My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Postage and handling fees compulsory

Default Postage and handling fees compulsory

I think the new ebid should make postage and handling fees a compulsory field when seller list their auctions. I think it is misleading to allow sellers to hide their costs from buyers (Very secretive sellers). Lets face it, sellers are going to have to find out what the costs are anyway at the end of the auction so it always irritates me when they state on the auction that they do not know the postal charge untill they go to the post office. I think it will be a step to better online trading to ebay as they still allow sellers to not disclose their postage charges during the auction despite the amount of posts on the other side's forums about the amount of ripped off buyers.

Smile

I agree. I have been put off from bidding on auctions when no postage charge is stated, as they can add a ridiculous amount to the fee if they want.

yes I agree , this is one of my pet hates the other one is sellers who don't send an end of auction email.....makes me feel like if they can't be bothered to contact me why should I be bothered to pay I find this site is quite bad for sellers not contacting buyers

I hate it when you enquire about the postage cost before the end of the auction and they don't respond or they say they will find out in a few days time then they just go "dead"

Quote Originally Posted by fivebyfive
    yes I agree , this is one of my pet hates the other one is sellers who don't send an end of auction email.....makes me feel like if they can't be bothered to contact me why should I be bothered to pay I find this site is quite bad for sellers not contacting buyers
    Usually if sellers don't get the price they wished for, they hope that the buyer will forget to pay. One time on the other side I won an item at the starting bid, kept sending an invioce request for the total no response from seller. Must have sent it 5 times but no use. In the end I just negged them telling them to use reserve next time.

I don't always weigh items - I just guess.

Sometimes I'm not so sure so I just put "Postage at Royal Mail cost".
    That way buyers can rest assured that even if they get a nasty surprise, I'm not stiffing them.

So I think your suggestion is good as long as there is a 'P&P at cost' box to tick.

Quote Originally Posted by startthebiddinglow
    I don't always weigh items - I just guess.

Sometimes I'm not so sure so I just put "Postage at Royal Mail cost".
    That way buyers can rest assured that even if they get a nasty surprise, I'm not stiffing them.

So I think your suggestion is good as long as there is a 'P&P at cost' box to tick.
    I use digital scales , they were pretty cheap and it means I can weigh my items as I am listing.....when I want to buy something I much prefer to have the p+p up front

If sellers don't list the postage then they will only get asked what this charge will be.

Furthermore to my suggestion, if a seller does not enter any value in the field for postage the it will automtically go down in the auction as "postage Free"

Quote Originally Posted by This_year
    Furthermore to my suggestion, if a seller does not enter any value in the field for postage the it will automtically go down in the auction as "postage Free"
    Perhaps I have misread your post, but I detect a harshness in the tone.
    Have you been stung by a seller, This_year?

Thread Information