eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: eBid reported in eBuyer magazine in UK

View jongla's Feedback (+52)
    All-About jongla
    View jongla's Listings
    Forum Posts

Post eBid reported in eBuyer magazine in UK

This magazine, although supposed to be about all auction sites in the world, tend to be very biased about eBay - around 90% of magazine dedicated to them. However, they did mention eBid briefly...

"eBid - (http://uk.three.ebid.tv)
    Relatively new, but eBid has clearly learned from the master, while picking up a few tricks of its own. With great gimmicks like an LCD countdown to closing bids, its own payment gateway in the Paypal mold, and the promise of zero commision to sellers (at a time when eBay is cranking up its fees), this could be a serious contender if more peopleknew about it.

Verdict - obviously much smaller than eBay, but definately one to watch. (5/5)"

Out of QXL, Amazon and eBid, it was eBid that came out tops. Just a shame that this was one paragraph in a magazine other wise dedicated to eBay.....

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by cybertrax
    This magazine, although supposed to be about all auction sites in the world, tend to be very biased about eBay - around 90% of magazine dedicated to them. However, they did mention eBid briefly...

Just a shame that this was one paragraph in a magazine other wise dedicated to eBay.....
    This is just so typical of what you see in any magazine or newspaper article when they do an article on this type of site. Always the articles give in depth information about how to do this that and everything on ebay and then briefly mention that other auction sites do exist. I cannot remember ever seeing an article that actually went in depth in to the pros and cons of each site. For example Ebay pros:massive user base Cons: fees are becoming high
    Ebid:smaller user base but heading there pros: no, or very low fees.

You got to remeber that a lot of people now already know about ebay anyway so it is useless of a magazine reporting what we already know. A lot of friends that I had 5 years ago hadn't heard of ebay before and wouldn't even consider taking a look at the site but now everyone knows about the site but regrettabley they have not yet heard of ebid

On the brighter side there is only a limited time that a company can be a monopolist before the competition starts to flood in. Look at what happend to companies like BT vs NTL, Hoover vs dyson, britsh gas etc.

Forum Diehard
    View tonymaclennan's Feedback (+23)
    All-About tonymaclennan
    View tonymaclennan's Listings
    Forum Posts

Im getting quite sick of magazines with articles and guids about eBay. They are in alsorts of magaznes, computer, console, car ect.
    QXL were the feature (2 pages) of a computer magazine last week, I think they should talk about other auction sites like eBid more often. However, I think if eBid grow to much they will place fees on listing.

I am getting tired of hearing about ebay in the news does any one ever ask if there is an altrernative to ebay? I think soon there will be huge price increases to recover their costs of advertisments.

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

Which page is it on???? I got a copy today, and I can't find eBid in it

All-About jongla
    View jongla's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcraft
    Which page is it on???? I got a copy today, and I can't find eBid in it

eBuyer
    April 2005 issue
    Page 31

Default eBid in eBuyer & Online Seller

Hi there

I'm the editor of eBuyer & Online Seller, and you'll be glad to know there's a 4-page feature on eBid coming up in the next issue of the mag - issue 75, on sale 9 June 2005.

I think saying that 90 per cent of the mag features eBay is a tad unfair - I'd put it at about 60 percent. We *are* trying to feature as many different auction sites as possible - but there will always be stuff on eBay, as that's where the millions of people are. Hopefully some viable alternatives, such as eBid, will take the fight to eBay, which will be good news both for my mag and for the general auction user.

Thanks!

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by auctioneditor
    Hi there

I'm the editor of eBuyer & Online Seller, and you'll be glad to know there's a 4-page feature on eBid coming up in the next issue of the mag - issue 75, on sale 9 June 2005.

I think saying that 90 per cent of the mag features eBay is a tad unfair - I'd put it at about 60 percent. We *are* trying to feature as many different auction sites as possible - but there will always be stuff on eBay, as that's where the millions of people are. Hopefully some viable alternatives, such as eBid, will take the fight to eBay, which will be good news both for my mag and for the general auction user.

Thanks!
    Hi there! I want to thank you for the upcoming eBid feature, really looking forward to it

Welcome to eBid and the forums

All-About jongla
    View jongla's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcraft
    Hi there! I want to thank you for the upcoming eBid feature, really looking forward to it

Welcome to eBid and the forums

Seconded.....nice to know there is a face behind the mags. And apologies about the percentages.....

Thread Information