Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: What reason to delete Temp. Internet files?

Default What reason to delete Temp. Internet files?

I read in a magazine that it was OK to delete Temporary Internet files from M/S Explorer.
    But it didn't give a reason to do so.

What advantage is there to removing the files?
    (I use Windows XP Home.)

Thanks.

StartTheBiddingLow

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

Because when you are on the net your PC acts like a hoover, sucking in all the data and pictures from every web site you visit. If you didn't delete the temp files your PC would soon run out of memory.

Exclamation not so much memory problem

its not so much a memory problem in terms of hard disk space, its mare about slowing your pc down with so much junk that every time you access a web site the machine ends up looking through a huge folder full of junk to try and find the small image the page says it has.

in short if you havent done it for ages it gives your pc a tiny boost in speed getting rid of the crap

Quote Originally Posted by startthebiddinglow View Post
    I read in a magazine that it was OK to delete Temporary Internet files from M/S Explorer.
    But it didn't give a reason to do so.

What advantage is there to removing the files?
    (I use Windows XP Home.)

Thanks.

StartTheBiddingLow
    Hi I agree with our buddies here the temporary files slow everything down. There is a facility somewhere in your system tools I think if you have a fish around, to check the box which can delete your temp files and cookies automatically for you. I have mine set to delete everytime I close down so we are tickedy boo next time we fire up!
    Have fun!
    Jacqui
    Certified Organic Skin & Health Care Products www.jaorganics.com
    4 Health Supplements 2 trust
    Lie down-Relax-Feel Fantastic www.mi-chi.co.uk

Getting rid of the old files also forces your browser to download a new version of the page. This means if anything has changed since your last visit you are guaranteed to see it.

You should also bear in mind that NOT deleting the files leaves a trail on your machine which could allow other users access to what you've been viewing. If you like to keep your browsing private - for whatever reason - then you should always delete the internet cache.

This post has been added for the benefit of new viewers. I am aware that this thread is OLD.

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Getting rid of the old files also forces your browser to download a new version of the page. This means if anything has changed since your last visit you are guaranteed to see it.

You should also bear in mind that NOT deleting the files leaves a trail on your machine which could allow other users access to what you've been viewing. If you like to keep your browsing private - for whatever reason - then you should always delete the internet cache.

This post has been added for the benefit of new viewers. I am aware that this thread is OLD.
    Thanks Damian. Good advice. I was just having a fish around over the forum on a cold lonely night LOL and came across this thread.

all the best
    dreamorganics

Try this - http://www.ccleaner.com/

A simple program that removes unused and temporary files including cookies from Windows machines.

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast and contains NO Spyware or Adware.

You can also check before cleaning JUST how many tracking cookies have been placed on your computer and which ones to keep via Options/Cookies. It really does clean out a lot of rubbish and free up space on the hard drive.

HTH. Ann

Quote Originally Posted by bittymatriarch View Post
    Try this - http://www.ccleaner.com/

A simple program that removes unused and temporary files including cookies from Windows machines.

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast and contains NO Spyware or Adware.

You can also check before cleaning JUST how many tracking cookies have been placed on your computer and which ones to keep via Options/Cookies. It really does clean out a lot of rubbish and free up space on the hard drive.

HTH. Ann
    ccleaner is very good, easy to use

Thread Information