Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Do we really need the type of robbing sellers on ebid?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Am I bovvered

3 17.65%
  • should this be sorted out by ebid or left to the buyer to notice?

9 52.94%
  • Is it "FAIR ON ebidders" all around

5 29.41%
  • Should there be a name and shame facility controlled by ebid admin?

7 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Awesome Changes, SHAME ABOUT THE SHARKS.

Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View les24548's Feedback (+417)
    All-About les24548
    View les24548's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs down Awesome Changes, SHAME ABOUT THE SHARKS.

Hi all,

I don't normally post to forums except when I really get to a fuming stage.

My gripe is about the inflated postage scams that are rife especially in the "NO RESERVE" / "60 MINUTE" / "FRONT PAGE"
    auctions.

Plenty has been said about this problem but not much seems to change.

Ask a seller, why the high postage, and you will normally get the reply "I can't give it away" or "yes it's so I get a high price for it"

If these so called sellers want a certain price for an item then put it in an auction with a reserve or starting price.

I suppose that will not work as it gives the buyer time to see the rip off POSTAGE.
    So BEWARE buyers and check all the info within the listing so the SHARK DON'T BITE YOU!

So come on ebid and protect the greatly improvd site from the SHARKS!

Some of the listings even state this in the auctions

To be honest if i get a nice item for a decent price, sent by the postage method that was stated in the auction i am really not too bothered if the seller makes abit extra in the auction...

What does bother me is when the auction states Special Delivery £12, then the parcel arrives by Royal mail standard costing £1.35... This has happened to me twice on here

i like to know my parcels are trackable & insured if they are quite a high value

if seller makes a bit extra in the *postage*

View thisnthatz's Feedback (+31)
    All-About thisnthatz
    View thisnthatz's Listings
    Forum Posts

If in doubt don't buy. Having said that, postage paid should at least be close to postage required.

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Postage is nothing to do with EBID . it's up to the seller to set postage- and to the buyer to read the auction and decide whether or not they buy. I'm constantly amazed people suggest we should hand over responsibility for setting postage levels to EBID!!! EBID is the venue- it has nothing to do with price setting- nor should it.
    I could not take part in your poll as there were no options to express my view

I agree with you Val.

I once sold a very expensive mobile phone on the happy hour. I needed to sell it that day, as I needed the money. So I started the phone at 1.00 (Because I had to), and I put the P&P cost very high, because I did not want to risk giving the phone away at a loss to me. I also noted at the very top of the listing about the REASON why the P&P was high. And to bid accordingly.
    So I was NOT trying to con anybody. I just needed to get the phone sold ASAP. And the Happy hour was the only way.

But if my autions say they will be posted by special delivery, then thats how I send them.

CAN YOU TELL ME WHATS WRONG WITH DOING THAT??
    WAS I REALLY SUPPOSED TO RISK SELLING A £100 + PHONE FOR PEANUTS??

Forum Newbie
    View KeepsakesGalore's Feedback (+6)
    All-About KeepsakesGalore
    View KeepsakesGalore's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by les24548
    Hi all,

I don't normally post to forums except when I really get to a fuming stage.

My gripe is about the inflated postage scams that are rife especially in the "NO RESERVE" / "60 MINUTE" / "FRONT PAGE"
    auctions.

Plenty has been said about this problem but not much seems to change.

Ask a seller, why the high postage, and you will normally get the reply "I can't give it away" or "yes it's so I get a high price for it"

If these so called sellers want a certain price for an item then put it in an auction with a reserve or starting price.

I suppose that will not work as it gives the buyer time to see the rip off POSTAGE.
    So BEWARE buyers and check all the info within the listing so the SHARK DON'T BITE YOU!

So come on ebid and protect the greatly improvd site from the SHARKS!
    I totally agree that it should be stopped.
    Ebay is rife with rip off's like this
    i.e, memory card for 99p then look at the invoice for 39.99 postage and packing.

I say stop it now before it start's to give bad name to the community.

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

As Val say's eBid is only a Venue, to allow you to buy and sell, at whatever rates you wish to apply, part quote from the terms and conditions we agree to.

Our site acts as the venue for sellers to conduct auctions and for bidders to bid on sellers' auctions. We are not involved in the actual transaction between buyers and sellers
    Yes I do agree there are some auctions, not just 60 mins. that are obvious for want of a better, word, rip offs.

Ask a question of the seller, the availability's there. The answer warns other buyers of something they may have missed when scanning the descriptions. (We've all done it) if we are truthful.

But the only sure fire way to stop this, is not to buy.

They will/should sharp get the message.

View slinkyri's Feedback (+2931)
    All-About slinkyri
    View slinkyri's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KeepsakesGalore
    I totally agree that it should be stopped.
    Ebay is rife with rip off's like this
    i.e, memory card for 99p then look at the invoice for 39.99 postage and packing.

I say stop it now before it start's to give bad name to the community.
    Well I say read the listing first ! Before I get an invoice for ANYTHING at all I make sure I know what the full charge will be, and anybody not checking what the full p&p is in my mind being very silly.

Amazon a huge concern has a set price when sending books out. If they send a very light floppy magazine out to you they will charge over £3. That's THEIR rules.

I'm with Val on that it is a venue here and therefore the postage charges set have nothing whatsover to do with Ebid.

This is an auction not a shop.

You go to a proper auction - you will be given a set of rules to abide by and if you agree you stay and if you don't - you GO!

As Christine pointed out the rules of Ebid which we agree to state quite clearly what admin are responsible for.

If you don't like the cost of postage - don't bid. Just read it first and save yourself the problem and wasted time of being incensed about it.

jmo

All-About brassedoff
    View brassedoff's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slinkyri
    You go to a proper auction - you will be given a set of rules to abide by and if you agree you stay and if you don't - you GO!
    Also at a "proper" auction price you bid is NOT the price you pay as there is commission between 10 and 15% plus VAT to add!

Thread Information