Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiscali Broadband On 2 Comps At Same Time

Forum Diehard
    View tonymaclennan's Feedback (+23)
    All-About tonymaclennan
    View tonymaclennan's Listings
    Forum Posts

Lightbulb Tiscali Broadband On 2 Comps At Same Time

I ave Tiscali broadband. I have a Laptop and PC that are near each other. I wish to have the Broadband on both computers at the same time.
    The PC has a network card and I am buying a USB Network card for my Laptop. Tiscali are providing us with a free broadband modem.

I am aware a router is needed but dont know what sort to buy and what would be suitable.
    I am on a low budget.

Can somebody advise me please.
    ???

Forum Diehard
    View tonymaclennan's Feedback (+23)
    All-About tonymaclennan
    View tonymaclennan's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was after something cheaper.
    As the comps will be so close then a wired network would be suitable.

You see, I have been told that I will need a router with a built in modem but I will be a free modem from Tiscali. Assume both comps have network cards so I am not sure what router to get.

Thanks for the help. If you have any more links I will find useful then they would be appreciated. I have looked around the web but cant seem to find a decent explanation that will help.

Why can't you simply share the connection via networking?

Hiya Tony

I did reply to this thread when I first saw it, but for some reason my reply ain't here any more! Perhaps I said something naughty?

Anyway, it went something like this:

First off, a router is not needed. Sure, they are useful, especially when combined with ADSL modems and abit of firewall functionality, but they are by no means necessary. In fact, for a two-PC network (especially where one of the is only part-time connected anyhow), a router would be extreme (and expensive) overkill.The simplest (and cheapest) solution is simply to network the two computers, and share the internet connection. This can be a bit less simple that it sounds, especially if the ADSL modem needs an ethernet port to connect to (an extra port would then be needed, or a simple hub), but it is really all you need to do. If for some reason you cannot share the connection (I've heard that some ISP's make this very difficult), you can circumvent that with a simple (freeware) software proxy server.

For the networking itself, if there are only two PCs involved and the distance is negligable, a simple TCP crossover cable should comfortably do the job. Nip into your nearest Maplin, you should be able to pick one for for a couple of quid.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if I can help.
    DISCLAIMER:
    The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the author, or his family, internet service
    provider, mobile phone operator, bank, milk supplier, television channel, favourite movie or religion.
    I don't know where they come from.
    It scares me sometimes.

Exclamation KenPem is right

you dont NEED a router, if money is that tight use a crossover cable and a network card in each machine, BUT do put zone alarm (free download) on each PC and a good anti virus programme on each machine (I find the free ones are not robust but are better than nothing) and turn on the firewall in XP

kenpem has basically outlined the network setup in previous posts

hope that helps

I agree a cross over cable to link your laptop and pc.
    Second option i'ld go for a switch/network hub.
    But you need to think ahead of future needs, such as adding more pc's to your network.
    We have personally just changed ours to a wireless router. To support our two laptops, which we can take them anywhere in the house with us.
    If needed we can provide you with the things you need, any advice please email?
    We have a secondhand/as new switch you can have?

Claire and Shaun

Interesting thread.

My friend has tiscali & has 2 computers (in one room). He wanted both to access the net but Tiscali told him he couldn't link the two with their system - not without buying more of their equipment.

I thought he could simply buy another network card & xover cable.
    Nowt here so don't bother looking

SEARCHING for ET

I have Telewest, got told I needed the full kit and kaboodle costing over £100 to link my broadband on the downstairs PC to the kids PC upstairs (which they only use once a blue moon anyway). Couldn't afford it, so have to beat the kids off the PC with a big stick so I can get on and do some work :-(

Default reply to person with network problems

Try using Bt 2100 network kit you can buy it now on ebid for £54.99 now from me......cheers ....andrew99

Thread Information