Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fake Militaria

Forum Newbie
    All-About Queensman
    View Queensman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi all, an update on my last comments, after writing them, my listing was removed. Seems that ebid is as restrictive as ebay.

Default Ebid guidelines...

It seems Ebid is gendering plenty of frustration among collectors of history with their purposeful vague guidelines as to what can and cannot be listed in many areas like WWII GERMAN items. I'm sure this is intentional for many reasons, one of which might be to get your "$50 of hope" for finding a venue conducive to history buffs. I had a brother who listed his entire collection about 1.5 years ago on Ebid without a hitch. However, I sign up in January ($50) and have my first item yanked with no explanation as they advertise will be done upon their discretion. If you can't deal with frustration well then you are better off waiting. I sure hope Ebid steps up to the plate with history-friendly guidelines. I would praise Ebid if they would use common sense and keep the market open but perhaps require that sellers of German WWII items only sell/send to those countries that allow such... whats wrong with that?

I suspect this eBid rule in the list of banned items

What we deem "offensive". eBid may at its discretion, remove items and refund listing fees. eBid reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of listings posted to our site. There can be cultural differences and sensitivities. Please be careful to post items that are appropriate for our global community.

covers a lot of ground.

This gives them the right to remove something if they are in doubt. I think you do need to contact eBid directly if you're not sure, and live with their decision.

FOLLOW ME PLEASE... (correct me if I am wrong....) Lets suppose I list 20 items tomorrow from a collection of WWII German items. Now lets also suppose that I did so very carefully and was almost 100% successful not to "not to offend" the sensitivities of the world communities nor Ebid personnel. However, it just so happens that one out of the 20 listings is subjectively borderline in the eyes of a customer and they "report" this auction to Ebid for scrutiny and lets say Ebid agrees with this report and deems this listing subjectively ("at their discretion") offensive and takes due action... Apparently, from what I read, Ebid will remove all 20 of my auctions (shut me down completely) and have me evaluate/guess as to which one or ones were at fault and which ones were okay... If this be correct, it's a great way to stifle motivation for me to list any items in bulk in a category that "appears" to be legitimate and welcoming. ((PS...This is not a complaint....I need motivation assuring me I'm not wasting hours of my time here with Ebid)).

The only people who can answer you are support, so why not email them with a list of the items you wish to list & ask if they will be allowed or not?
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Quote Originally Posted by dandan66 View Post
    FOLLOW ME PLEASE... (correct me if I am wrong....) Lets suppose I list 20 items tomorrow from a collection of WWII German items. Now lets also suppose that I did so very carefully and was almost 100% successful not to "not to offend" the sensitivities of the world communities nor Ebid personnel. However, it just so happens that one out of the 20 listings is subjectively borderline in the eyes of a customer and they "report" this auction to Ebid for scrutiny and lets say Ebid agrees with this report and deems this listing subjectively ("at their discretion") offensive and takes due action... Apparently, from what I read, Ebid will remove all 20 of my auctions (shut me down completely) and have me evaluate/guess as to which one or ones were at fault and which ones were okay... If this be correct, it's a great way to stifle motivation for me to list any items in bulk in a category that "appears" to be legitimate and welcoming. ((PS...This is not a complaint....I need motivation assuring me I'm not wasting hours of my time here with Ebid)).
    Usually a reported listing is removed and others left. I suppose if a seller is so bold as to list 3000 items in wrong categories, or list 3000 forbidden items, they will all get pulled.

Important to deal with specifics when contacting ebid support with questions like this. Just asking what they consider offensive items will not get you the info you need. Better to ask "can I list a WWII Nazi helmet?" instead. If you do get go ahead, I have found that they actually give you tips on how to list to stay within the parameters of the rules too.

Actually, here is how it reads, "If any of your items cross this boundary, ALL your auctions will be deleted without notice and your account placed on hold."

I guess the only advice is for me to painstakingly run each and every item by Ebid for approval if it pertains to the German WWII catagory.

Would you know what I meant if I said I would like to list a small "W.H.W. container" used for handing out trinkets for the winter relief fund with a party swastika on the top? I doubt it! But, I will never know until I try... So, hopefully, I will get enough guidance from Ebid to supply motivation to begin listing.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    ...I think you do need to contact eBid directly if you're not sure, and live with their decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    The only people who can answer you are support, so why not email them with a list of the items you wish to list & ask if they will be allowed or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post
    ...Important to deal with specifics when contacting ebid support with questions like this. Just asking what they consider offensive items will not get you the info you need. Better to ask "can I list a WWII Nazi helmet?" instead. If you do get go ahead, I have found that they actually give you tips on how to list to stay within the parameters of the rules too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandan66 View Post
    I guess the only advice is for me to painstakingly run each and every item by Ebid for approval if it pertains to the German WWII catagory.

You got it eventually then!

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

That is not an answer

A real answer would be a clear policy - and hopefully a reasonable one too

Currently I think gunbroker.com is the best place to list militaria
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Quote Originally Posted by bluebedouin View Post
    You got it eventually then!
    Yes...I got it! ... and hopefully many others history buffs with this same dilemma will now get it too -- "In order to sell a German WWII item on Ebid one should spend all day making lists of items for approval, then wait for a written permission slip to arrive" ...as if Ebid or her customers have time for this, how silly! Now knowing this is the accepted procedural method for listing German WWII items is definitely a move in the right direction - history buffs now have something concrete to factor into their deliberations before deciding to become lifetime members. Our discussion has been profitable!

Thread Information