Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Any PDA experts around?

Default Any PDA experts around?

Hiya

I've been a firm Palm fanatic for a few years now, and was convinced that nothing could make me move to PocketPC, until about a month ago when I got involved briefly with an iPAQ.

"Briefly" because about a week into our relationship, I bricked the damn thing.

So now I'm looking for a new one... probably a 3870 or 3970 (want BlueTooth), but the 54/54xx models look pretty good too. I have to stick to this format because I have a NAVMAN jacket which I'd like to continue using. Toshiba have some sexy models too, but I don't think they'll work with the jacket.

Any comments? Advice? Recommendations? Stay-away warnings?

Ta

Ken.

Default Re: Any PDA experts around?

Hiya,

I have an IPAQ 3850 and love it........It is brilliant.....

As for the NAVMAN, first I have to say "you lucky swine", I am looking at going GPS on my IPAQ but am struggling to find a cheap way of doing it.

I am not sure if the NAVMAN Jacket will fit on anything other than the make you already have..........Is it for an IPAQ, if so, it will fit on the 3870 and 3970 no bother.

Only differences between the 38xx and 39xx models are faster processor (twice if I remember correctly) and I think the memory on the 39xx is double too (not 100% sure though).

As for buying price.......if you are after the cheaper method, get the 3870, it is the same as mine but with bluetooth (which I have no need for....YET).

If you can't get the NAVMAN to work and you need a good home for it to go to ...... I am always available :wink:

Hope this has helped a little.
    Andy - The MAD Scotsman

View my Current Auctions or Visit my website
    MORE ITEMS COMING SOON !!!!!

Hi Andy

Yeah lucky me! I picked up the iPAQ (a 3630) with the NAVMAN 3000 and THREE original navigation software packages... one of them does Voice, which is great! It was absolutely fantastic... until I bricked it.

I've now decided that PalmOS was fun while it lasted, but PocketPC is the way to go, and can't do without an iPAQ. Since Compaq want £277 to repair a £100 unit, I've decided to bin it and buy a fancy new one. Top pick for me would be the H5450, but I'll be happy with a 3970, and may even settle for a 3870. It's gotta have BlueTooth, and it may as well be quick!

There is a danger that the NAVMAN jacket won't work with the H54 series, in which case I'll give you a shout. In the meantime, browse around the auctions, they often come up.

Cheers

Will do m8 and good luck in finding what you are after.

Cheers for now :wink:
    Andy - The MAD Scotsman

Hey Andy

I ended up ordering a 3970 (wheee!), so I guess I'll be hanging on to that NAVMAN for a while.

I've seen plug-in GPS receivers for as low as £94 retail - not jacket-style, just a cable & receiver. Search the net, this gear is out there!

Good luck,

Ken.

Ken,

About a week ago, I got a USB GPS for my Laptop, it kicks butt.......I am however looking to get rid of it and buy a CF GPS with PCMCIA adapter and arial cable, then I will just have to get a CF Jacket for the IPAQ......best of both Worlds that way !!!!

Glad to hear you went for the 3970.......Good choice ;-)

Cheers for now
    Andy - The MAD Scotsman

Thread Information