Thread: Closing auctions early

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Closing auctions early

Quote Originally Posted by michelle19760
    g

that was more or less what i said, i think or it was meant to be like that anyway
    Thanks Michelle

G
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

I am happy with the way things are at the moment.

On the other side I ended auctions early if someone wanted to buy it quicker than I had put it up for and for the right price. I would only allow this if there was no other bidders on the auction... then I would close the auction, relisting it as a buy it now auction only.
    I don't think it is a good idea to end auctions immediately..but if there could be an option to change times on auctions with bids, but no changes within 24 hours to close of Auction? because sometimes I used to put items up for ten days thinking that they won't have any interest but they exceed expectations.

There could be good reason for a seller to close the auction early, albeit that there is a buy it now price, such as a need to complete the transaction earlier than previously expected due to circumstances. And it could be a pleasant surprise for a bidder (unless they wanted to keep their chance to retract the bid before auction end).

I think there are obvious good and bad points to allowing to end an auction early.

Right now I may just need to end all my auctions, and quickly if I manage to sell my items elsewhere. Currently the only way to do that is to mail support.

When I first came to ebid I thought it was a good idea; not allowing the auction to end...but still at the end of the day, if the seller does not want to sell, or cant, then he/she will not...thats happened to me once already on ebid - the item was broke...so the seller couldnt sell it to me.

So thinking about it, the buyer is in a loose-loose situation whichever way you look at it...so it doesnt really matter if you include it or not...though it may make your life a little easier IE by saving you some time if someone does have a genuine reason to end an auction early.

What a great moral boosting thread this is! its good to see you engaging in discussion with us..i'm sure you have more than enough opinions now on the subject to weigh up the pro's and con's of the idea.

Lawrence.
    Relive those Commodore Amiga days here! The AMIGA lives ON! Contact me by AIM, YM, MSN, PM, EMAIL or by phone (on request!)

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hmmmm......

I think if you were to have an option of closing early (FOR A GOOD REASON - ie: broken item, etc) then you MUST remove the option to leave FB and be covered by that.

Having said that, this could still be abused.

Tricky one this.

How about if you could still have the option of COMPLETELY DELETING the auction, as you can with items that have no bids? Then there is no link or auction to refer to, the highest bidder AND seller cannot leave FB, NO END OF AUCTION emails FROM EBID are exchanged with details, the seller is making that auction NULL AND VOID.....?

Does that make sense and sound OK?

:shock:

I agree with you RainBow

I think I am right in saying that on the 'other side', if you want to end an auction early you have two options.

1. Delete the auction. The person with the highest bid if there is one, wins the auction. FB possible as usual.

2. Deleting all bids and then deleting the auction. No FB either way possible as no-one won the auction.

PartiBoy

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcraft
    Hmmmm......

I think if you were to have an option of closing early (FOR A GOOD REASON - ie: broken item, etc) then you MUST remove the option to leave FB and be covered by that.

Tricky one this.

How about if you could still have the option of COMPLETELY DELETING the auction, as you can with items that have no bids? Then there is no link or auction to refer to, the highest bidder AND seller cannot leave FB, NO END OF AUCTION emails FROM EBID are exchanged with details, the seller is making that auction NULL AND VOID.....?

Sounds like the best idea so far, can't see why peeps would need to end auctions early on Ebid for anything but genuine reasons, so it would be handy for that reason..... I can see how sellers could use it to their advantage on Ebay by contacting the seller privately, to try to get out of paying final value fees, but as their aren't any on here, I can't see that anyone would use it for anything other than genuine reasons, especially with the safeguard of COMPLETELY DELETING, as Rainbow suggested. Plus, if things are going to be busier on Ebid, there will be a stage when it might be difficult for G&M to quickly remove an auction, as they will undoubtedly end up busier with other ebid related business, so it would cut down thier workload a little too

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcraft
    Hmmmm......

Tricky one this.

I think Rainbow's hit it on the head.

Why would a seller want to close an auction even if they have a satisfactory price for the item? They may get more if they let it run, especially if auction sniping software works with ebid.

Without wanting to sound like I continually harp back to my time on another UK auction site, overseas fraudsters used to get in contact with bidders via the Q&A or close auctions early to obtain their e-mail addresses to carry out their scams.

If the whole auction were to be deleted when closing early, i.e. no buyer/seller details exchanged, this would limit the possibility of such scams being carried out.

The same would apply to sellers listing prohibited items closing their listings after recieving a bid before G&M could catch up with them.

Sounds good to me....

Why would a seller want to close an auction even if they have a satisfactory price for the item? They may get more if they let it run, especially if auction sniping software works with ebid.
    I have an example of a genuine reason for closing an auction early. On the 'other side' I was offering a Louis Voitton wallet for sale. It had 22 bids with three days left to run when I found out that it was a fake. Rather than attract trouble I decided to cancel all bids and then delete the auction.

No FB either way.

PartiBoy

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by partiboy
    I have an example of a genuine reason for closing an auction early. On the 'other side' I was offering a Louis Voitton wallet for sale. It had 22 bids with three days left to run when I found out that it was a fake. Rather than attract trouble I decided to cancel all bids and then delete the auction.

No FB either way.

PartiBoy

Just a thought - on eBay when a bid is placed, you can have your preferences set to show bidder's email details. Here you can't - good thing in this instance. Because IF you were scamming on eBay, grab the high bidder's email, cancel bids, close auction, offer privately.

Here on eBid, there is no worry about fee avoidance (cos there's no fees on the whole)....so there is no reason why a GENUINE seller would want to close and offer privately....unless there was something naughty going on, I think.

Thread Information