My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Card-making.

Default Card-making.

Hiya, i'm thinking of taking up card making as a new hobby and was wondering if anyone here did it and can tell me about it?

Is it enjoyable? Are the materials reasonably priced? Where;s the best place to buy? I have a few craft shops but they aren't very good, so i'd need a good online place that has good photos to shop!
    Oh and does everything have to be perfect? Because i'm not very good at doing things neatly

Thanks

Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    View seaemelle's Feedback (+914)
    All-About seaemelle
    View seaemelle's Listings
    Forum Posts

I make cross stitch cards myself but try out lots of different techniques with my children. We usually only buy card, aperture cards and envelopes and "recycle" just about anything, especially old wrapping paper, ribbons, buttons, lace, bows - even plain brown paper scraps can look effective with paint prints on. Every so often I'll splash out and get some glitter or foam shapes / knick knacks - usually from the "bargain bucket" when shops have a sale on or clearing out end or ranges!

I do occassionally buy craft magazines for ideas and the last one I'm sure had loads of adverts for stockists. It might be worth getting one specifically about card making and browsing some of the websites to see quite what takes your fancy. There are so many different types of cards you can make that it's hard to be more helpful unless you can be more specific about what technique your interested in and any budgetary constraints!!(usually my main problem)

I'd say definitely give it a go to see how you get on - maybe buy a ready made kit to try first if you're not sure.

Good luck!

View minkyrra's Feedback (+1752)
    All-About minkyrra
    View minkyrra's Listings
    Forum Posts

hi kim

i used to make cards, but seem to have drifted away from it since getting the kittens, they take up a lot of my spare time. i still have loads of stock, so will perhaps begin again later in the year.

are you looking to make them to sell?

i did put some up for a short time, didnt manage to get any views.

im sure there was not anything wrong with them, but perhaps listing them within the handmade cards section of crafts wasnt the right place.

people dont always know they want a handmade card until they see it, and if someone is in the craft section, they will probably be making cards themselves, not buying them.

for stock, i have bought from both auction sites, and also pick bits and pieces up wherever i see them.

what i use isnt always meant for cards, but whatever gives it the effect i want, i will use. (within reason )

as for making things perfect, if it was totally perfect...

how would anyone know its handmade?

Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    View seaemelle's Feedback (+914)
    All-About seaemelle
    View seaemelle's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is one website I've had a quick look at which may be helpful
    http://www.cardinspirations.co.uk/
    It sells supplies, has a forum and project ideas - with instructions (picture demonstration) and printable instruction too!

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Kim

Soon as I get time, I'll be adding a huge range of handmade mulberry bark papers to my listings - from 25gsm tissue to 180gsm card-stock in 60cm x 70cm sheets, including embedded petal & leaf designs and pastel shades as well as textured and smooth papers.

Also creeping into my listings already are a range of embellishments, and of course the huge range of leaf skeletons - bulk packs from me and small packs from Madelaine - sizes from 1.5" to 9" long and the biggest range anywhere on the internet for sure - Madelaine checked it out thoroughly.

Hope it'll help you
    Gaz

Thread Information