Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ebid Home Page

Quote Originally Posted by GirlPlanet View Post
    not everyone is on a fast processor with tons of memory in there pc, some people still use intel celeron or pentium 3 processor
    I'm currently viewing the site through my mum's PC, which is a Pentium 3 500MHz with 32Mb graphics card and 640Mb RAM.

The home page loads only about 2 seconds slower than on my own Pentium 4.

Web pages don't tend to use that much RAM as they're mostly text, so that's not likely to be a major problem. That said, a lack of RAM is not a problem with the page, is it? it's an issue with the PC - which is basically what I've been saying all along!

Even so, with RAM being so cheap (especially for older, slower machines), there's no reason not to get more!

View GirlPlanet's Feedback (+42)
    All-About GirlPlanet
    View GirlPlanet's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paranoimia View Post
    I'm currently viewing the site through my mum's PC, which is a Pentium 3 500MHz with 32Mb graphics card and 640Mb RAM.

The home page loads only about 2 seconds slower than on my own Pentium 4.

Web pages don't tend to use that much RAM as they're mostly text, so that's not likely to be a major problem. That said, a lack of RAM is not a problem with the page, is it? it's an issue with the PC - which is basically what I've been saying all along!

Even so, with RAM being so cheap (especially for older, slower machines), there's no reason not to get more!
    Look, I am not into technical stuff in a big way like some ppl are, i was simply saying that it could be a number of reasons why the sites main page is slow, either way its not my fault!

And just for the record, ram may be very cheap, however some of us use auctions to make a living to make ends meet because we cannot afford such things like ram, anyhow i did not say that ram was the SOLE reason for the page loading slowly, I added my 2p's worth to let you all know that I am another one that thinks it runs slow and thats the end of it, no need to make a big deal over the ram, its only RAM!

As i've already said, it is not the page that is the problem, because if it were, it would be slow for everyone who viewed it with IE.

I'm not making a big deal over RAM, nor am I trying to belittle anyone else or make them look stupid. All I'm doing - as someone who is into the technical stuff in a big way - is offering some basic advice on what could possibly be causing the page to be slow on some people's systems.

I've worked in IT for 12 years, and solved this kind of problem day in, day out. I appreciate that some people can't afford to keep their PC bang up to date etc. But the simple fact is (and to be clear, I mean no offence to anyone by this) you either need to improve your PCs capabilities by upgrading accordingly, or put up with the issues you describe.

It's sound advice, and you can take it or leave it. Just don't take offence because someone who knows what they're talking about is trying to help you!

Apologies if that sounds arrogant - I'm really not an asshole, I'm just getting a bit tired of people biting my head off when all I'm trying to do is help.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlPlanet View Post
    And just for the record, ram may be very cheap, however some of us use auctions to make a living to make ends meet
    Remember the old adage, a good workman is only as good as his tools.
    If you are using the internet for entertainment then using slow and dated equipement is fine. If you are trying to make a living then you want the best you can afford.
    All too often we hear both on this site and the other 'I'm running a business so I can't' when what should really be said is 'I'm running a businss so I must'

John

View GirlPlanet's Feedback (+42)
    All-About GirlPlanet
    View GirlPlanet's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnh6038 View Post
    Remember the old adage, a good workman is only as good as his tools.
    If you are using the internet for entertainment then using slow and dated equipement is fine. If you are trying to make a living then you want the best you can afford.
    All too often we hear both on this site and the other 'I'm running a business so I can't' when what should really be said is 'I'm running a businss so I must'

John
    I'm not saying my pc is crap, i'm saying if i want upgrade anything then it will have to wait because other things come before pc bits and bobs, such as replenishing the stock on my website, I did own a shop but I closed because the online shop is doing more than the offline shop.

paranoimia: Not biting your head off matey, just simply replying to your post and would like to add in the nicest of manners because I find it hard doing nice at times (pmt sufferer, not a joke either) but maybe word your posts a bit better because it looks and feels like your attacking ppl whether it is intentional or not, sorry but thats the best i can do for nicest possible manner.

and this is to John, my pc is running on windows xp pro, 700mhz intel celeron, 320mb ram, onboard graphics card dunno how much is on it. Either way it does me till i can get my new pc built, which is designed to run on pentium 4

Thread Information