eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advertizing? Where?

Wakefield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View nobrassband's Feedback (+1072)
    All-About nobrassband
    View nobrassband's Listings
    Forum Posts

eBay has advertised its auctions, e.g. on television and even at bus shelters. You can even earn Nectar points by buying (fixed price/BIN) from eBay through the Nectar portal. So it is up there with the likes of Sainsburys, Dixons, Debenhams, Comet, Avon and Weightwatchers. Whatever else one might think about eBay, it knows how to market itself and has become a household name alongside the other names. It doesn't even really need to do much advertising now as it is so well established. "Bought it on eBay" you might hear in the pub or wherever, but "Bought it on eBid", less likely.

In the early days when the Internet was young and eBay was revolutionary, it may have been different - but that was then and this is now. Other auction venues come and go - some still linger but never hit the big time.

eBid has never really capitalised on eBay's greed and own goals. I have been with eBid for some years now but the big breakthrough has still not manifested itself. A pity, real competition would benefit all auction sellers and buyers alike. Possibly the imminent revamp will herald a new dawn for eBid. I hope so.

Perhaps eBay is just too well established to be challenged unless it is by some dynamic entrepreneur with deep pockets, but then "it wouldn't be eBid" I hear someone say.

Books and More from nobrassband

~~~
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
    (Isaac Asimov)

I'm getting more sales lately- Its a real pity they give up trying to get a sensible invoice and abandon the sale though!

Forum Newbie
    Stourport-On-Severn, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    View Windrush's Feedback (+10)
    All-About Windrush
    View Windrush's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile

There are plenty of sellers here but not nearly enough buyers and only advertising the site is going to pull people in. Having said that, to my amazement, I've just been notified of a bid on an item that has been sitting here for around 9 months. When I get over the shock I'll have to decide what I'm going to spend the £2.50 on.

Everything now days comes down to advertising. Have to get Ebid in the news otherwise it is going to fail. And that cannot be allowed to happen as the other site becomes larger & larger with no end in sight. We need a marketplace for the little guy in this world of corporate excess. What To Do?

Purchase a BOOK today at:
    http://us.four.ebid.net/stores/Second-Street-Books
    eBid Store Owner osceolabul [7]
    A Variety of Used Books

Amazon started as a bookselling website and built a reputation on that.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Forum Newbie
    View northstreet's Feedback (+149)
    All-About northstreet
    View northstreet's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRUSALES View Post
    The Huge Site we will not name was founded in 1995 and only THREE years later Ebid was founded in 1998. Correct according to Wikipedia. So both sites have been goind for about a decade. The newer Site that begins with a T was founded only last year.

Realistically you would expect Ebid to be on a par now with the former rather than competing with the latter perhaps.

But the fact is Ebid appeals to a completely different marketplace and I am starting to realise that.

One seller here likened it to Am*z*n and thats probably pretty accurate. Except here they dont stip your wallet of all your profit on fees.

So should Ebid TV Advertise, well I no longer think they should - its probably money that can be spent better elsewhere. Do Am*z*n advertise on TV - NOPE - yet everyone has heard of them because they get great MEDIA coverage in the News.

So what could EBID do to get in the MEDIA SPOTLIGHT ?
    taz has approx 130,000 items for sale, ebid 1,200,000 items approx.
    feebay in decline so i think ebid is chasing feebay and not being chased by taz

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

From what I have heard, there is an advertising campaign planned for when the revamp has been done.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Really hard to keep waiting for any sales. Ebid needs to get their name out there. Don't list much on the other site anymore with the high fees, still sell some out of my store over there, but they get you on fees there also. What is one to do? Am really depending on this site to "take off," & SOON!
    Come on guys.............Richard
    http://us.four.ebid.net/stores/Second-Street-Books
    eBid Store Owner osceolabul [7]
    A Variety of Used Books

Ok so ebay is a horrible monopoly and you all want it to decline but be honest and how many of you are still selling and buying on there. That is what counts, OK it may be some pain but if you don't have the courage of your convictions and pull out of the place completely it will continue.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

View BLOXBOOKS's Feedback (+5010)
    All-About BLOXBOOKS
    View BLOXBOOKS's Listings
    Forum Posts

CRUSALES, honest I think some times it maybe best to look at things with a positive view and leave referance to some other sites alone, its like going into Tesco and handing flyers out for ASDA, its outta order, thats just my personal feeling, eBid is a place I do want to stay and have spent many hours listing, I think for myself to avoid comment about other similar sites is the best way.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BLOXBOOKS

Thread Information