eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have pics of the mirror - if there's an expert in the house??!!

Forum Master
    View sofiag1964's Feedback (+456)
    All-About sofiag1964
    View sofiag1964's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default I have pics of the mirror - if there's an expert in the house??!!

Hopefully before March 2006 is over... I will finally get to the auction house! oi!

Any way... here are some pics of mirror.. I am told it's over 100 years old or so. Any experts out there {at least until I get to auction house}.
    Last edited by islandgirl; 14th April 2006 at 01:48 PM.

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

You said before in a previous post you were told it was 200 years old ?

Possibly a plate glass mirror polished edge, as opposed to bevelled , in a detailed gesso and woodgilt frame.

I don't think its pure gold leaf gilding, the gilded finish looks quite modern 1930/40's
    The chain and hooks suggest the same to me. LOL mind I'm no expert. so don't quote me.
    Are there any chips on the frame. what's the image like ? i.e. is there any blooming to the glass. as if the silvering was damaged.

I know this sounds daft, but hold a coin against the glass, how close is the reflection. Try it on a modern mirror too and you will see what I mean., it will show if its new/old mirror glass.
    TBH an Item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it on the day, that goes for online sales and auction houses.

I'm on the next tram out of here, if it turns out to be worth a bomb.

Good luck anyway, I would not fancy humping that for a valuation.

View minkyrra's Feedback (+1752)
    All-About minkyrra
    View minkyrra's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thehoneyant

Possibly a plate glass mirror polished edge, as opposed to bevelled , in a detailed gesso and woodgilt frame.

I don't think its pure gold leaf gilding, the gilded finish looks quite modern 1930/40's
    The chain and hooks suggest the same to me. LOL mind I'm no expert. so don't quote me.
    Are there any chips on the frame. what's the image like ? i.e. is there any blooming to the glass. as if the silvering was damaged.

I know this sounds daft, but hold a coin against the glass, how close is the reflection. Try it on a modern mirror too and you will see what I mean., it will show if its new/old mirror glass.
    TBH an Item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it on the day, that goes for online sales and auction houses.

i was going to suggest the same but with a pen.... laughs, never done it myself but read about it somewhere

i think on modern mirrors the reflection starts from where the pen touches (PLEASE DONT DO IT WITH A BIRO NIB!)

on older ones there is a gap, something to do with the glass used or whats used to make it reflect?

im not sure - something like that

(a little knowledge is dangerous)

and honeyant.... sorry... i couldnt let this bit go, even though instincts tell me i should

I would not fancy humping that for a valuation

i dont think a comment is required, the smilie says it all!

oh bugger i cant resist.....

marks out of ten please

Last edited by minkyrra; 21st March 2006 at 11:46 AM.

Forum Master
    All-About sofiag1964
    Forum Posts

LOL honeyant... I did say the person said it ws 200 yr old... but i did said over a 100 yr old not a 100... a difference my daaaaalink {i like using daaaaalink sometimes- i use to do that with my sister and mom} thilly isn't it?

but thanks for looking at that though.... hopefully, like I said before; I hope to get to a valuer soon! oi vey

I didnt do the coin image yet but the mirror has glitter all inside it; like it was done between glass instead of on the surface.. that part I thought was unusual although it's no showing on the pic... very unusual - never saw that in anything before.

will do coin test sometime later and will let you know

Forum Master
    All-About sofiag1964
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thehoneyant

hi again you really sound like you know your stuff.... have you ever been in the business or is it something you pick up as you go along in life; I'm very impressed!

I do appriciate what you've said though.

Thanks to you also Bel for checking it out; I appreciate it. Talk to you soon!

Sof

All-About thehoneyant
    Forum Posts

picked it up along the way, I used to buy and sell , but travelling to salerooms and fairs all over takes its toll after a while. LOL my car used to know its way blindfold up to Perth.

My Attic is groaning with the weight of stuff. I really should just have one last ditch attempt at a clearance, by putting it lock stock and barrel into a local Antique saleroom, and make a bit of cash. (I could do with a holiday)

Default maggiethecat

Quote Originally Posted by minkyrra
    i was going to suggest the same but with a pen.... laughs, never done it myself but read about it somewhere

i think on modern mirrors the reflection starts from where the pen touches (PLEASE DONT DO IT WITH A BIRO NIB!)

on older ones there is a gap, something to do with the glass used or whats used to make it reflect?

im not sure - something like that

(a little knowledge is dangerous)

I saw something on telly about the pen/coin test. I thought it was to ascertain if the mirror is silvered on the back or the front of the glass. Apparently, if it's silvered on the front, it could be a two way mirror. I'm probably wrong though. As Minky says, a little knowledge is dangerous. lol

Forum Master
    All-About sofiag1964
    Forum Posts

ooooo guess where I'm going this Saturday May 13, finally!!!! My husband promised, this SAturday we're going to the valuer with mirror and a few other bits...... FINALLY!!!! just thought I mention it.... been waiting for so long... the weeks just fly by!! okee dokee... will let you know!

All-About thehoneyant
    Forum Posts

Default Round of Applause !

...............well done that man. Hope you get a decent valuation.

Forum Master
    All-About sofiag1964
    Forum Posts

UPDATE!!

I finally got to an auctioneer.. the mirror is not worth anything!

Well, I thought I would let you know

Thread Information