My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiscali Broadband On 2 Comps At Same Time

Sorry to those who were in dialogue with me when I vanished; business keeps me occuppied all hours at the moment.

Quickly popped in & found this thread. Had to make one comment:

If your broadband provider tells you that you have to buy expensive equipment from them, remember that they have only one reason for doing so: MONEY. They either want to charge you for the extra connections, or sell you more hardware. It is never necessary. Check the other threads in this forum for some information, then hit Google. Sharing your broadband (regardless of how it arrives at your house) is always possible, without spending a fortune on more kit. Do your research before parting with your money. If your provider tells you that you need a WidgetLabs 501x wireless router firewall sharer dingle dooble-poo.... ask for a quote, make a note of the make and model, then look online for prices. You'll be amazed at how much the ISPs will mark them up. Then look around for alternatives. Grab one of the PC magazines and have a browse. Do your research.

Have fun!
    DISCLAIMER:
    The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the author, or his family, internet service
    provider, mobile phone operator, bank, milk supplier, television channel, favourite movie or religion.
    I don't know where they come from.
    It scares me sometimes.

I think my problem is with it being on cable broadband - everybody you ask knows nothing about how to do it, they all just concentrate on standard broadband connections :-(

Forum Diehard
    View tonymaclennan's Feedback (+23)
    All-About tonymaclennan
    View tonymaclennan's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andrew99boats
    Try using Bt 2100 network kit you can buy it now on ebid for £54.99 now from me......cheers ....andrew99
    I wont be needing it now. I started thread: 7th February, so as you can see, a long time ago

Thanks for all you help anyway.

View jongla's Feedback (+52)
    All-About jongla
    View jongla's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MadcatwomanEnterprises
    I think my problem is with it being on cable broadband - everybody you ask knows nothing about how to do it, they all just concentrate on standard broadband connections :-(
    It shouldnt matter whether on cable, satelite or normal broadband - sharing should still be easy to do. My old cable modem had facilities for both USB and eithernet connection; it is important to use ethernet. I just connected that to a router, and then connected other computers to the router. The router treats the cable modem like another computer.

Getting a router makes setting up a network so much easier, I would strongly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by MadcatwomanEnterprises
    Hiya

If all puters are running a recent edition of Windoze, http://support.microsoft.com/default...netsharing.asp may be helpful.

I'm with NTL, running on a cable modem. I got set up with a minimum of fuss and no expensive hardware - but I'm a Linux addict, so quoting my experience won't help much. I run a seven-PC network (depending on which laptops are around) with no problems, and NTL don't even KNOW that there is more than one PC sharing the connection.

It's VERY easy to be bamboozled in this arena. Ask yourself, whenever anybody gives you advice, what they stand to gain from it. Are they trying to convince you that you NEED a £250 bit of kit in order to sell it to you? If so, walk away, and ask somebody else.

Good luck!

Ken.
    DISCLAIMER:
    The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the author, or his family, internet service
    provider, mobile phone operator, bank, milk supplier, television channel, favourite movie or religion.
    I don't know where they come from.
    It scares me sometimes.

i have a netgear card for sale to lol

Thread Information