My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: books first additions

Unhappy books first additions

How can you tell by reading the numbers whether its a first addition i am assuming that the ISBN number is how you tell but how do you read it is it as simple as to say if its a zero first number then its a first addition HELP PLEASE

Newton Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View nykmedia's Feedback (+922)
    All-About nykmedia
    View nykmedia's Listings
    Forum Posts

Re: First Editions - The ISBN identifies the publisher, edition and format of the publication. The easiest thing to do is run the ISBN number through a reputable book site or ask at your library, the results should show what edition it is. Also, it normally tells you the publishing dates at the front of the book, along with reprint dates if it is a later edition. Hope this helps
    Be my eBuddy - Join eBid HERE

Raising funds to help feed rescue ponies via my eBid Frugaldom store

Still winning with Racing Book Shop

ISBN's do NOT state whether a book is a first, second, third or any other edition of a book. The book can be reprinted dozens of times and still carry the same ISBN. A new ISBN is only required for a revised edition - one that has changed in some way from the previous version. http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/us/isbnqa.asp

Newton Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
    View nykmedia's Feedback (+922)
    All-About nykmedia
    View nykmedia's Listings
    Forum Posts

The details are provided on page 2 of the information leaflet entitled 'Applying for ISBNs, What you need to know' as provided with the actual ISBN application form. It clearly states,
    "An ISBN is a product number that is used by publishers, booksellers and libraries for ordering, listing and stock control purposes. It enables them to identify a particular Publisher and allows the Publisher to identify a specific edition of a specific title in a specific format within their output."

It says something similar on the ISBN website, address already listed in thread. I think you will find that when a book is republished, it says so on the title page. Reprints of the same title usually contain changes, even if it's only to the binding, typeface, front page, etc.

It should also be noted that there is no legal requirement for an ISBN on a book, so many first editions simply won't have them.

In short, I still think the easiest way to tell a genuine first edition is by checking the ISBN with the library or bookfind website and by what is printed on the cover page. But that's only the personal opinion of someone who works in publishing.
    Be my eBuddy - Join eBid HERE

Raising funds to help feed rescue ponies via my eBid Frugaldom store

Still winning with Racing Book Shop

Quote Originally Posted by nykmedia
    It says something similar on the ISBN website, address already listed in thread. I think you will find that when a book is republished, it says so on the title page. Reprints of the same title usually contain changes, even if it's only to the binding, typeface, front page, etc.
    Reprinted and republished are two different things.

Reprints can be later prints from exactly the same printing plates that were used on the first issuance of the book.

Republished books will, as you've said, usually contain differences. It is only when the book has been altered that it gets a new ISBN code.

The code itself does not contain specific data as to whether a book is a first, second, third or subsequent edition.

I suppose the argument comes as to the use of the word "Edition". If a book is printed, released and then more are printed from the original plates, would this be a first and second edition or two print runs of a first edition? I'd say that an edition number should only be incremented when the book is changed, but whose to say that the publishing world either agree with that, or that some might have and some might not?

The problem is that there was no set standard until the mid 1970's when WH Smith's ISBN code was adopted internationally. Books published before that could present all sorts of problems.
    Last edited by damian_steele; 21st December 2005 at 07:42 PM.

Thread Information