though it's a "craft" fair, and you have notices on the stall saying "handmade", people are still surprised when you say you make it yourself!

When I have time I make one-off beadwork pieces, I have a website full of stuff I've made over the years. I doubt that I would be able to sell the one-off more expensive stuff her or on any internet site, people like to touch it and try necklaces on before buying. Still, maybe I'll put a couple of pieces in my shop at some point just to show what I can do

Hi - forgotten I'd posted on this thread - long time ago now.

Interesting thoughts from you both.

I agree about people wanting to be able to touch and pick up the jewellery - I think this is a problem when selling on-line. I think that they can imagine gold, silver and diamonds/cz and other precious stones because so much of it on sale in the real world but when it comes to anything else they need to be able to see it in real life.

I have listed a few of my 'one off' pieces - lots of lookers but no buyers on the more expensive items - but sell loads of it out in the real world.

I quite like 'Personally handcrafted jewellery' and 'Handcrafted originals directly from the maker' I've got something similar on some of my handouts. Might try changing a few of my listings see what happens.

Anyone else want the chance to waffle a bit.

Alison

Forum Newbie
    Bowness On Windermere, Cumbria, United Kingdom
    All-About PistolBall
    View PistolBall's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minkyrra View Post
    know any good info sites on the subject?
    Hi!

This is a lovely book.

Haven't bought it yet - just looked for about an hour in Ottakars one day!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Costume-Jewe.../dp/1405300140

Kat xx
    Welcome To The Pistol Ball

<a href=http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Pistol-Ball-Jewellery target=_blank>http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Pistol-Ball-Jewellery</a>

I am glad we have vintage as well. I have a huge collection of vintage. My pic files are too large to post and will have to fix that for you first. I go from the eighties to the late 1800's so far with what I have. I do sell it on another site but not here. I wanted to do something differant on ebid at first. jacksonjewels.com is a good site to look up jewelry marks if you need to. I don't have any affiliation there.

Smile Customized Photo Italian Charms

Hi,

I also make Customized Jewelry. For the Lady that likes certain pictures and stuff, I can put ANY picture on a 9mm, 18mm or Superlink Italian Charm. Whether it's a family member, favorite destination, pet, celebrity, name & or date of specific event or Birthday - I can make it. I also sell other italian charm products such as starter bracelets, keychains, necklaces, watches & any other italian charm you could think of. If I don't have it listed there is a good chance I still have it in stock. Just visit my store at http://us.four.ebid.net/stores/TheCharmLady-new-store1
    or email me at jmidkiff@zoominternet.net for more information.
    Charms are a terrific gift to give or as a keepsake for yourself and almost everyone likes to receive something Personalized or Customized.

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View DaisyChain's Feedback (+76)
    All-About DaisyChain
    View DaisyChain's Listings
    Forum Posts

We sell quite a bot of gold jewellery at much cheaper prices than we sell it elsewhere/

Just waiiting to list a bunch of items, after the site revamp

The good news is, which we are excited about is that we have a meeting on thursday with a top quality costumer jewellery supplier and are hoping to purchase a large selection of quality items, watch this space
    Click here to see my items for Sale!
    Amiga, Mega Drive, Playstation Games and More!

Thread Information