eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you want info on a craft or can offer info post here.

Default If you want info on a craft or can offer info post here.

Hi I thought it would be a good idea if anyone who does crafts could give advice and tips to others who are interested in trying out a new craft. I do the following crafts,

Sterling silver jewellery
    Soaps,
    Candles,
    Modeling,
    Mould making,
    Plaster casting,
    Pottery,
    Mosaics,
    Water colour painting,
    Oil painting,
    Drawing,
    Woodcarving,
    Woodworking,
    Sewing

So if anyone would like any hints and tips on the above, or you'd like to know what is involved in starting up in a craft just post a message here. And if anyone else would like to offer help and advice please post on here too.

Thanks

Jen

Default Re: If you want info on a craft or can offer info post here.

What a range, obviously a very busy lady

I might give you a shout regarding soaps & candles if I ever get the chance to give it a go.

Hi frances

I don't do them all the time. I tend to have a faze where I do one thing more than the others.

If anyone wants any pointers in the Card making direction, I will be only too pleased to offer my help.
    I do most aspects including
    Embossing
    Rubber stamping
    Decoupage
    Chalks
    Sizzix
    Watercolours (But only limited)
    Well if it will go on a card, I generally have had a go at it put it that way lol
    LUNA ST GEMS
    For All Your Crafting Needs

http://sumo.ebid.co.uk/perl/objects/...&type=user

Hi everyone,

I do modelling, miniature scenery and buildings. I recently started doing plaster and stone casting. I have been collecting moulds. Yesterday I bought a mould for cherubs and I am a little confused on how to use it. The instructions say use Ceramofix, I checked this out and it is a casting powder. I thought I should be able to use stone or plaster casting powder instead. Upon inspection of the mould it is in 2 parts that fit together and you pour in the casting mixture. The problem is that the mould does not seal around the edges and there is no tube to allow the mixture to be poured in. My question is has anyone used Ceramofix? Is it possible to substitute stone or plaster? What is the best way to seal around the 2 parts of a mould to stop the mixture escaping?

Hi noraya

I have never used a 2 part mould so my ideas might be worthless. But could you use plastacine to seal the edges? Also could you use a funel to pour in the plaster or is there absolutely no hole in the mould? If there is no hole perhaps you need to cast it in two parts then stick them together. I'd need to see a pic of the mould to come up with any better suggestions.

Also have you tried to see if the company who made it has a website?

As for using plaster instead I'd have thought you could. But perhaps you ought to test a small amount of the plaster in the mould to make sure it'll come out.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Hi, Thanks for your response.

While I was waiting I thought I would try and seal it with masking tape and use a funnel (good suggestion). I waited till the plaster started to thicken as I thought it would be less likely to leak. Unfortunately it didnt work, it leaked everywhere. I quickly got some other moulds and poured it into them so I didnt waste it all. I have an awful mess on my work table at the moment.

I also found I couldnt get the air bubbles out of the mixture, there were loads!!. I did check the website but it wasnt any help.

I usually use latex or rubber moulds, I bought this one because I like plaster cherubs and thought it might be good to make some to sell for xmas.

Thanks for your reply. The plasticine is a good idea, I did think I could use clay but it would have to go between the two pieces and then they wouldnt fit together properly. I thought of casting the two halves separately but it dosent look like it will work as they are not flat. The maker of the mould is eberhard faber.

Hi noraya

Can you post a pick of the mould on here or direct me to the website if it has a pic? Is it hard plastic? If so you should be able to pick up some mini clamps made from plastic (or try clothes pegs). You could seal the edges with plastacine or bluetac then clamp it together. Or, if the sides are straight, you could use the plastic strips that are used to seal re usable vac bags and hold paper together along with the blue tac.

A great way of making sure the plaster goes into all the small gaps, if you haven't already figured it out yourself, is to submerge laytex moulds in water. Then shake off the excess and pour the plaster straight in.

Let me know how you get on and I'll try and come up with some more ideas for you.

Mt. Marion New York, Avon, United Kingdom
    View aries458's Feedback (+470)
    All-About aries458
    View aries458's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Noraya! I read your post and may be able to give a few ideas.
    When mixing plaster, always measure the amount of water then sift the plaster into it, there are usually the amounts of plaster to water listed on the package.
    As for bubbles in the plaster:
    Mix your plaster slowly so as to not introduce air. If bubbles appear, tap the mould, it will bring the air bubbles trapped to the top and you can smoothe them out before the plaster sets.
    I pour plaster moulds for my wheel throwing for large items and that's how I do it.
    As for leaks, plumbers putty rolled into thin lengths and pressed around the spaces where the mould joins together will help prevent leakage. You may also need a mould rubber band. I work with plaster moulds and casting slip so I am assuming it works the same way.
    Hope this helps
    Playin in the mud

Mt. Marion New York, Avon, United Kingdom
    View aries458's Feedback (+470)
    All-About aries458
    View aries458's Listings
    Forum Posts

If anyone need help with:
    paper making, Soap making, mixing your own perfumes with essential oils, printing, pottery,glazing,glaze recipes, kiln repair, firing, design ideas for pottery, horse hair pottery and other areas of pottery making just ask and I'll try to help as much as possible
    Playin in the mud

Thread Information