Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Do we really need the type of robbing sellers on ebid?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Am I bovvered

3 17.65%
  • should this be sorted out by ebid or left to the buyer to notice?

9 52.94%
  • Is it "FAIR ON ebidders" all around

5 29.41%
  • Should there be a name and shame facility controlled by ebid admin?

7 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Awesome Changes, SHAME ABOUT THE SHARKS.

Wink

Yes it is annoying when people abuse these systems (happy hour) unfortunately EBID cant put a blanket price for postage in this or any category as different items cost different amounts to send.

I hope that people coming here from feebay will start auctions at sensible prices and charge appropriate postage as there are no listing fees and therefore it dosent cost more to start an auction near where you would be happy with the price.

Again read all details about price and postage and feedback before bidding.

Cool Buyer Beware

The only reason people gripe about inflated postage charges is because they themselves can't be bothered to read the details of an auction.

Personally I don't inflate postage, but it is a common practice that is used to attract the unwary and tight fisted into making a bid on something they aren't willing to pay a decent price for.

If buyers got it into their heads that it is not the function of an auction venue to monitor the charges of it's sellers and that they themselves are soley responsible for ensuring they don't pay more than they think is fair, the sooner the pirates and chancers will disappear.

A con trick is only effective when there is a mug willing to be duped.

Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    View jarpet21's Feedback (+373)
    All-About jarpet21
    View jarpet21's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi I never understand why buyers complain about high postage charges. I would like to think that my rates are fair but I am aware that some sellers do charge extortionate amounts. The point is though that if these sellers were forced to reduce their postage charges they would just increase the start price of the auction so the buyer wouldn't be any better off. When I buy anything I always look at the postage charge to see what the overall charge is. If I am not happy with the total price then I don't bid its as simple as that. I really don't see why it is the fault of the seller if you choose still to bid. The only way to stop it would be not to buy from those charging higher postage rates. However if these sellers with high postage rates are charging so much why aren't annoyed buyers purchasing from other sellers who charge less for postage? Or is it that the combined costs are still cheaper than that of others or am I missing something?

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jarpet21
    The only way to stop it would be not to buy from those charging higher postage rates. However if these sellers with high postage rates are charging so much why aren't annoyed buyers purchasing from other sellers who charge less for postage? Or is it that the combined costs are still cheaper than that of others or am I missing something?
    Like I too said before
    But the only sure fire way to stop this, is not to buy.
    As for missing something? , perhaps it is as simple as there are no similar items available. !!

Hi there,
    It is up to the seller what they decide to charge in postage.
    I know some are extortinate.
    A bidder however has the choice of whether to bid or not to bid after taking into account the incurring postage charges.

My gripe is about the inflated postage scams that are rife especially in the "NO RESERVE" / "60 MINUTE" / "FRONT PAGE"
    auctions.
    I would agree with all, that there are some who charge extortionate prices. However, the buyer is just as much at fault.
    1. You get some folk that want something for nothing.
    2.. They haven't checked properly. Some have to charge a certain amount for postage. ie card backed envelopes are expensive, but most sellers give a reduction or free postage on other items bought at the same time. (I am one of them)
    3. The buyers want the item and gripe about it afterwards. Why bother, just don't buy.

There are a few who abuse the system, but they are in a minority. Don't class everyone by the same standards. PLEASE!
    Last edited by paintinglemonjane; 10th April 2006 at 09:15 PM.
    PLJ

Store open again
    For Portraits in Pastels, Watercolour and Graphite Pencil.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Sweet-Smel...cess-Art-Store
    For beautiful hand made Greeting Cards
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Card-Shop
    For Collectors Dolls
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Doll-Shop
    Quality Secondhand Books
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Book-Shop
    Fine Jewellery and Costume Jewellery
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-Little-Jewellery-Shop

Quote Originally Posted by slinkyri
    Well I say read the listing first ! Before I get an invoice for ANYTHING at all I make sure I know what the full charge will be...
    Yes, I agree, but it would save buyers a lot of time (and encourage some sellers to sharpen up their act) if you didn't have to pull up the LISTING in order to check the postage.

Why isn't the postage displayed along with the latest bid and BIN price in the search results and the category browse?

John
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

The only problems I see, are that their listing appears first on the search by price- this isnt fair to the ebid community.
    Also in some cases the postage might not get refunded if you're not happy with the item.
    I think its ok if people charge a bit for packing the items, but those silly £1 item and £200 postage listings are just not on.
    I vote with my feet and don't buy them- but it would be fairer if they were not allowed to list like that-
    Unless they offer free pickup!

would someone be nice and help with my sigi coding please!
    A private message would be much appreciated as I dont know how to watch the discussions.

I think they should get rid of the HH and 60 min auctions, and just charge for Front Page auctions, put about 30 on the front page, charge £2.00 for a day on the front page, or something like that. Then high value items can be listed and seen there, instead of artificially keeping most of the products on the front page as low cost items.

Thread Information