Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Does anyone know about... SYLVAC ???

Default Does anyone know about... SYLVAC ???

I have a SylvaC dog... #114. He's fawn. I would really like some info on him but can't find him on the web.... HELP!

I'd like to know his approx value - he's perfect - no chips, etc.
    I have had him as long as I can remember - even as a toddler in the 1970s.

Can someone post / PM me some links please if you find his twin! Thanks.

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Does anyone know about... SYLVAC ???

SylvacC
    The factory was founded in 1894, and moved around a bit, The Sylvan works ceased trading in 1982 and all the records relating to styles and dates of production etc, were destroyed.Following the voluntary liquidation .
    The premises and equipment have been used since by, Longton Ceramics.,Crown Windsor,and are now owned by Portmeirion Potteries Ltd who began to operate from there from 1991. Every piece of SylvaC stock was sold off.
    As for your doggie, Over two hundred dog figures were produced and nearly every breed was represented in one form or another. The terriers proved to be the most sought after. One of the most elusive of all is what is known as 'Mac' Dogs. Produced in five sizes by Otakar Steinburger .(Remember the toothace dog? queer looking piece.)
    Yours could fetch, depending on the market at the time say £70-£80.Tops, but as you know, on the trading day it could only realise half of that figure.If you're looking for money, I'd put a reserve on, then it will live to fight another day if not reached.
    Americans tend to sell HIGH.
    There are still models that haven't been recorded ,and these are avidly sought by collectors. If you have a colourway or a unique piece of SylvaC, it could be worth a small fortune. But there are Fakes and repos out there since 1997.
    beware

Good luck

Hello Honey... thanks for your help...
    I would say that my dog is genuine as I've had him all my life and remember him as a toddler in the 70s. I think he was around in the family before that...

Quote Originally Posted by morticia1977 View Post
    Hello Honey... thanks for your help...
    I would say that my dog is genuine as I've had him all my life and remember him as a toddler in the 70s. I think he was around in the family before that...
    Hello there,
    There is a Sylvac collectors club, the website is http://www.sylvacclub.com/
    they should be able to help.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry, what did you say? (I was too busy looking at your avatar).

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thehoneyant View Post
    SylvacC
    The factory was founded in 1894, and moved around a bit, The Sylvan works ceased trading in 1982 and all the records relating to styles and dates of production etc, were destroyed.Following the voluntary liquidation .
    The premises and equipment have been used since by, Longton Ceramics.,Crown Windsor,and are now owned by Portmeirion Potteries Ltd who began to operate from there from 1991. Every piece of SylvaC stock was sold off.
    As for your doggie, Over two hundred dog figures were produced and nearly every breed was represented in one form or another. The terriers proved to be the most sought after. One of the most elusive of all is what is known as 'Mac' Dogs. Produced in five sizes by Otakar Steinburger .(Remember the toothace dog? queer looking piece.)
    Yours could fetch, depending on the market at the time say £70-£80.Tops, but as you know, on the trading day it could only realise half of that figure.If you're looking for money, I'd put a reserve on, then it will live to fight another day if not reached.
    Americans tend to sell HIGH.
    There are still models that haven't been recorded ,and these are avidly sought by collectors. If you have a colourway or a unique piece of SylvaC, it could be worth a small fortune. But there are Fakes and repos out there since 1997.
    beware

Good luck
    Wow, you're good! You should work for Antiques Roadshow.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Another resurrected thread from September 2003 - 9 years old

Forum Newbie
    All-About NikkyNaks
    View NikkyNaks's Listings
    Forum Posts

How prices have changed, although to suggest it was worth £70+ 10 years ago was way off.

Not a rare item and fawn is the most common colour. If you are at a boot you may get £7 or £8 for it, online auction around £10- £12 if lucky and antiques fair around £18 - £20.

Thread Information