eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "ebid" is cheaper than feebay!!!

We're all selfish to some degree, it's in our genes, we're not an ant colony. But the minimal work of creating a flyer to include in parcels seems like enlightened self-interest to me, I can't understand why Franky wouldn't consider it. More likely it's just a matter of adding to an existing one -- surely any regular seller includes a standard note with contact details, encouragement to leave feedback, a reminder to get in touch if there's a problem rather than leaving a neg... and so on?

Criticism needs to serve a purpose. Franky, I'm not sure what your purpose is? If it's to get eBid's owners to spend money on creating a higher profile, you're onto a losing wicket -- many regulars have tried, and they seem to be very good at spending other people's money! Marketing takes a massive spend, I'm not surprised the owners haven't gone down that road, though as the site has grown they have increased their efforts (e.g. Google). You'd like to see them go head to head with eBay and have TV ads, maybe? Get real!

The problem with making sweeping criticism of the site is that it does different things for different sellers. For example I'm not making a living from it, I don't buy stock to sell. I'm content to leave items on here for months. For example I've just had an enquiry about a 3D jigsaw I've had on for months -- if it doesn't sell it'll go in the dustbin, it came from a house clearout, it doesn't owe me anything, it's in good condition and I'm just happy if it gives someone pleasure and recompenses me for the walk to post it. Clearly that's not a strategy a full-time seller can afford.

Likewise I suspect things are very different in different categories of goods. I sell on ebay and Amazon as well as ebid and there are many things I'd not consider putting on ebid. For example I recently ebay'd a greenhouse, starting at 99p and got 150 quid for it. Here I doubt I'd have got more than the 99p! Hopefully that'll improve in years to come.

But you have enough empathy to realise you'll annoy regulars by your comments, so what's your game? Got toothache at the moment, or what?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Lurker
    View lottie2005's Feedback (+177)
    All-About lottie2005
    View lottie2005's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi,
    I sell designer childrens clothes on here.I have been a member for just over 12 months.My sales are steady.My feedback is not an indication as i get lots of newbies who dont bother with feedback.Ebid is cheaper as you have to self promote.I sell on feebay and my own website too.With everything taken into consideration,fees etc i doubt there is little difference in profit between the two auction sites for me personally.On Feebay you are paying for the priviledge of a readymade customer base,which they seem to reduce with every update.Where as on Ebid you have to build your own and this is where some people fail.Ebid works well when you promte yourself which is paramount.
    Kind Regards,
    Michaela
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rhondda Cynon Taf, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    View Trinakarenmille's Feedback (+2574)
    All-About Trinakarenmille
    View Trinakarenmille's Listings
    Forum Posts

Franky.

There is a seller/poster Gothicina that does a flyer that can be downloaded, altered.

If you reads the forums on the big site, you will find that sales have taken a big downward turn for numerous sellers.
    By the time you take into account all the relist fees on top of previous fees paid to the big site,its just not as profitable to sellers as it used to be. More changes on the way.
    At least here you do not get hit with a big bill, if you have no sales.

Give it a really go here.

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Trina-Kare...igner-Auctions

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Trina-Kare...ntage-clothing

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Trina-Kare...e-Collectibles

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Trina-Kare...Vintage-Crafts

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Trina-Kare...tage-Bookstore

I too have sold and still sell on feepay but have chosen here and other venues to list some of my items that hopefully will draw others here. Here are a couple of venues that I am on if you aren't aware or them as they too offer free listing.
    http://www.plunderhere.com/auction/cgi-bin/auction
    http://onlineauction.com

I don't make a living selling as most sellers do selling my items but do offer quaility items at affordable prices.I do not and will I ever sell junk as I have seen that countless times on feepay yet it is left to go on.Yes traffic is lots slower here but by just sitting and waiting for a sale is just that waiting.To make a buck you have to earn a buck buy letting others know what you have for sale.Dropping links at other venues like I have will help some but having the will to stick it out and reap the rewards as they come makes it all worthwhile.

Continual nagging of buyers that they are not trapped on Greedbay and to think outside the box and look at alternatives, where they can often get bargains without being scammed or sniped.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Smile Yes Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    Continual nagging of buyers that they are not trapped on Greedbay and to think outside the box and look at alternatives, where they can often get bargains without being scammed or sniped.
    I haven't been a nagger just look for better things in better places.I had a loyal following of buyers many of them repeat customers also fed up with the way Feebay is and some have come here as well as other alternate sites that are available to us all. Feebay may be the monkey but others out there are gaining ground on the one falling apart from within.

yo folks,

I dont understand why people say things like 'eBid is **** I cant make a living from it'. The whole point of being here is that its a great venue for selling everything and with a greater % return. I never expected to make a living from selling on eBid and I dont know why anyone would. I think all the full time sellers on here use other venues as well. I work 35 hours a week and sell for fun and a little profit. I dont watch TV, dont have kids and I find internet buying and selling to be a hobby that fills in my down time. But even if I was to try making internet sales my main income (been thinking about it) I would still list on eBid before I listed anywhere else. But I would also continue to use amazon, green metropolis, play and (for a smaller number of items) ebay.

