eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Closing auctions early

Default Re: Closing auctions early

Quote Originally Posted by partiboy
    Why would a seller want to close an auction even if they have a satisfactory price for the item? They may get more if they let it run, especially if auction sniping software works with ebid.
    I have an example of a genuine reason for closing an auction early. On the 'other side' I was offering a Louis Voitton wallet for sale. It had 22 bids with three days left to run when I found out that it was a fake. Rather than attract trouble I decided to cancel all bids and then delete the auction.

No FB either way.

PartiBoy
    Hi Partiboy,

Exactly, if you were able to delete the auction completely (which you did) then there would be no problem, you cant do that on ebid at the moment!

If you read down my post this is what I was suggesting.

Sorry Peeps and apologies Gary!

But why are we worrying about closing auctions early when most of us are not receiving any bids on items anyway.

Example 1: I had a TV on here which no-one bid on, that got relisted and relisted and...........

I thought right enough is enough and tested it on Ebay, SOLD within 3 days for £70 more than I thought I would get, £170 !!

Shouldn't we be putting our heads together and getting some ideas on how to get buyers on here and keep them here?

Hows about all sellers pay £1 each and this pays for one days advertising in a national newspaper, as like a test to see if a load of peeps join. Or Gary, if your an astute businessman, go to the companies that are advertising on here and see if one or more of them would stump up the cash for one days advertising, on a like Ebid.co.uk sponsored by (whomever) or supported by (whomever) or pleased to be associated with (whomever).

You never know, they can only say 'no' !!

I used to use the "Close early" feature a lot on Yahoo when I'd had a bid that was at a satisfactory level for me so I would like to see this feature.

Equally, it could be used to close your auction without a bid if you knew you were going to be away at the time the auction was due to finish (as I found out this summer).

Additionally, it would be nice to have it so that you could close early for the above reason and then relist at a later date without completely rewriting the auction - since all you can do at the moment is update or delete...

I recently deleted aprox 8 of my sales REASON = They where duplicates that i had accidently listed, some times its confusing when the items ends and you relist and so when i looked through my sales i noticed there was more on there than i had in my house ... Basicaly, it was an error. So if this is the type of thing you are refering to thenim GUILTY as charged and will be much more careful in future.

If its to do with ... maybe a person emails you and says ill pay you four times what thats on for and you know your not going to get anything like that on an auction surely youd be nuts not to remove it ? So long as not contraviening ( excuse spellings ) any ebid laws/rules ? EXAPMLE: I listed a bottle of perfume the other day, a neighbour came in for a while, whilst i was checking listings and said ill give you X ammount of money for that right now, so i deleted it and took the money off her, almost double what i had it on auction for.

So if this is NOT ALLOWED - rest assured i shall be more careful, HOWEVER it will also make me less likely to list so many things if im not able to take them off as and when i see fit, if i get a better offer etc. Obviously once an item has been bid on,TOUGH LUCK you take what you can get cus the buyer must then be your priority not what you wanted for it or where offered for it elsewhere.

Elaine xx

Gildersome, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View pesky33's Feedback (+2325)
    All-About pesky33
    View pesky33's Listings
    Forum Posts

i'd like to be able to close the item early if i had decided not to sell it but it still had a bid, just in case i realised it was broken or something (or a fake as partiboy said)
    i'd sometimes like to close items early if i had someone who had bid on, say, 5 items and 4 finished 1 day and 1 finished the next, i'd like to be able to finish the fifth one to make it easier for the buyer.

if you did decide to add a close auction early, then i reckon a 2 hour period where the buyers and watchers are emailed is a great idea

Speaking as a buyer, I am more concerned with the nice guys who give no hint of a reserve price. I bid, think I've won, only to find item not won as did not reach reserve. This has happened to me 3 times on Espit. Complaints got me nowhere. Espit virtually said Sellers can remove Auction if they wish.

View ideal's Feedback (+4507)
    All-About ideal
    View ideal's Listings
    Forum Posts

would like the option to close a bidded on auction early as someone mentioned surprise domestic circumstances can always pop up, and this would enable a fast clearing with no one left hanging around. I know around last Christmas on the other side when I was rushed into hospital with an almost fatal heart attack my hubby was beside himself with worry concerning me, and it helped when he could close ALL auctions not having some hanging over him giving him something else to have to remember to sort out later.

Sometimes I also would like as a curtsey to close an auction early, if a bidder has won a couple of other items and is waiting out the time for one further down to end.

It would also help to be able to just close auctions early and not delete them if people are going on holiday or away for some reason, recently I was left with a choice of killing all my auctions dead and re-listing from scratch on my return, or slapping riders all over them ~ removing the riders on my return. Would have been far easier to just close them and set them off again a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by ask4bluestratos

It would also help to be able to just close auctions early and not delete them if people are going on holiday or away for some reason, recently I was left with a choice of killing all my auctions dead and re-listing from scratch on my return, or slapping riders all over them ~ removing the riders on my return. Would have been far easier to just close them and set them off again a week later.
    I agree that's what I like about yahoo auctions being able to close auctions early should a holiday or something else come up, as starting again from scratch is so much hassle and time wasting. I can understand about not closing and auction early if it has bids due to any fraud etc. so eBid is aware of it in their database etc.

But allowing this option of early close would be quite important to most of us here.

View ideal's Feedback (+4507)
    All-About ideal
    View ideal's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes.. it would be very helpful to put auctions on "hold" as it were..

I still believe though that closing an auction early if there has been one bid would also be helpful.. but can see that the facility could be abused by those whos intentions are not above board if more than one bid was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by highlandtrading

Shouldn't we be putting our heads together and getting some ideas on how to get buyers on here and keep them here?

Hows about all sellers pay £1 each and this pays for one days advertising in a national newspaper, as like a test to see if a load of peeps join. Or Gary, if your an astute businessman, go to the companies that are advertising on here and see if one or more of them would stump up the cash for one days advertising, on a like Ebid.co.uk sponsored by (whomever) or supported by (whomever) or pleased to be associated with (whomever).

You never know, they can only say 'no' !!
    Why would any company that advertise on ebid pay for advertising in a National newspaper for a company other than themselves? Does'nt really make sense.

Do you know how much it costs to advertise in for example the Sunday Telegraph? A 1 page advert costs around £80,000. So X company would pay £80,000 to advertise ebid in the hope that readers check out the site and click on compay X's banners.

Dont think it matters how astute a businessman you are, you'll never be able to convince anyone to do that.

Cheers,
    PH

Thread Information