eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charles Edward Shaw can you help me??

Default Charles Edward Shaw can you help me??

Im having trouble finding anything out about CHARLES EDWARD SHAW I know he was a victorian painter and has paintings in Preston Museum UK but I cant find him in books or on the net?! i have one of his paintings given to me by Elizabeth Bradley, Helen Bradleys Daughter, and want to find out more about CE SHAW!
    :?

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Charles Edward Shaw can you help me??

I don't know how long you have had this painting.Why don't you ask the gifter for more information. :?

Or ask the museum at harris.museum@preston.gov.uk #-o

The only painting that I am aware of personally is a singed and inscribed 1884/5 of the Cloth Fair, Smithfield London. This sold for £54 in 1977.

Good luck in your search

well i did have some info from Elizabeth and she said that he was always at the house of her mothers as they were friends! Elizabeth relates tales of when she was small and having tea with LOWRY! and he gave her a cracked cup to drink from, she gave me the painting of SHAWS a few months ago to add to my collection and I have since emailed the harris museum and preston art galleries and they refuse to tell me anything!! or never email back so i may go and storm the building! its only a small painting and is taken from a painting CESHAW copied from Correggio and its dated around the of the 1890s....but thanks for your reply I may carry on badgering the museums!!!! tee hee xxxx :roll:

All-About thehoneyant
    Forum Posts

What is the title of the picture you have?
    Is it signed and dated?
    Is it Water colour or Oil on canvas?
    Shaw's water colours/pencil drawings tended to be smaller i.e. approx 7x5
    I am presuming that he came from the Nottingham area? from research, and there are no birth or death dates available,even from the larger galleries. One can only try to calculate his age from the picture dates. 1880/90

Helen Layfield Bradley was born in 1900.She did not start painting untill 1965. She met Lowery in the 1960s and he died in 1976.
    Shaw's Paintings (not a copy of copys of other artists as you have) were in his heyday in the 1880s making that 20 years before Helen was born. :-k
    Further than that, It's up to you. I would still go back to the gifter, as her mothers life is so well documented, even she can't forget. :wink:

Good Luck in your Quest.

All-About thehoneyant
    Forum Posts

I forgot to ask is the copy you have of the artist Antonio Da Correggio 1495-1534?

Puzzles me as to why Shaw would want to paint a copy of one of his painting's :? as they are far from the normal content of his style. Perhaps he just fancied painting a nude or two. :lol:

Anyway I'm sure you will keep me up to date with the mystery. :wink:

well its a water colour and dated between 1890/1900 as far as Elizabeth knows and he painted as a gift for Helen. Elizabeth says they used to do small painting in exchange for things from other people. Helen Bradley would paint small paintings for people in exchange for str8 cash and jewels, this was to fiddle the tax man! lol
    youve given me more info than the museums have they keep denying they have heard of him (dont know why0 and I have prints of his that clearly say ton the back "PRESTON ART GALLERY"! lol strange but there ya go
    will try and get a photo on here of the painting.
    Many thanks xxxxxx

All-About thehoneyant
    Forum Posts

[quote="pookachoo"] Helen Bradley would paint small paintings for people in exchange for str8 cash and jewels, this was to fiddle the tax man! lol[quote]

:-# Wonder if the tax man new about the 4 privately owned paintings that were sold in March this year 1 the cricket match sold for £51.750
    the others netted over £45.000

Marvellous when you think that Bonham's sold one in 1977 three years after it was painted for £1.200 :shock:

I wish I had one in my attic. :wink:

righty here goes![img]C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\My Briefcase[/img]

here goes again!

All-About thehoneyant
    Forum Posts

Gottcha this time :wink:
    I think that this was taken from this painting, an alterpiece.

Il Giorno ( Madonna and child with Saints Jerome (that's your bit) and Mary Magdalene.)

is that bit solved,? I would be interested to know what is actually written on your picture. 'cause i'm probably quite wrong. ops:

Liked your witches outfit :wink:

Thread Information