Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re: hard drives

Default re: hard drives

I've got a 40gb hard drive, which is nearly full. Anyone know if it is a simple idiot-proof job to add another hard drive to it (say another 40gb)? Or is it a job a PC expert has to do?

Madcatwoman :roll:

View 2steps's Feedback (+525)
    All-About 2steps
    View 2steps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: re: hard drives

Another hard drive can be fitted fairly easily I believe, but you have to be sure to set them up correctly, one must be master, the other slave (there's a little switch on the case of the hard drive) The pc should reconise it as new hardware when it's turned on after.

If you want to get it done for you, as near me there are two shops that do repairs upgrades etc, one charges £40 an hour and the other only £20

To get an answer why not visit this site and leave a message on the board and I'm sure Hybrid who as 30 years experiance in computers will give you all the answers you require he is brilliant and as helped me on numerous occasions to sort out all my pc problems

He'll tell if you can add another 40 gb once he knows the profile of your computer .
    We all think we know what we have in our computer.
    At one point i had a new comp built and it was hybrid that sussed out they had put an old motherboard in dating back to 1997 which xp didn't take kindly to so all sorts of problems was arising ,to get a print out of your computer profile download this at http://blogroll.co.uk/computer/
    I'm sure you will be suprised

This is the site http://uk.msnusers.com/TechnicalPCHelpDesk for anyone who as a pc you need this site.

the little switch on the hard drive you are referring to is a jumper,by default when you buy a hard drive this jumper is set as master or cable select so you would need to move the jumper to the slave position [often the position of the jumpers are displayed on a sticker on the hard drive] if you were using the second drive as the slave drive,overall it isn't a complex job and would take me a few minutes,i wouldn't pay anyone £20 or above to do it for example,but then i'd never pay for computer repairs anytime,and some folk just cash in on peoples naivety with computers,and make the simplest task sound like a major operation.for example i wouldn't charge to fit a modem,network card,memory etc..shops charge £20 and above for these things.

View 2steps's Feedback (+525)
    All-About 2steps
    View 2steps's Listings
    Forum Posts

ah that's it. Couldn't remember what it was called :roll: Never had that much interest in hardware, know a little bit. Definatly agree that people try to make computers sound much more complicated than they are.
    My dad says 'give me a car to rebuild anyday, but I'm lost with one of them things' :wink:

Hi,

We've got stacks of hard drives in stock with the cables and advice at hand on how to fit them. This is something you should be able to do yourself within 10 - 15 minutes without any hassle.

Cheers
    PH

Ta, mate.

Mind if I contact you (on "question before buying" section) to make sure there aren't any probs (compatibility, special tools needed etc) I need to know about before I think about purchasing? I was looking at a 60gb maybe? (bigger the better?)

Sandra

Sandra,

You can PM me if you like, we'll sort you out with a drive and any other necessary items. Just give me an idea of how old your system is and that should be sufficient.

We've definately got some 60GB drives and think we have some 80GB's too.

Cheers,
    PH

Quote Originally Posted by sdys15453 View Post
    I've got a 40gb hard drive, which is nearly full. Anyone know if it is a simple idiot-proof job to add another hard drive to it (say another 40gb)? Or is it a job a PC expert has to do?

Madcatwoman :roll:
    HI,I HAVE 3 FUJITSU 146GB HARD DRIVES FOR SALE,ALSO 30 256MB AND 30X512MB.
    I WAS WONDERING IF YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED IN MAKING ME A OFFER,PLEASE CONTACT ME ON TEL:-07931222332,I CAN SELL ITEMS SEPERATLY

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Boy, what an old thread!

Just for anyone's interest, these days a 160GB 3.5" (standard desktop) hard drive is about £45 new, so you shouldn't be paying any more than £35 second hand delivered. With 1TB (1,000 GB) hard drives becoming more the norm and not costing the earth, anything less than 120GB is practically worthless. Just the way technology goes! I remember when a 10MB hard drive was impressive.. *sigh*
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Thread Information