Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gallery duplicates

Forum Lurker
    View f3speech's Feedback (+1703)
    All-About f3speech
    View f3speech's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default gallery duplicates

sorry to keep moaning about the gallery, but I don't have a lot of patience when I'm listing :lol:

I've just been into my gallery..... numerous duplicate piccys in there then!

Is there no way that when we upload the same pic (by giving the URL in the listing) they don't replicate like rabbits?

The prob then is that if you try and delete any of them they are all unique to an auction so the pic goes missing from the auction (tried it). A lot of the auctions I have (such as oils) have the same piccy, but I don't want to have to go thru the palaver of checking whether I have uploaded a piccy or not first, or finding that my gallery is full coz I have loads of duplicates.

You know how many auctions I can get going in one do...Sifting through hundreds of piccys isn't going to be fun.

Also, won't this cause implications for those that use bulk upload? I dunno coz I don't use it.

There seem to be a lot of gallery bugs :roll: can't be helped, but plz don't take offence if I keep bringing things up ops:

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: gallery duplicates

If you have a picture already uploaded, you should use the uploaded version and not keep uploading the same picture over and over...

Click on choose and pick the picture you want...

G
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

Forum Lurker
    All-About f3speech
    View f3speech's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazza
    If you have a picture already uploaded, you should use the uploaded version and not keep uploading the same picture over and over...

Click on choose and pick the picture you want...

G
    that was my point - with a lot of piccys up I don't want to have to keep going and searching to see if one is there really

Is there no way that you can set it so that they are attached to users rather than randomly named? We don't even get to see the piccy name that you've given it, just the piccy.

If you upload to something like Angelfire, they are linked to your username when they are uploaded. Could it not be done like this?

Not trying to be a pain here btw ops: :wink:

All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

We're gonna be adding the name of the picture pretty soon and adding sorting by size, date added, title etc...

I've never really tested things with lots and lots of pictures to choose from... is it grief? how many have you got in your gallery?

>>If you upload to something like Angelfire, they are linked to your username when they are uploaded.

Not sure what you mean, all the pictures you upload are all linked to your username, you dont get to see anyone elses...
    eBid.net

Forum Lurker
    All-About f3speech
    View f3speech's Listings
    Forum Posts

We're gonna be adding the name of the picture pretty soon and adding sorting by size, date added, title etc...

I've never really tested things with lots and lots of pictures to choose from... is it grief? how many have you got in your gallery?

>>If you upload to something like Angelfire, they are linked to your username when they are uploaded.

Not sure what you mean, all the pictures you upload are all linked to your username, you dont get to see anyone elses...
    what I mean is so that if I am loading the same piccy from the same place on my machine it will either overwrite or tell me its there (etc) rather than duplicate because it recognises that I have one there already.

Does that make sense?

I've hardly got any in my gallery, but I do have 350 auctions running :roll: I would like them ALL to be gallery items, but it looks like this won't be possible unless I now trawl thru to identify the piccy, upload it (for all of them) and then let you know so that you can change them!

I think your easiest option is to have an "upgrade" button on the update/delete page - I don't mind doing it that way. But can you imagine how may auctions you could be asked to upgrade? Most of mine are due to run for the next 10 weeks so I wouldn't mind getting it done before they end rather than when I relist them.

another point is, WE are missing out on our items being in the gallery and YOU are missing out on fees if they sell b4 they are put up there... :wink:

All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

We'll be adding "update to gallery" option in the edit section but it wont be for a week or so..

G
    eBid.net

Forum Lurker
    All-About f3speech
    View f3speech's Listings
    Forum Posts

We'll be adding "update to gallery" option in the edit section but it wont be for a week or so..

G
    That would be g8 if it was going to be relatively soon! A week or so is soon enough for me :wink:

Gaz you always make me feel like a muppet :lol: - I find it really hard to get across to you what I mean and I always feel like you are going to reply telling me that there is something obvious that I missed ops:

Must be a southener thing....

or maybe a Palace fan thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forum Lurker
    All-About f3speech
    View f3speech's Listings
    Forum Posts

could you give us all the nod when the upgrade button comes into action? :wink:

Also, would it be possible to see the total amount of size used by our gallery pics, or total amount of space free?

Would help out a lot. I've just had a quick look at mine and I'm not sure how much space they are taking up

All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'll add all that when we do the gallery upgrade, the edit auction upgrade is a different kettle of fish, so they will be done a t different times....

At the moment we dont have disk quotas on users galleries... We may have to add them though when we start running out of disk space...

G
    eBid.net

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Gaz

When I first started using your gallery service, we could give our pictures a name, now we can't

For my stuff that has resulted in lots of duplicates apearing because at thmbnail size so many of them look the same - especially the fishing lures, ceramics, and incense

We really need to have a user defined name visible for each picture before clicking on the "use this picture in my auction" link.

Also for those of us heading into the hundreds of different items, could we have a "show picture names only" text page option for speed of refresh?

On a similar touchy subject - not everyone is an Adopey Photoshop power user and therefore don't understand resizing and compressions (luckily I do so my pics load quickly even on a 56k modem) - but many people (like me) prefer to insert copyright notes into their pics - often attributing it to their web address.

I know this has implications on T's & C's but I spend a lot of time and money creating unique pictures for my website and use them in my auctions. I also recognise the touchiness about web URL's in listings so here's a simple suggestion .....

Have the server monitor a user's listings quantity - if they have over xxx listings with chargeable options selected, a button appears on their listings giving their web address. When their listings fall back below the minimum, the button disappears again - visibility checking could be done when a user selects to view a listing from the browse category window.

HOWEVER - to qualify, the user must have a link to eBid in their web site - again the checking can be automated with a spider or similar as a weekly task to the web addresses registered by users.

In that way it's a sort of affiliate program but without money changing hands.

What da ya think?

Gaz (not Gazza)

Thread Information