eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bank help please

View shelleywelley's Feedback (+391)
    All-About shelleywelley
    View shelleywelley's Listings
    Forum Posts

Angry Bank help please

OK this is a bit weird and long winded but here goes, just had a phone call from one of my eb*y buyers to say I am now the subject of a fraud investigation.

Just before Christmas I sold an item over there and the total came to £2.49 they sent me a cheque which my OH banked is his account, on which I am named.

Now this buyer has phoned me to say they have taken £249.00 out of her account and her bank has started a fraud enquiry and is pulling the cheque back to see who is at fault.

Now. I know the cheque wasn't altered by us, so I have no worries on that score, all we did was bank the cheque, but where do I stand with the bank? It was obviously their mistake but how the hell wasn't it spotted? How could they take the money out of her account?

View minkyrra's Feedback (+1752)
    All-About minkyrra
    View minkyrra's Listings
    Forum Posts

just sounds like someone keyed the info wrong, how much money has appeared in your account shelley?

All-About minkyrra
    View minkyrra's Listings
    Forum Posts

oh.... also do you have the original receipt for it?

they should have the cheque at the bank, and as long as it hasnt been altered, it will be obvious that its a keying error at the bank

once it is sorted, try to seek compensation for the trouble it has caused you

(ex building society worker who no longer feels any loyalty to the banking industry)

All-About shelleywelley
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minkyrra
    just sounds like someone keyed the info wrong, how much money has appeared in your account shelley?
    I haven't got the PIN number so I can't check, will have to wait until OH gets home, but its frightening that soemthing like this can happen so easily.

All-About shelleywelley
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minkyrra
    oh.... also do you have the original receipt for it?

they should have the cheque at the bank, and as long as it hasnt been altered, it will be obvious that its a keying error at the bank

once it is sorted, try to seek compensation for the trouble it has caused you

(ex building society worker who no longer feels any loyalty for the banking industry)
    rofl thanks Mink

we should have the original receipt will have to check, btw the bank in question was actually the Halifax

well HER bank should have noticed this as the cheque will show the correct amount, and the clerk at your bank will get a right slap for being an ass in entering the wrong amount into the puter thingy in the first place when the cheque says something else.

I had similar in that I wrote a cheque to my vet and it bounced ... I was gobsmaked cos I had money in the account but then I noticed the account was one in just DH's name and not our joint account. turns out I had written a cheque from HIS account and signed it meself pmsl.

I didnt notice this error, nor did the vet and NOR DID THE BANK when they presented it for clearing!! FFS how could they allow someone to bank a cheque in the name of MR FRED BLOGGS that is clearly signed JESSICA RABBIT lol

(well, obviously those arent our names .... and no I dont have her type of build you pervy fellas out there )

Just shows that banks are so thick nowadays and rely on what is entered into a puter MORE than the actual paperwork itself.

DId you by any chance get a receipt when you paid the cheque into the account? Or fill in a deposit slip that shows the correct amount banked by you?

Hope its cleared up soon and the banks get a good kickin.

Vik xxx

pmsl just noticed you are with the halifax .... ROFL says it all cos that who I am with and who cocked up our cheque

Vik xxx

All-About minkyrra
    View minkyrra's Listings
    Forum Posts

it may not be the cashier, it might be further down the line that the error happened, you will know once you have looked at your receipt

remember to include in your letter of complaint...

emotional distress caused
    cost of time sorting it out
    loss of reputation
    petrol money to and from the bank
    cost of nail polish chipped as you searched the net for advice

*laughs*

hope it gets sorted shelley

let me know

All-About minkyrra
    View minkyrra's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrscheeks
    well HER bank should have noticed this as the cheque will show the correct amount, and the clerk at your bank will get a right slap for being an ass in entering the wrong amount into the puter thingy in the first place when the cheque says something else.

I had similar in that I wrote a cheque to my vet and it bounced ... I was gobsmaked cos I had money in the account but then I noticed the account was one in just DH's name and not our joint account. turns out I had written a cheque from HIS account and signed it meself pmsl.

I didnt notice this error, nor did the vet and NOR DID THE BANK when they presented it for clearing!! FFS how could they allow someone to bank a cheque in the name of MR FRED BLOGGS that is clearly signed JESSICA RABBIT lol

(well, obviously those arent our names .... and no I dont have her type of build you pervy fellas out there )

Just shows that banks are so thick nowadays and rely on what is entered into a puter MORE than the actual paperwork itself.

DId you by any chance get a receipt when you paid the cheque into the account? Or fill in a deposit slip that shows the correct amount banked by you?

Hope its cleared up soon and the banks get a good kickin.

Vik xxx
    well... as far as your sig goes, im not surprised.

half the sigs are illegible, also if you are called fred flintstone but like to sign so it reads as barny rubble.... its up to you, its still your signature.

also.... do you really believe that someone sits and checks the signature on every single cheque that goes through the banking system?

well.. it certainly would create more jobs, but it would take a lot longer for cheques to clear, charges would go up and interest down.

Last edited by minkyrra; 6th January 2005 at 12:29 PM.

And to think I switched from Barclays to Halifax last year as my bf said they were great!

Thread Information