My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: My Packard Bell PB9450

Default My Packard Bell PB9450

Hi peeps, does anyone in the know.....know what size of HDD I can go up to in my PC?

I reckon it could be a max of 32GB but unsure.

And if the query is answered and you know anyone selling the right size HDD, let me know.

Default Re: My Packard Bell PB9450

HDD's aren't limited by a computer's spec... You can put a 120Gb harddrive into an old 286... The only thing is, depending on your OS, you'll have to partition it to get it to recognise the HDD capacity...

Your computer has this MOBO so it is fairly new so, I don't see a problem with the size of the HDD, but an issue with your OS...

Default Re: My Packard Bell PB9450

Whether your PC can take the bigger drives is entirely down to your BIOS supporting them, and so you're right to think it could be limited to the 32Gb. If this is the case try flashing your bios with the latest version off www.packardbell.co.uk (not one the friendliest sites to nav through) and try again, the hard drive manufacturers website will also probably have a few bits of info if theres been any reported problems with your BIOS.

OS shouldn't be a problem unless you run Windows 95 to 98SE as FDisk has a problem calculating drive sizes over 64Gb properly, but there is a fix available to sort it on Win98/98SE.

In the worst case though you might have to fit a PCI controller card with it's own BIOS that'll work with the drive, www.overclockers.co.uk sell a Maxtor 80Gb retail pack (drive + ATA133 controller, cables and install disks) for £76 inc VAT, £12 more than the bare drive that will sort it, and let the new drive run at full speeds since your onboard IDE controller is probably an older ATA 33 or 66

Thread Information