My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Fonts still too small

Default Fonts still too small

I've said it before (many times) and I'll say it again - the fonts on the site are too small. When you go into a category and look at all the auctions down the page, it's much harder to read them than it is on 'the other site'. Is this ever going to be fixed? The fonts don't respond to Internet Explorer's 'View - Text Size' command.

View Gen696's Feedback (+537)
    All-About Gen696
    View Gen696's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi,

If the fonts are too small or BIG for me on any site...
    I just hold down 'CTRL' and use my mouse scroll ball to make then the right size!

Hope this helps, but only if you have a rollerball mouse!

Gen696

The problem is with the code "class=blackmedium" - this is the CSS code for the font that is used for auction titles, which is:

.blackmedium {FONT-SIZE: 11px; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; TEXT-DECORATION: none}

This sets the size to an absolute value (11px) and there's nothing the viewer can do to change this, by adjusting the 'View - Text Size' value in Internet Explorer.

There is a simple answer to this problem, here:

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/typography/

and because Ebid wisely uses CSS, they need only change the style sheet once, and then every page that refers to it (which I presume is all the Ebid auction pages) will automatically be fixed!

The template is here:

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tut.../template.html

Is there any chance of fixing this guys? It would massively increase the appeal of the site.

(You could also pretty easily include a colour choice for users, they could select from any of 10 (or whatever) different looks, and a different CSS would be used.)

You can alter your auctions. Do your html like this:

<BIG>

your auction details
    your auction details
    your auction details
    your auction details

</BIG>

Yes, I guessed you'd already considered this Donkeyote, but it's one for the beginners, eh? :-)

Doesn't change the home page of course, but makes your stuff better.
    Last edited by startthebiddinglow; 5th February 2005 at 11:24 PM. Reason: clarification

I wasn't talking about my own auctions, I'm talking about the general use of fonts by Ebid, all over the site, especially in the listings of auctions, they are too small, and should be changed so that users can choose (from Internet Explorer) what size they want. I explained why users can't change them above - the CSS code should be changed.

As an example, the fonts on the left hand side of the screen where the categories are listed is too small, the number of auctions is almost illegible on my screen (1280 x 1024 19"). When you click on a category, for example 'Computing', it's not then immediately clear where to look for the subcategories (for newcomers, at least), and even then they are then tiny.

Where it says "Browse Ebid" and then 'Computing' underneath, 'Computing' is big enough, but all the subcategories are tiny.

On a side note, the listing screens are even clearer than they were before, and far less irritating to go through than Ebay's. I like the way each part of the listing process has a clear explanation to the right of it, something Ebay will never offer. (They are turning into the dinosaurs of the auction world, they never listen to their customers and simply refuse to implement any changes. Ebid can beat them because Ebid actually listen to their customers and implement changes wherever possible. Ebay would rather lose customers than admit their site isn't already perfect!)

Thread Information