Thread: Crackle Glaze

Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View stitchysyl's Feedback (+2137)
    All-About stitchysyl
    View stitchysyl's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Crackle Glaze

I need some help.

I am going to have a go at some crackle glazing. I've already ordered the crackle glaze medium ( sorry, but not on Ebid...couldn't find any here) but I believe I need some matt emulsion for the top coat...and the problem I have is:

I am crackle glazing 1:12 dolls house miniatures...so just need a small tin
    AND I need it in BLACK.

Does anyone know where I can buy a small tin of black paint that would be suitable for use as a top coat. Or can I use something else.

Forum Diehard
    All-About mfkirke
    View mfkirke's Listings
    Forum Posts

A matchpot? or would that be too small?
    Madelaine

I have two ebid stores. This is for Cats Protection;Lots of beanies, fast food toys, random collectables, some new children's clothes - almost anything really.
    this is business and sells skeleton leaves, Thai silk, various vintage postcards, more random collectables
    Both sell discontinued china tableware.

Default Acrylic

I have used crackle glaze a few times, but I thought you were supposed to only use acrylic paints over. You can buy small pots of acrylic paints from craft shops in all colours from about 99p.

All-About stitchysyl
    Forum Posts

I put a thread up on the KT a while ago and asked there...and got lots of help. The results of my first attempt have been great...I am now addicted...so the cat better stay on the move, or it could end up a different pattern of black and white..lol

I

Hi
    I too have had a go with crackle glaze, but using acrylic paint. I must admit I was addicted too. A case of where else can I put this!!!! It looks great if using gold paint underneath too.

All-About stitchysyl
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kitschbeads View Post
    Hi
    I too have had a go with crackle glaze, but using acrylic paint. I must admit I was addicted too. A case of where else can I put this!!!! It looks great if using gold paint underneath too.
    one of my hobbies is 1:12 miniatures / dolls houses.

I am furnishing a large house with witches/wizard things and have painted the furniture with crackle. Black with gold underneath. It looks WICKED!!!

I bought a load of old goth earrings and using then to decorate chairs etc...such fun...

I have a family of vampires for the attic rooms...the coffin paimted black with gold is soooo.....spooky.

Talking Me too!

I too am a miniatures fanatic, I have crackle glazed an antique shop and stripped somefurniture ready to crackle glaze - although I got side-tracked and went onto the next miniature project. Its good fun though and the effects are amazing. I find it a bit hit and miss though for some reason - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Obviously the way I hold my mouth while attempting it though.

stitchysyl my daughter is a keen collector of doll's house miniatures but has noticed a distinct lack of the smaller scale items on ebid (she also wants to get away from ebay) 1/24th and 1/16th (is that right?) is what she collects mainly as her current display of 1/12th is pretty much complete.

She just loves gothic etc and is always on the look out for hand made pieces, that's what she prefers if she can't get vintage items.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stitchysyl View Post
    I need some help.

I am going to have a go at some crackle glazing. I've already ordered the crackle glaze medium ( sorry, but not on Ebid...couldn't find any here) but I believe I need some matt emulsion for the top coat...and the problem I have is:

I am crackle glazing 1:12 dolls house miniatures...so just need a small tin
    AND I need it in BLACK.

Does anyone know where I can buy a small tin of black paint that would be suitable for use as a top coat. Or can I use something else.
    Hi just noticed your help message. The best paint to use on top of crackle glaze is acrylic. It dries within five minutes, and you can buy it in a 4oz bottle ranging from 99p to £1.99 Hope this has been some help to you. Happy painting! pumpkinpatch xx

Thread Information