Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Any experts on Enoch Wedgwood 1835 Asiatic Pheasants plate?

Forum Master
    View sofiag1964's Feedback (+456)
    All-About sofiag1964
    View sofiag1964's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Any experts on Enoch Wedgwood 1835 Asiatic Pheasants plate?

Hello kids,

I was donated by a dear friend an item to sell on ebid. It is marked 'Enoch Wedgwood Tunstall Ltd, The Original Manufacturers of Asiatic Pheasants Founded in 1835, Made in England, A genuine Staffordshire Hand Engraving Decorated Under Glaze; Detergent and Acid Resisting Colours' is all written on the back of this blue and white plate. Here is the pic. Has a couple chips under the rim and a little bit of blue colour on the white part of the plate.
    Last edited by islandgirl; 8th May 2006 at 08:33 PM.

Forum Master
    All-About sofiag1964
    Forum Posts

I've been looking on website to get a round about figure of what it may be worth, if anything so that I can place in my shop here to sell.

Default Enoch Wedgwood

Quote Originally Posted by islandgirl
    Hello kids,

I was donated by a dear friend an item to sell on ebid. It is marked 'Enoch Wedgwood Tunstall Ltd, The Original Manufacturers of Asiatic Pheasants Founded in 1835, Made in England, A genuine Staffordshire Hand Engraving Decorated Under Glaze; Detergent and Acid Resisting Colours' is all written on the back of this blue and white plate. Here is the pic. Has a couple chips under the rim and a little bit of blue colour on the white part of the plate.

Enoch Wedgwood Tunstall Ltd was used on items from 1965 onwards. I wouldn't expect it to be worth very much as you say that it has two chips to it. Is the paint flaw on the front or the back of the plate. If on the front that again would reduce its value. Sorry to be negative but ceramic items have to be in tip top condition these days.

Forum Master
    All-About sofiag1964
    Forum Posts

Thank you, I appreciate it... unfortunately the paint flaw is in front....

I'm wondering if it's even worth selling on eBid... if it is, what you think I should price it up as?

Quote Originally Posted by islandgirl
    Thank you, I appreciate it... unfortunately the paint flaw is in front....

I'm wondering if it's even worth selling on eBid... if it is, what you think I should price it up as?
    Very difficult to say without seeing plate. From your description I would probably auction it with a starting price of £5.00. If it was sold at an auction house I would expect it to go for around £3.00. or be put in with a job lot.

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

ugrows right Sophia, the factory only produced from 1965 to 1980 and was taken over again by the Wedgwood Group and re-named Unicorn Pottery.

It's not unusual for potters to use a date of the original founding company or the date the factory was first built ...e.g 1835... they were trying to give an appearance of age and stability to their products.

Close up of the Mark. As yours also has (Detergent and Acid Resisting Colours') printed on I would say nearer the later production date.

The bowl looks deep on your photograph, is it not a wide brimmed flat soup bowl rather than a plate ?

Still worth a try under auction, as there are many collectors of Blue & White ware, and the flaws you mention would not show if used for wall decoration.

Good luck.

Forum Master
    All-About sofiag1964
    Forum Posts

Thank you both... I'm learning quite a lot here as these items were donated to me from a dear friend. I will give it a try here on eBid... oh, yes, you're right, it's a wide brimmed soup bowl - still learning the lingo... thank you for the correction... so, when I put it for auction, it will have the right wording..

again, thank you very,very much!

Hi Islandgirl, when you list it add soup plate into the description as well as some people call them that as well.

Forum Master
    All-About sofiag1964
    Forum Posts

hi b&b... thank you... I will

Thread Information