Just today I sold a couple of well dated memory modules. They went for a massive £1.99 plus a postage charge of 25p more than the cost to post. So not a price that is going to get me a holiday on Easter Island but if I had tried to sell this on ebay the listing fees would have probobly taken all my profit buy the time the item sold. But 3 days ago I sold a good quality laptop hard drive for £21. I have made more selling it on here and NOT taking paypal than I would have on ebay and charging a couple of quid more. I could add more to this list of sales that are best on eBid. But all sales are best on eBid!

Things tick along here quite well and I can only see trade increasing, especially with the google base thing going on. What with Google Checkout I can deffinitly see Google Base combined with the other venues it links to taking over the online selling world. It might take a year or three or five but I believe it is the future for small time sellers like myself and probobly for full timers as well. The ability to link from a base search to an item on eBid (or elsewhere) is going to be a fantastic boon for all internet sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by inversions View Post
    yo folks,

I dont understand why people say things like 'eBid is **** I cant make a living from it'. The whole point of being here is that its a great venue for selling everything...
    Ah, I was with you up to there. And I like the upbeat style of your post, I agree eBid is a great venue for many things.

But everything? OK, let's take an example I'm very conscious of right now. I have a friend who's downsizing, moving into a small flat, and over the next few weeks he has to get rid of a load of furniture, things like chests of drawers, wardrobes etc. Quite nice stuff, not too bulky and I feel sure someone would be glad of it -- it would be a sin to take the easy way out and bung it into the council tip.

He knows nothing about computers so I'll auction them for him. On eBid?? OK, that would certainly be my preference, but let's do a reality check. Search for 'wardrobe' -- it's all doll's house furniture. Now why would that be?

Risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, but IT'S ABOUT POSTAGE ISN'T IT!!!

Who in their right mind is going to bid a fiver on a wardrobe and then pay 20 quid to move it to the other end of the country? Actually I've no idea of the charge, would 20 cover it, I guess it doesn't come within Parcel Force size limits, so perhaps it's a lot more.

[Warning, cover your eyes if the dark side upsets you] Now do a search for wardrobes on eBay. There's THOUSANDS of them. Now why would that be, I wonder? Could it be anything to do with the ease of finding items that are within 5 or 10 miles of home?

Well, could it?
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Ah, I was with you up to there. And I like the upbeat style of your post, I agree eBid is a great venue for many things.

But everything? OK, let's take an example I'm very conscious of right now. I have a friend who's downsizing, moving into a small flat, and over the next few weeks he has to get rid of a load of furniture, things like chests of drawers, wardrobes etc. Quite nice stuff, not too bulky and I feel sure someone would be glad of it -- it would be a sin to take the easy way out and bung it into the council tip.

He knows nothing about computers so I'll auction them for him. On eBid?? OK, that would certainly be my preference, but let's do a reality check. Search for 'wardrobe' -- it's all doll's house furniture. Now why would that be?

Who in their right mind is going to bid a fiver on a wardrobe and then pay 20 quid to move it to the other end of the country? Actually I've no idea of the charge, would 20 cover it, I guess it doesn't come within Parcel Force size limits, so perhaps it's a lot more.

[Warning, cover your eyes if the dark side upsets you] Now do a search for wardrobes on eBay. There's THOUSANDS of them. Now why would that be, I wonder? Could it be anything to do with the ease of finding items that are within 5 or 10 miles of home?

Well, could it?
    hi , not sure if a wardrobe is the thing for a site ( any site )...would it not be easier to get your friend to go to an auction room...and the buyer has to get it home ???
    just my opinion...

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post

Well, could it?
    Hi.
    I agree it's hard to sell things like wardrobes. however it's very easy to list them so i DO list big stuff when i have it to sell. I have a fireguard listed just now and have the postage set at 'collect in person' just in case someone who lives in scotland stumbles upon the listing! So if you're not in a hurry, why not list the wardrobes, chest of drawers ( i'm looking for one of those just now!) chairs etc.. and list them in a way that will make them eligible for inclusion on google products. a buyer may find your listing- and ebid via google.

Thread Information