Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selling Handcrafted Cards

Unhappy Selling Handcrafted Cards

Hi, I have been making handcrafted greeting cards since last year. I have listed them repeatedly only to find no-one is buying cards. Plently look, and compared to shop prices, they are a bargain. Several of us have really nice and resonably priced cards for sale. Many of the cross-stitched cards take more than an evening to make. In some shops you can pay as much as £7.99, shocking when you discover that they barely show more than a topper the size of a postage stamp. So can someone enlighten me as to the reason why cards do not sell????

I don't think anybody is buying anything, I haven't sold anything yet. Even though I get regular sales of my stuff in 'the other place'.

Am i right in thinking there is no specific Crafts-->Handmade cards category? If not, maybe we could ask the boys to put one in. Maybe that would help?

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by kim69
    Am i right in thinking there is no specific Crafts-->Handmade cards category? If not, maybe we could ask the boys to put one in. Maybe that would help?
    Thanks for your response Kim and Lucy. There is a section for cards under crafts, or else in handmade items, which is where most people put their cards. Maybe people just want them at a cheaper price. I have lowered my prices a few times. At the moment I have a few as low as 25 pence, and I will not make a profit on them. But it is the only way I can think of to grab peoples attention. Hopefully as Father's Day gets closer I may well sell one or two. Even ebay is a dead loss on the card selling section. Either they are ridiculously cheap, ie: 1 pence, or else they are weir and wacky. Here's hoping someone will notice and bid!

Default Handmade Cards

Hi

I have never had any success selling handmade cards on internet. In my opinion it is because no matter how good the photo it never does them justice.

I know it isnt my cards because I have two shops who buy off me and I also sell at the odd car boot/ table top sale.

I have an online gift shop and have listed them on there but because people cannot see the quality for themselves I believe this is why they dont buy. Let them pick it up and hold it and they will buy.

I often look to see what other people are doing and am amazed at some of the low prices, I know how much time and blood and sweat and tears goes into making these and have sympathy for you.

Get together a bundle of cards and take them into work and leave them there on a cupboard top - this is how I sold most of my cards as the guys at my old showroom never had time to go to Tescos and also wanted something that looked like a bit more thought had gone into it for their wives and mothers, it also meant they would come and ask me to make cards specially.

Lot easier than spending all that time taking photos and adding listings.

Regards

Helen

Thanks for your reply Helen. I have actually sold a couple on here and a few on the other side. I was selling them at work, but have been off sick since January 12th, I am hoping to go back October 3rd, and later and I will loose my job. I work in a school and was selling to the staff. I did manage to sell five to the headteacher last week.

I have also left some at my hairdresser's. You are right, people often do like to handle cards before they buy. I made one card on commission from someone on ebay and they were thrilled. I have offered the same service here, but as yet no takers.

One of the main problems, to many people are into card making and the market is flooded with them. In the next year or so, I reckon it will die out and so maybe sales will pick up. Knitting has made a huge comeback and so a lot of people will start knitting and forget the card making. I have been knitting for years, and did not give up as it was my first hobby. I sold to family, friends and even a shop a few years back.

I have booked a craft stall in early October and will sell both knitted items and cards, so hopefully I will do better there.

Good luck with your card making.

Default Craft Stcok

Hi

I found that as so many people are in to Card Making now as you say I did better on my stalls when I also took along some card making stock such as blank cards, peel offs, decoupage sheets etc. Might be worth giving that a try on a small scale.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by sanddancer
    Thanks for your response Kim and Lucy. There is a section for cards under crafts, or else in handmade items, which is where most people put their cards. Maybe people just want them at a cheaper price. I have lowered my prices a few times. At the moment I have a few as low as 25 pence, and I will not make a profit on them. But it is the only way I can think of to grab peoples attention. Hopefully as Father's Day gets closer I may well sell one or two. Even ebay is a dead loss on the card selling section. Either they are ridiculously cheap, ie: 1 pence, or else they are weir and wacky. Here's hoping someone will notice and bid!
    Hi this is just what i have been thinking.loads of selling cards and loads looking.But no one buys.gets on my nerves why look if your not going to buy.
    I sell decoupage framed pictures-gave up on the cards.see what happens with them.In the summer in Broadstairs there are craft fairs,people sell loads of cards and some are really badly cut out and they sell them for £2.00 per card like hot cakes.
    Im going to do the same for my pictures I think.

I also make my own cards, and usually just send to family and friends, but this year I made extra and put them in my shop (just a small general corner shop!) I have had tons of people looking and saying how lovely, but sold just a few. Most people are buying them as a personal touch for a special friend or family member.
    Plus you can get a box of cards in tesco or birthdays for a fraction of the price these days.
    I'm not too bothered, because for me it is really just a hobby, I do look at some of the other handmade cards around and see that they are selling for pence - How can they do that?!

Since you ladies are talking about cards not selling what would you say to 11x14 photo's nice photos I am thinking of selling my pictures please look at my site and give me your honest evaluation do you think people would buy?

Thread Information